Extremely tired all the time

Hi, Hi, Everyone,

I have a question that maybe some of you deal with and can offer some advice. I am always so tired, I don't mean just a little tired in the afternoon. I am talking about being so tired that I literally can't keep my eyes open at all. I am on oxygen at night and anytime that I am asleep because of my 02 levels dropping really really low. Whenever I have a drs. appt. in town I take the shuttle bus and fall asleep on the hour long ride there. I have literally had days when I just sleep all day long and only get up long enough to take meds, check sugars and go back to bed. So if anyone can offer me some advice or anything I would really appreciate it. Everyone have a great day..................

I have days like that. I guess first are your BG in normal range? Were you higher earlier and now are normal? This would put undue stress on your body.

Also has your endo done any tests in other areas? Thyroid, vitamin D? Have you been checked out for any other related autoimmune disorders such as celiac sprue and Addison's? What about the most obvious one, nympholepsy? 

Thyroid was the first thing that came to my mind, too.

what's nympholepsy? that sounds dangerously fun...

Damn spell check, didn't check for correct spelling! I was looking for Narcolepsy, From wikipedia 

Narcolepsy is a chronic sleep disorder, or dyssomnia, characterized by excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) in which a person experiences extreme fatigue and possibly falls asleep at inappropriate times, such as while at work or at school. Narcoleptics usually experience disturbed nocturnal sleep and an abnormal daytime sleep pattern, which is often confused with insomnia. When a narcoleptic falls asleep they generally experience the REM stage of sleep within 10 minutes; whereas most people do not experience REM sleep until after 30 minutes. There is little evidence to suggest that narcoleptics tend to have a shorter life span. 

C, I think that he might of meant the sleeping disorder called Narcolepsy,is when someone falls asleep wherever and whenever the medical defentation is -- Narcolepsy is a chronic neurological disorder caused by the brain's inability to regulate sleep-wake cycles normally. At various times throughout the day, people with narcolepsy experience irresistable bouts of sleep. If the urge becomes overwhelming, individuals will fall asleep for periods lasting from a few seconds to several minutes. In rare cases, some people may remain asleep for an hour or longer. 

But I'm hoping that this isn't what is happening to you, and my 1st thought while I was reading your post was hypothroyidism(over active thryoid), you will be in my prayers and I'm hoping things get better for you quickly.

"If it's true that we are what we eat, then I'm fast, easy and cheap" -- Barbara Johnson 

My first though was also thyroid...  I hope you figure it out:)

Over-active thyroid is Hyper...  under-active is Hypo.  If this is it, it would be a *relatively* simple fix by taking one or more pills a day.  (I take two different thyroid medications, totalling three pills a day.  It has made a big difference in my energy level.)

Also - CJ - I love your quote.  I know I could just Google this, but who is Barbara Johnson?

i figured he meant narcolepsy, but nympholepsy made me giggle.

[quote user="CJ"]

my 1st thought while I was reading your post was hypothroyidism(over active thryoid), you will be in my prayers and I'm hoping things get better for you quickly.

[/quote]

HYPOthyroidism is an UNDERactive thyroid. HYPERthyroidism is an overactive thyroid or graves disease. <-- just to clarify (like hypo for us means low BG and hyper means high BG).

my first thoughts are food/nutrition related (surprise, surprise). it could be related to dehydration, deficiency in vitamins/minerals (especially iron), lack of exercise, or a diet unbalanced in macronutrients (fat, protein, carb). have you altered your diet or tried eating differently recently? it's funny how food works - basically you will function the best when you get just the right amount of exercise and calories, but you will be tired if you get too much or not enough. generally the same idea works with other nutrients - too much or too little throws the energy balance out of whack. food and exercise are 2 of the easiest things to alter.. and don't require any tests.

make sure you are getting at least 130g of carb every day (over 200g is average for an adult). drink plenty of water throughout the day, and if you sweat a lot something like the low-cal gatorade or powerade zero will help replenish electrolytes (milk also does this, but a lot of people don't want milk after they exercise). you can also try eating small, frequent meals throughout the day as opposed to three big meals. eating constantly throughout the day provides your body with constant energy and increases your metabolism. fruits and veggies have a lot of good nutrients in them without providing a lot of calories, if you are worried about consuming too much. if you don't already, i would encourage you to take a multi-vitamin with iron every day. a lot of women are also low in calcium, vit D, and omega-3s. supplementing those is up to you.

I have been feeling the same way as Miss Vampyr for quite a few years now......It is especially difficult for me to get through a movie.....I can fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.....I have shared this with my endo...but she doesn't seem too concerned.....I have seen everyone's comments and I will have to bring these up to her.  Thanks!

thanks kim, i didn't really know anything about barbara johnson until you had asked and i goggled her to and she was an author & critic. but i got her quote from one of the books i'm reading to help me with my bg problems. the name of the book is Pumping Insulin the 4th edition written by John Walsh and Ruth Roberts.

"If it's true that we are what we eat, then I am fast, easy and cheap" --Barbara Johnson

sorry C, I don't know what i was thinking when i said that hypo was over active cause i have hypothryoidism which is under active. LOL

Hi Everyone,

OK, I forgot to mention that I do have thyroid issues I have hypothyroidism and the meds that I take are ok think. I am also as swollen as the sta puff marshmellow lady, at times I look like my hubby took me to town pump and put the air hose in my ear and just filled me up. I just went to the lung dr. yesterday and she told me that I can take double of my lasix for a week and see what happens so thats what I am gonna do. Does anyone else have this type of problem going on? My normal ring size is a 7 1/2 and right now my wedding ring is 11 and still to small for me to wear.

MissV -

I, too, have hypothyroidism.  At first, I was only taking synthroid, but after a few years of that, I was totally tired all the time, and asked the doctor about it.  He lowered my synthroid dose, and also put me on cytomel - a shorter acting pill that I take twice a day.  It has really helped my energy level.  It may be something to bring up to your doctor - they can make adjustments that might help.

Good luck!

I've been dealing with severe fatigue for a long time, but it recently became so bad that I couldn't get out of bed to go to work anymore. After countless doctor's visits and switching to a new endo, it turns out that it's partially related to my adrenal glands not functioning properly. I'm not producing enough cortisol. The test that revealed this was the ACTH stim test, where they inject you with some ACTH and then take blood samples in 3 consecutive intervals.

I have also had days where I slept for 24 hours or more, only getting up to pee and take meds. It took months of tests and doctors saying there was nothing wrong with my lab work to come up with this.

I also read yesterday that researchers suspect that narcolepsy has an autoimmune component.

If you haven't had your adrenal function checked out, you might want to look into this. Other things I was considering getting checked out was for heavy metal toxicity, particularly mercury.

I think the next time I visit the endo I am going to request the test you mentioned infogirl....I feel tired no matter what my blood sugar is and I feel as though I could sleep for 24 hours straight.........I have shared how tired I always am and doctors so far have just ignored it.  It is frustrating for me.  Thanks for the information!

Hey, thanks for the info I will talk to my dr. about trying this new drug.

There are some fantastic videos on YouTube by a professor teaching endocrinology, all about adrenal fatigue. I've been watching them for over an hour tonight. The account name is biomans, and the videos are way down in the list of all his uploads, from 2 years ago. The one lowest on his list starts "If Your Adrenals Weak." I don't think they are in exact order and some of them are related but have misleading titles, like "Knowing What Questions to Ask is Sign" and "When Patient's Tail Stops Wagging." Look for any of the ones talking about "adrenal exhaustion." He explains how cortisol works in the body really well. He even talks about how these patients have likely gotten used to being told they're crazy or hypochondriacs for their symptoms. But the way he explains the symptoms of adrenal dysfunction really described what I've been going through - maybe you'll find the same thing, Angela. :)