EVERY time my son has an egg omelet for breakfast with ANY other carbs (usually between 15-30) his blood sugar is between 200-230 at noon.
Here's the facts:
It doesn't matter if he is 80 or 180 before the meal.
I have tried to "pad" the carb number a little to help. (3 grams per egg used). Doesn't matter.
People think I am crazy. I have put this to the test over, and over, and over, and over during the last 2 months. Canteloupe, milk, cereal for breakfast = target lunch number. Canteloupe, milk, cereal, and omelet = 200+ lunch number. It doesn't seem to matter what the carbs are: cereal, strawberries, milk, steel cut oatmeal, instant oatmeal, any of it gives us a target number. Add an omelet to it and he's high. Take it away, he's perfect.
The omelet is just eggs, bacon or ham sometimes, and a sprinkle of cheddar. No milk in it.
DexCom data shows a steady climb after breakfast; leveling off (at the high point) about 3 hours post meal and staying there until lunch which is 4 hours post breakfast.
We are fairly new to the pump and have played around a little with combo bolus. I thought maybe this was the answer. Today we "padded" the carbs by 3 grams for each egg eaten (is this just nuts?) and then did a combo bolus of 75% immediately and the other 25% over the next 2 hours. He was still over 200 at lunch.
I am not able to get much help with the combo bolus feature. I just keep hearing that it's trial and error. Trial and error if on myself would be one thing. Trial and error on my 11 year old is a little more nerve wracking.
Maybe I can kill 2 birds with one stone here. Do you experienced pumpers add additional units to your dose when you are performing a combo bolus. Because here's what seems to happen. If he eats mexican and we dose for the entire carb load 15 minutes before the meal -- it holds his number just perfectly for about 4 hours --- then LOOK OUT! 300's here we come. I am just sure the combo bolus should be able to handle these situations. I just don't know how.
OK, there you go. Answer one question or answer them both. Just please answer.