Dry skin

Hello,

my son was just diagnosed with type 1 in september.....since then his skin is sooooo dry. is this normal or is it just a coincedence?

Dry skin can be due to lots of things: dehydration, eczema, psoriasis, weather changes...

For me, since the beginning of October my skin has been really dry because the air changed from humid to dry. I wash my hands a lot throughout the day, so I just make sure to keep lotion close by otherwise they turn red and get itchy/burny. 

I don't know if your son's dry skin is necessarily d-related, but it could be. People with d or other autoimmune disorders are more prone to eczema and psoriasis. If you're worried about it or if regular lotion doesn't take care of it, you can try taking him to a dermatologist. Mine gave me a topical steroid to rub on my skin before bed when the dryness gets really bad. Within one or two uses my skin is much better and I won't have to use it again for a couple weeks. 

Good luck :o) Hope you can figure it out quickly!

Since he was so recently diagnosed, it might just be a result of the high bloodsugars. Sarah's dry skin was actually my primary indicator that something was wrong. She LOVES water and has been addicted to it since she was a baby, so the excessive drinking and peeing was totally normal. But a side effect of drinking lots of water (in non D people) is beautiful smooth skin. When her skin all of a sudden began to get dry and flaky, that's when I KNEW something was really wrong with her.

[quote user="C"]

I don't know if your son's dry skin is necessarily d-related, but it could be. People with d or other autoimmune disorders are more prone to eczema and psoriasis.

[/quote]

C - I did not know that!! That explains a lot of what I've been going through recently :P Thanks for the insight!

another one of those random, fairly useless facts i learned in school :op

YES, really just in the fall and winter when the air is really dry.  I've never been dx'd w/ any other skin condition.  It may or may not be D related, my thought is that it is just normal based on the weather.

Jason

[quote user="rockgal84"]

[quote user="C"]

I don't know if your son's dry skin is necessarily d-related, but it could be. People with d or other autoimmune disorders are more prone to eczema and psoriasis.

[/quote]

C - I did not know that!! That explains a lot of what I've been going through recently :P Thanks for the insight!

[/quote]

My light bulb went off too, it gets really scratchy and it's not THAT cold yet....

I noticed much dryer skin too since I've been diagnosed, and I've heard it from a few other people too.
I go through a few bottles of Gold Bond Ultimate moisturizing cream a month! I also sleep with a humidifier on which helps a lot too :)

My son tends to have dry skin but he has always tended to be that way. I have really dry skin too and tend to have eczema breakouts from time to time.  It helps to really slather on a good thick lotion (Vanicream) after every bath and try not to bathe everyday. Now with summer over, my son is not getting so sweaty and dirty every day, so we only do baths 1-2 times a week. (He is 5 too.)

Here are other tips for preventing dry skin.

1. Shower vs. take a bath if you can. If a bath, just get clean, don't soak. Soaking actually can pull moisture OUT of dry skin.

2. Use warm water not hot.

3. Only use soap where needed. (Like armpits, groin, feet).

4. When you finish bathing, pat dry don't rub dry with the towel.

5. Then SLATHER yourself with a thick moisturizer. My dermatologist recommends Vanicream though I also like Vaseline Intensive Therapy. A cream vs. a lotion is usually thicker.

6. Using a humidifier helps too at night.

7. Drink lots. (Water, tea, juice, even soda counts.) Just drink lots. It really does help.

If he has particularly dry spots - you can put Vaseline on them at night. (I do this during the winter on my hands and then put socks over my hands. It makes my husband laugh, but it does really help.)

Hi, How are you adjusting to having a "Newborn Baby" again ( cause really that's what it feels like!)  How old is your son?  My son was diagnosed in May of this year at the age of 7.  It was so overwhelming!!!! and at time still can be!  What really get's me is the 3:00 a.m. checks (are you having to do those yet?) Hang in there!  after a few months it starts to get a little bit easier.  But from a parents perspective.... I still have not been able to relax about any of this...

I just replied to a post on the symptoms I feel when having high or low blood sugars.  This is one I forgot about.

The backs of my hands will get dry and scratchy if Im moderately high for a few hours.

I too have had to install a humidifier in my home to battle dry skin during the winter months.

-- Jason