Double Diabetes

I gained weight in the 1990s when I switched from animal insulin to modern day insulins. I was not doing anything different with my eating or exercise. My routine was the same, but I kept on gaining. By the end of the 1990s I had gained 57 pounds. I was using 40% more insulin than I was using at the beginning of that decade. I was diagnosed with insulin resistance. The weight gain caused that. I was a type 1 with insulin resistance. That is called "double diabetes". My doctor prescribed a type 2 med (Avandia) to reduce the insulin resistance. It has worked well for me for 11 years now.

Several years later I joined a few online diabetes support groups. Other type 1 diabetics had the same problem and told me it was the modern day insulins that caused the weight gain. I had reduced my insulin dosage to normal and I was no longer gaining weight, but I needed to lose the weight I had already gained. I cut my daily carb intake to 130g and increased my exercising each day. In the year that followed I lost almost all the extra weight. In 2007 I started using an insulin pump. Pumping gave me much better control and I now have very few bad lows and highs. Like type 2 diabetics, I will never be able to eliminate my insulin resistance, but with Avandia and losing weight it is not giving me any problems. I have very good control after 64 years of type 1 and I have no complications.

Type 2 diabetics can also become double diabetics. For some type 2 diabetics, their is less and less insulin production as time advances. The pancreas wears down in time and they become insulin dependant. A type 2 with very little insulin production, or none at all, is a double diabetic. I have type 2 friends who use an insulin pump. They are still type 2 though since they still have the insulin resistance that made them type 2 in the first place. I am still type 1, despite my insulin resistance, since my pancreas still does not produce insulin.

Double diabetes is being diagnosed more and more often, but many doctors do not realize a type 1 can develop insulin resistance.

Richard...wasn't it bad news that I recently heard about Avandia?  Or was that another type 2 medication?  Something about increased risk for strokes and/or heart attacks?  Just an FYI.....

You are right Angela. That claim has been made since 2007. They have not really confirmed the report beyond a shadow of a doubt. So far, Avandia is still being sold in the USA. If it is eventually stopped, I will probably take Metformin. I have read about Type 1 diabetics using Metformin to tackle their insulin resistance. It is a safe medication.

Since I have used Avandia for 11 years with no side effects, I feel safe with it. There is only a small percentage of users who have supposedly had heart/stroke problems with it. Even if a user does have a heart attack, how can they tell that Avandia caused it? Heart problems is the number one cause of death among diabetics. That is true among diabetics who do NOT use Avandia too. I think the case against Avandia is weak.

Great information.  You have to know what is right for you.  If it is giving you good control, then it must be doing its job!  It's great to be your friend!!  Thanks for the request! 

Hopefully after puberty is done Ri loses her insulin resistance. So far from what I have read most of the time it happens that way so fingers crossed that is just the funky hormones. It should be tho she is not big in the belly at all.