Ebd

Excessive Bolusing Disorder. does anyone have that? where you bolus for your meal then go i want some milk. drink it and in the next minute you bolus again?

I used to be really bad at doing that a couple years ago.  My doc would look at my pump data and scratch her head.  I was never bad bs wise but once I quite doing it, my levels did get a bit better.  Boy was that a tough habbit to break - fed the hunger and fed eating more.  It took about a week going "cold turkey" but I finally did it.  :)

NOw this is a first. I have never heard of this LOL EBD sorry to laugh it just was funny to me for some reason. Anyway, I never had a compulsive bolusing disorder, I wish I would maybe my numbers would be better!

It's difficult for my diabetic friends and I to keep to what we count, especially at camp :) We have an on-going joke-habbit (that really isn't that funny) that all the diabetics fill up on water and veggies at meals. Literally, that's were all of those two items go - the majority of, anyway. ADA at the camp doesn't allow you to EBD on your own :) So we were kind of out of options. I just tell myself to stick to what I counted, fill up on the freebies, and then I'll just wait until the next meal.

Ok, forgive my ignorance here, but what's wrong with that? I've been doing that for years...bolusing every time I eat something. I've never had a problem (since I was a kid anyway) with my BGs so I guess I never had reason to do anything differently.

Can someone fill me in on why that's a bad thing?

[quote user="Kristen"]

Ok, forgive my ignorance here, but what's wrong with that? I've been doing that for years...bolusing every time I eat something. I've never had a problem (since I was a kid anyway) with my BGs so I guess I never had reason to do anything differently.

Can someone fill me in on why that's a bad thing?

[/quote]

Is it really a bad thing? I always do this...especially when eating out if I feel compelled to finish my friend or date's food :)

Isn't it the same thing as your pancreas actually producing more insulin for whatever you eat when you decide to get a second wind or that you want to drink something with carbs etc?

Hi, my name is Pat and I have EBD :)

Although our pumps are trying to imitate a pancreas, let's face it they are not the same thing.
It can be a problem for those who are more sensitive. I too had to break myself of this habit. My biggest problem with my "EBD" was popcorn. I would make my popcorn, bolus and enjoy, only to go low shortly after. Over time I realized I do not need to bolus before my popcorn, but afterward. It may not apply to all, but it has really helped me out.

You could try doing an extended bolus.  There are certain foods that I have problems with too, where my blood sugar doesn't go up until a little while later.  And also for instances when I sit down to eat dinner when my blood sugar's already a little on the low side.  If I do an extended bolus then I don't run the risk of forgetting to bolus later on.

[quote user="Pat"]

Is it really a bad thing? I always do this...especially when eating out if I feel compelled to finish my friend or date's food :)

Isn't it the same thing as your pancreas actually producing more insulin for whatever you eat when you decide to get a second wind or that you want to drink something with carbs etc?

[/quote]

It isn't really a bad thing, however, for me it made sense to go back to sticking to 5 smaller meals a day.  As is normal when you get older and from what I've noticed after having the D so long is that the metab really starts to slow down.  When I was a kid or in my 20's or even early 30's, it really wasn't an issue.  I started to put on weight slowly and couldn't figure out why - granted I had shoulder issues but I had cut the calorie intake to compensate for a reduced workout load - needless to say, once I stopped the EBD's, weight gain stopped and I started to lose it.  I have the feeling that young bucks like you won't have that issue.

[quote user="Doug D"]

[quote user="Pat"]

[/quote]

It isn't really a bad thing, however, for me it made sense to go back to sticking to 5 smaller meals a day.  As is normal when you get older and from what I've noticed after having the D so long is that the metab really starts to slow down.  When I was a kid or in my 20's or even early 30's, it really wasn't an issue.  I started to put on weight slowly and couldn't figure out why - granted I had shoulder issues but I had cut the calorie intake to compensate for a reduced workout load - needless to say, once I stopped the EBD's, weight gain stopped and I started to lose it.  I have the feeling that young bucks like you won't have that issue.

[/quote]

I'd do smaller meals a day if I had the means by which to do it, and as I mentioned in another thread, no stoner roommate & his friends who eat all my food in the house...not to mention drink my beer :(

But yeah, I intend on keeping the intensity of exercise/sports etc. constant until my body can no longer handle it. If I eat more than 2 meals a day I feel rotund and sluggish. Just used to burning the candle at both ends and bolusing whatever I need whenever I need it.

Glad it isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

Okay everyone, I'm still not 100% clear on exactly what EBD is all about...  Perhaps I'm still a little sleepy this morning and not thinking too straight...

Is it that you bolus before eating/drinking, then take in the carbs, then bolus again because you're going low?  In which case, you end up taking in even more carbs and, most likely, calories as well?

I may be way off target here, I don't know...  But thanks to whomever is going to have the patience to explain this to me as if I was a child!

Nothing worse when the roommates eat your food - especially during a low and you go to the fridge and nothing is there!   You would have a lot of character witnesses if you decided to take him out.  (just kidding people - well, sorta)

That's me in a nutshell right there. I don't know why I do it I just do. It's kind of weird.

[quote user="Doug D"]

Nothing worse when the roommates eat your food - especially during a low and you go to the fridge and nothing is there!   You would have a lot of character witnesses if you decided to take him out.  (just kidding people - well, sorta)

[/quote]

Trust me, I flipped out when they ate the snacks I had for when I go low. TWO boxes of NutriGrain bars! They have 21g of carbs in each (or something like that) and are perfect if I feel low or just want a snack...Smokey McPot and co. ate all of them! All I got was "Dudeeeee, me and my friends ate everythinggggg..ha.ha" I just eat lunch now because of him =(

Only a couple more months then I'm moving to a condo further downtown :)

That's for this thread. I'm curious to hear other people have thought about this too... I try not to bolus too many times in a row b/c then I get confused how much insulin is actually in my system later ... sometimes I go low, sometimes not. But, if I bolus once for dinner, once for dessert and aim low on the 2nd bolus, I'm usually okay. When I bolus for a meal and still feel hungry after, I'll try to eat a little something and see if I can get away w/o a 2nd bolus and just correct a little after as needed. But, that's probably not recommended in the books. (:

I don't think it's a bad thing, I apologize for it coming across as such. Personally, I just try to avoid it because if I let myself bolus for more, the end of "more" never comes!

i do it sometimes. other times i just wait and check my bloodsugar later and do a correction dose.

sometimes i over dose with my insulin if im at a party or something..cuz i know i'll eat more than i first expect to.

[quote user="Sarah"]

I try not to bolus too many times in a row b/c then I get confused how much insulin is actually in my system later ... sometimes I go low, sometimes not.

[/quote]

My Animas 2020 pump has an Insulin-on-Board feature that I use.  If my BG is a little high, before I do a correction bolus, I check the IOB.  If there is still quite a bit of insulin left in my body, I wait for a while, test again and then determine the course of action to take.

[quote user="Nads"]

[quote user="Sarah"]

I try not to bolus too many times in a row b/c then I get confused how much insulin is actually in my system later ... sometimes I go low, sometimes not.

[/quote]

My Animas 2020 pump has an Insulin-on-Board feature that I use.  If my BG is a little high, before I do a correction bolus, I check the IOB.  If there is still quite a bit of insulin left in my body, I wait for a while, test again and then determine the course of action to take.

[/quote]

I'm on MDI, not a pump. But, when I was on a pump, I found it to overestimate how much insulin was left in my system...

[quote user="Pat"]

[quote user="Doug D"]

[quote user="Pat"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'd do smaller meals a day if I had the means by which to do it, and as I mentioned in another thread, no stoner roommate & his friends who eat all my food in the house...not to mention drink my beer :(

But yeah, I intend on keeping the intensity of exercise/sports etc. constant until my body can no longer handle it. If I eat more than 2 meals a day I feel rotund and sluggish. Just used to burning the candle at both ends and bolusing whatever I need whenever I need it.

Glad it isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

[/quote]

Like Doug,

I also went back to the old ways of doing things with 6 small meals a day and my BS is so much better.