Driving with T1D?

Hi!

I recently moved from California to Utah. I went to the Utah DMV to trade my CA drivers license for a Utah one. I am legally required to do so within 2 months of moving.

The Utah DMV destroyed my CA drivers license and issued me a temporary paper drivers license and said my drivers license card will come in the mail within 4 weeks. This was perfect, since I was supposed to be flying 5 weeks after applying for the license. Today my husband received his drivers license in the mail, but all I got was a piece of paper for my doctor to sign. My first Utah endocrinology appointment isn’t until December 10th, but I am flying back home for my grandmas birthday in California on December 7th. I am only staying for 24 hours, then heading home to Utah.

The TSA doesn’t accept temporary paper drivers licenses for flying, and my CA drivers license was destroyed by the Utah DMV when they issued my temporary one. Has anybody found themselves trying to fly in between drivers licenses due to a medical condition? I don’t have a passport or any other photo ID. This is such a bizarre situation. I’m hoping somebody else may have experienced something similar while waiting for doctor approval for a drivers license? Thanks!

Hi @JKKS. No I haven’t had this happen (I also never declared a medical condition on my DL) but you should check to see if Utah has a non driver photo ID (many states do) which will allow you to fly. Your old doctor should sign the consent as well- have you asked?

Consider getting a passport because proof of name is a complete pain if you don’t have one.

Good luck.

You CAN fly domestically without a photo ID at the discretion of the TSA. Sometimes peoples’ IDs get lost or stolen or the DMV messes things up. My daughter did this last summer. Take originals, if you can, or copies of everything you can think of that establishes your identity: birth certificate, Social Security card, copy of expired IDs or passport, college ID, receipt from the DMV, marriage certificate, invitation to your grandmother’s party or printout of email, etc.

" Forgot Your ID?
In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You will be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.
You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.
TSA recommends that you arrive at least two hours in advance of your flight time."
GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your GRANDMA!

1 Like