Easter Basket

This is our first Easter with Type 1 in my daughter. I went and bought everything for my kids baskets, as I always have. And when I was in the aisle with all of the candy I almost completely lost it. It's silly because my kids never have been allowed to eat candy, or junk food. Even last year there was almost no candy in their baskets, and I realize I could just do it in small doses, Anyway, we've been doing great, tomorrow will be 4 months. And honestly I don't even think of it that often, but this was one of those things that sort of hit me in the face.

On the bright side I got them each baskets themed on gardening. They are 2 and 4 and they will love them and it will be a great easter. 

It's just that once in a while you sort of get the feel sorry for yourself/kid because they can't be just like all the other kids. This to shall pass.

My mom used to fill my basket with beef jerky, peanuts, pretzels, and crystal light! Somtimes I'd get sugar free candy, however it's not very polite on our stomachs and doesnt taste the same! lol.... I often got coloring books, or word puzzles and other activity based things! I however always felt left out because my younger sister would still get all the "good stuff" ~ Im happy to hear your giving both your children the same things in their baskets! It will help your T1D daughter feel a little more "normal" Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions!

I am not about to give one child anything I wouldn't get for the other child. That has nothing to do with Type 1. 

Yeah wish my mom was a little more like you! LOL

If you saw the amount of candy and other junk my daughter eats I would be thrown off this web site. She could eat nothing but candy, cookies. Maybe some fried chicken and mac and cheese. It drives me nuts. I hang my head in shame. It got much worse after she was diagnosed. 

I love the garden theme idea!

I had a weird moment like that a little while back.  I think I've done a really great job adjusting to my life with diabetes and I've really never asked, "Why me?"  But I was in the grocery store and walking through the "lunchbox" aisle and looking at all these yummy, carby, junky snacks, then thought about how I used to be able sit down with a BAG of that stuff and eat however much I wanted without thinking, then I was suddenly thinking, "Everyone else eats that way, and I can't!  Why?  It's SO not fair!  It's SO not cool!  I'll never get to eat like a normal person!"  And I was just like, "Whoaaaa, where did that come from?"

Out of nowhere.  You think you're just fine, and maybe you are doing great, but that definitely doesn't mean that anger and grief aren't still there.  That seems healthy, especially when it's your child (for whom you have a natural protective instinct) has it.  You can deal with diabetes, be positive about it, and work treatment into life as seamlessly as possible, but I don't think a parent could ever be just be OK with their child having diabetes.

In my opinion, diabetes just means moderation and care, not elimination.  On holidays I think it should be fine to eat some candy, as long as it is covered with insulin, etc.  Still, holidays like Easter can be equated with a ton of things besides food...I love the gardening idea.  We can't be defined by what we "can" and "can't" eat even though most holidays tend to focus on food.  Holidays are celebrations and there are many ways to celebrate that don't involve eating.

That said, it can definitely be really hard during those moments when you realize that how you've lived for months or years is so different from how the average person lives.  It's tough not to feel sorry for yourself (and whoever you know who has diabetes) sometimes.  I always feel guilty about feeling bad and wanting a cure because I feel like it's unjustified; I've been given this problem to deal with and people suffer from much worse things.  I'm lucky and I should have to deal with this disease.  But we can't feel bad about acknowledging our feelings about diabetes.  Because it does suck.  Normal people don't worry about so many things that burden us.  It is unfair.  In the end, though, we have to accept our emotions and manage them the best we can.  We are lucky and unlucky, and we can't change that.  

I was sitting in orchestra rehearsal today thinking about having diabetes for some reason.  I imagined that the different people in the room had diabetes, wore pumps, worried about lows and highs.  It was slightly upsetting but a little comforting to think about that, because for a few seconds I didn't feel so alone.  

I'm going to try to end this on a positive note - at least on Juvenation we all have to face the same challenges.  We aren't alone on here.  Happy Easter!! 

Avasma,

A gardening theme is fantastic and interactive, and much better than eating candy. It is something that you all can get involved in as a family. You guys can color eggs and have fun that way as well, and its CARB FREE!! I understand about feeling sorry for yourself but you would be surprised how things don't really phase a child.

I can't wait to hear how your easter will go!

Sorry you had a bad moment. ): Those still hit me once in a while. (Such as when I was newly pregnant, hysterically worried about my BG's, and saw another pregnant woman eating pizza -- I lost it crying, lol.)

Glad you're treating both girls the same. I hope they love their baskets. My almost 3 year old son loves his gardening toys. (:

Avasma ~

I had that same moment while shopping for Valentine's Day........my 12 year old daughter was just diagnosed 4 months ago, too.  Fortunately, we never did a ton of candy/junk for Easter baskets.  Our "tradition" is for both the kids to get a new swimsuit and pool toys or some spring/summer theme.  I totally agree that one child isn't excluded.  I have those sad feelings that come out of the blue.  In fact, one day while Christmas shopping with my son and daughter we decided to grab lunch at the food court at this yummy Japanese place.  It was such a weird moment when my non-diabetic 9 year old son looked around at all the people (kids) eating Panda Express and Sbarro pizza and said "Do they really know what they're eating?  They probably don't because they don't have to think about it".  

I firmly, firmly believe that life is about moderation.  On my daughter's 12th birthday in early February she kept saying she just wanted a chocolate cake.  We had a chocolate cake, she loved it, and ate NONE of it.  She just sat there and looked at it.  She just had a look on her face that I will never forget.  Asked her if she wanted some, and she said, "no, I'm not hungry......I just like looking at it"............that was a tough night for me.

I think we just take our moments for what they are, experience them, but then let them go.  God holds our hand thru it all.....

Happy Easter ~ hopefully we all see ourselves as the emerging butterfly in new life and not stuck in the cocoon. 

Holidays can be rough for diabetics - especially Halloween and Easter.  I was diagnosed when I was 7 and 23 years later - I still have those 'feel-sorry for myself' moments.  I believe they're justified b/c no one will really understand what we go through unless you are a diabetic.  That's why these websites are soo important!!  I can't stand when I eat well and say no to goodies and people say 'oh just take more insulin and you'll be fine'.  Really?? Are you going to be by my side in the middle of the night when I'm 300 ?? I highly doubt it !!

Anyways - when it comes to diabetes and the holidays - moderation is the key!  I'm a huge peanut butter and chocolate fan!! When I was younger my mom use to fill my easter basket w/ peanut butter cups and fun decorative socks, funky pens and whatever else I was into.  I was always allowed to have a peanut butter cup that morning and my mom would put the rest away.  Again, everything in moderation !  I just turned 30 last year and my mom still wants to make Easter baskets for me and my brother (he's 27).  We laugh, but it makes her happy and last year I got a lovely sewing basket.  Stick with what your kids are interested in - they'll appreciate it !!

My mom would try to do interactive Easter baskets too! Funny thing, the only one I can really remember is when my siblings and I got fishing poles for Easter.  I loved it. She would give more toys and a little regular candy to my other siblings and sugar free for me. There was a chocolate shop in my town that had some sugar free chocolate, and while it's not quite the same, it came in a super pretty box and I felt super special getting that. As I got older, I would get earrings or a new CD that I really wanted, and at that point I was old enough not to really care if my little brother got a bunch of chocolate. I am also a twin, (my sister is not a diabetic). My mom actually had to go out of her way to give us different baskets, if we got the same thing, we would get mad because then we were "the same", we hated getting the same stuff. But that is the perspective of a twin I guess, and not everybody else. Haha.

It's not required for diabetics to restrict sugar for Easter or other holidays.  Hasn't been since we first learned about carb counting and insulin sensitivity factors back in the early 1990's. 

Of course it's not good for anyone (diabetic or not) to eat lots of sugar and blood sugars can be slightly high for a couple hours if you don't carb count the goodies correctly.  But treats shouldn't be completely off limits to any kid because they are diabetic.  

Also, beware of the sugar-free candy.  It usually tastes weird and has about as many carbs as the real stuff. 

Ana4 - I'm sitting here crying! I've been there. Sometimes we can be happy in our lives, but sad about our situation at the moment. I didn't get diagnosed until I was 20, but I still feel for you daughter.

Honestly - your family will be healthier for it. Not many 9 year olds would walk into a food court and think that way. Those other kids/people might not *have* to think that way, but we all should.

When she is older you can get her magazines, makeup & Starbucks giftcards:)  (I have been type 1 since age 7).  I used to get candy in my basket when I was little, but I probably kept it for later when I went low, haha.  It is hard being "denied" certain things when you are young like that, but they should still be able to eat things like that if you count the carbs for them.  I know sometimes candy has weird and bad effects, but for the most part they should be okay to eat. :) 

Thanks for being supportive and keeping your head up as a parent of a type 1 diabetic.  I can't imagine raising a kid (let alone more than 1) with type 1.  I commend you!

@ Hayley only one of my daughters has type 1, I just treat them both the same. It certainly won't hurt the little one to eat healthy and keep track of carbs, and it keeps my older one from feeling like she is different. We all eat the same food in our house. My husband and I have both lost weight in the past 4 months. 

Thank  you for the ideas....this discussion has helped!  My 10-year old daughter was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago with T1.  With all of the new changes and adjustments in our lives I had completely forgotten about Easter!  I have two other children and I don't want my daughter to feel left out or different.  UGH!!!......just when I feel like I'm getting a small handle on these things, a new obstacle shows up! 

Olivia - age 10 - dx 4/4/11

growing up around easter my mom would buy some toys, she would buy some sugar free candy as well as regular candy. she would give my sister and i both regular and sugar free. she wouldnt let me just eat all the sugar or even sugar free candy. she believes that u shouldnt just take all sugary stuff away or else its going to be like the whole adam and eve forbidden fruit.. telling someone they cant have something makes them want it more. its not that my sister or i would get to eat all of it in one sitting. she would just regulate how much we both had. i have always been the only diabetic in the house, and she didnt want to make me feel different.

I am a T1 and my 5 year old son is also a T1....We always have candy and junk in our house!!! It is put up on top of the fridge and once a day my son can pick a snack. Everything is measured into a snack size amount and there are healthy and unhealthy things in the basket. Growing up, I was very rarely allowed to have sweets. That made me sneak and get it. I dont ever want my son to think that he cant have anything. He can have everything and anything that he wants....In moderation of course :-)

I am a T1 and my 5 year old son is also a T1....We always have candy and junk in our house!!! It is put up on top of the fridge and once a day my son can pick a snack. Everything is measured into a snack size amount and there are healthy and unhealthy things in the basket. Growing up, I was very rarely allowed to have sweets. That made me sneak and get it. I dont ever want my son to think that he cant have anything. He can have everything and anything that he wants....In moderation of course :-) Even before he was diagnosed we had mostly toys in the easter basket though. We put bubbles and sidewalk chalk, coloring books, silly putty play doh ect