Etiquette

Recently, I saw a lady at a coffee shop with pump tubing hanging out a bit. So, I went up to her and asked if she had D and said that I had it too. I happened to be there w/ someone I know through work who also has T1. The lady acted all offended, said yes, and rushed off. I felt awkward after. Would you have said anything? I thought it would be ok b/c I also have T1 and was with someone who did.

Some people are weird about it. I would probably be like hey is that a pump? I have one too or something. I guess because everyone is different you never know how they are going to react. I think go for it LOL Although I don't know if I would ask. I have passed a lot of people over the years that I have seen wearing a pump but never say anything.

I would have said something too.  You just never know how people will be but for me, it's worth the chance of meeting someone new.  I wouldn't worry about it too much - she might have been having a hard day or something.

I hardly ever meet a T1, so yes I would have said something. Maybe she's newly diagnosed and hasn't had time to adjust yet.

I always say something...you don't run into people who have it very often...the only real way to tell is if you see someone's pump or if you see them testing/injecting. It's like you automatically have something in common with them which is always cool.

Perhaps she was embarassed because she realized her pump (tubing) was showing. Some people just aren't good 'on the spot' people and you may have caught her off guard.

[quote user="Mike"]

Perhaps she was embarassed because she realized her pump (tubing) was showing. Some people just aren't good 'on the spot' people and you may have caught her off guard.

[/quote]

i could see that probably being why.

personally, i probably would've done something similar. i rarely get approached though and have yet to see anyone with a pump in my town..but i'd most likely go "yup" and then leave. but that's cuz i don't like socializing with other t1's or t2's IRL except for a this girl who was my "mentor" when i was diagnosed & a few friends of friends i never see. *shrug*

i wouldn't take it too personally, you probably just caught her off guard or maybe she's still new to it and awkward.

I've gotten responses ranging from high-fives, hugs, or pleasantries, to worried looks, distressed scowls all the way to people looking at me bug-eyed and running away. Chances are it all has to do with their mindset about the disease. My advice- don't worry about it.

I have walked over to people with T1 and asked them when i saw the pump, they never got offended, that lady was prob just not nice, if u see another person walk on over cause i dont think most of us mind, i love meeting new people with D

I would and have said something.  I look at it as an oppotunity to discuss D.  I like to hear how others manage their D.  I love to hear both positive and negatives of their  D.  I look at it as an educational experience and maybe even meet a new friend.  She must have been having a bad a day.

Kim 

I get so ridiculously excited when I see someone else wearing a pump.  I always run over to them and whip my pump out.  I've only ever gotten positive responses, but I'm sure my overzealousness will eventually freak some socially awkward person out! lol.  I wouldn't take it personally.  Some people are just not good at dealing with social situations.  I've actually gotten phone numbers and email addresses from a few people wearing pumps, but I usually end up losing them...oops. hehe :)

Molly

lol when I am in the diabetic supply section of walmart I hope another T-1 parent walks up and talks to me. So far no such luck.

I have a very different opinion than everyone else because I would never approach a complete stranger and ask them if they had diabetes.  And if someone came up to me and asked me I probably would tell them it's none of their business. 

personally, i wouldn't say anything. simply because i understand some people can feel uncomfortable about it. in no way do i think you did anything wrong, sarah. you were simply trying to reach out to another person. i have a tendency to be an awkward person anyway, famous for creating awkward moments. unless someone asks me, or specifically mentions they have diabetes, i don't bring it up with them. there are those out there who are embarrassed/ashamed/or just very private people and choose not to discuss their health with others. it's their choice. while it usually catches me off guard, i am not particularly bothered when someone notices my pump or tubing. it's pretty hard for me to keep my tubing tucked in all the time anyway... i usually have a tail showing every now and then :o)

[quote user="Tracey "]

I have a very different opinion than everyone else because I would never approach a complete stranger and ask them if they had diabetes.  And if someone came up to me and asked me I probably would tell them it's none of their business. 

[/quote]

Tracey, Were you at a Starbucks in DC last week? JK!! (;

Although I guess I understand those people that have said they might not like being aproached, I have to say I would LOVE for someone with t1 to ask my son if he had it too.  Right now he feels kind of all alone with it and it would be great for him to meet other people in daily life with the same thing.   SO guess I am encouraging you to keep trying to make the human connection.