Extremely low blood sugar

Hi everyone!

I’ve had two incidents recently of extremely low blood sugar. I woke up in the morning and checked my blood sugar - it was around 170. I was going out and not hungry yet, so I decided not to eat or take insulin until I got home. 30 minutes later I felt like I was going to pass out, I checked my blood sugar again and it read 28. This is the second time this has happened with no explanation and I would like to prevent it from happening again if possible. Any ideas??

1 Like

Hi @vstillman07. Are you on a pump? Do you take long acting insulin shots? If you were fasting you can still drop low if your basal (short or pump) is too high. I would check more during this time and make any adjustments you might need If you aren’t comfortable marking adjustments then take your notes and talk to your doctor.

1 Like

@vstillman07. Victoria, I am like @joe. There are questions. When you went out, was it for a jog or run? How are you managing you blood sugar overall? Welcome to the group.

Your sharing will help us all learn from your journey.

I’ve found that shopping invariably lowers my blood sugar (at least I found a form of “exercise” I enjoy!), although my CGM alerts and my response have kept me from getting that low. I’m working out how far in advance to start up the “activity” setting on CIQ - it’s a work in progress as I tweak it but it’s getting better.

1 Like

I went out for a long car ride, so really I wasn’t exercising just sitting for awhile. I don’t have an insulin pump, but I do take the same long-acting insulin every day. I also check my blood sugar with finger sticks so it’s hard to see which direction my blood sugar is headed. I felt fine most of the morning so I didn’t think to check it again.

1 Like

@vstillman07 it’s possible your long acting shot may need to be adjusted or split into 2 shots (lantus or other 24 hour formulations).

knowing when you’ve done something different means you have to test more. it doesn’t matter if you are trying a new food, or skipping a breakfast, or whatever… when in uncharted waters, test more.

a low like that can ruin your day. you probably shouldn’t rely on just “feeling it” although I have relied on my feelings for many years. if you continue to get random lows and adjusting your basal shot doesn’t provide good results, there is always a CGM.

if it means anything to you, I don’t like it either. it’s a drag and it’s so much extra on every day and moment that it can be overwhelming. Just when you think you’ve got it down something changes (the weather, your stress levels, a new restaurant) and it’s a bit like starting over. We never heard back from you on your last post. Not checking your blood sugar doesn’t mean you don’t have diabetes. I minimized it, I did the very smallest things I could do to just survive, and did the least possible and it did not serve me well. I hope you are getting all the support you need.

I’ll look into splitting my lantus and will definitely be checking my levels more often.

About my last post, it’s been tough figuring everything out with blood sugar, new insulin doses, highs and lows. But I’m not feeling hopeless and discouraged anymore. I’ve learned how to set smaller goals for myself, and once I was able to accomplish some of those I felt more capable of managing diabetes as a whole.

Everyone’s responses and support was so helpful, it was really the push I needed to start taking care of myself. I’m still looking for some sort of in-person support. I go to school at Temple University and it would be really nice to find some other college students with diabetes.

2 Likes

@vstillman07 well that is really good news. Thanks for the feedback!

Please check out the College Diabetes Network. The topic link is here. And good luck :four_leaf_clover: at Temple!

https://forum.jdrf.org/t/t1d-college-students/57360/2

1 Like

Hi Victoria, you have been getting some very good suggestions from @Joe, so I will limit my response.

A LONG car ride may have helped sink your BG. When I drive for any distance, I need to stop frequently, monitor my BG and eat often. This was so long before I began using a pump and now with a pump, I use a profile with lowest basal settings. My BG drops on extended drives, an hour or more, even when I’m NOT the operator.

The “activity” that helps drive down blood sugar is eye-motion. When driving, especially if you are an attentive driver, your eyes are making thousands, or even millions, of movements every minute - and that is sufficient to push down glucose severely. In the very convenient slot of the dash in my 29 year old roadster where a CD Player could have been placed, you will see a juice-box, a package of PB Crackers and two protein / granola bars.

1 Like

@vstillman07, Victoria, I may have something. I have noticed if I am making an interstate drive of 50 minutes, my blood sugar drops. Most would not think about this right away.

@Dennis, I think you hit this one before me. Eye motion, brain work, shoulder movement for the driver, are all glucose consuming activity. @joe & @wadawabbit, Dennis caught this fish. Something to add to our Roladexes on driving. It happened to me. Wow!

I don’t drive or today ride long distances anymore but eye movement and effect on BG never would have crossed my mind! For my typical trips it’s not an issue and when I do get on the road I graze in the car but this is very good to know. I wonder if intense gamers notice the same thing🤔?

1 Like