Fanny pack?

I've started trying to go up to the local lake trail to run every saturday morning..and when i can sunday as well.

Because of my diabetes, I've always been told to bring sugar with me especially when excerising, obviously. I don't use glucose tabs, never opened the package my mom got when i was diganosed...we threw it out a few years ago when during one of our many house moves, we realized it was expired. haha

i bought a fanny pack from walmart when i first started this last month(when the weather got better and i was no longer horribly sick) because I take a juice box and a fruit source bar with me..as well as have to carry my car keys(i have to drive it's not close enough to my house to walk..it's off the highway), my iPod(cuz i can't do anything without music) and my cellphone(i'm a 21year old running alone in a wooded trail at 8 or 9 am on a weekend morning..with very few people around me..safety first!).

but it's bulky..and it also makes a LOT of noise when i run which annoys me to no end. I don't really mind anymore looking like a dork for having a fancy pack cuz i know i need to bring stuff with me and other people can shove it for all i care...but i hate running and having a quieter part of my music and HEARING it bouncing. I took my earphones out today for a few minutes while i was running..and it was very loud and annoying to me to hear it..

what do you guys do when you go running to carry sugar and stuff with you?? i have a bad back(got rear ended in december and have minor whiplash that i go to physio for once or twice a week since ugh) and this week especially cuz i slept weird and have spent the whole week avoiding excerising as everything made it worse and made me want to cry(which isn't normal..i usually take my back discomfort without advil and pretty well)..so a small backpack isn't really an ideal option for me.

i guess i could just not bring juice on the actual run with me..but i'm a little worried to do that, as it's a 4.84km trail and i normally try to mostly run the first round and power walk a second round to cool down...and when i excerise like that i FEEL low. today i thought i'd get back to the car and be 3 or 4 but i ended up being 7. (i was 5.6 when i tested before leaving, had a juice box on my way up there and had taken my lantus shortly after testing). so the one time i actually need it..i dont wanna be like half way around the lake...

Congrats on starting the exersize program!  Keep up the good work.  I also run.  I don't carry anything with me except my drivers license, medical alert necklace, and my cell phone.  No iPOD.  I love music and in fact am a musician.  But when running I prefer the sound of the road.

I ALWAYS test ahead of time.  If I'm below 200 I eat a banana or 1/2 a power bar or a piece of cake or something.  Then I head out on a pre determined route around my house.  I have  2.7 mile route I run the most.  I'm never further than a mile away from home.  Tell my wife where I'm going and when I'll be back.  It might a little risky to not have juice or whatever, but I've been doing this a long time and it seems to work for me. 

Often if I'm planning on running later in the day I'll take less R and eat more to prime by BS up for the run.  I know they say don't exersize over 250 or whatever, but I do.

Keep up the good work.

Congrats on starting the exersize program!  Keep up the good work.  I also run.  I don't carry anything with me except my drivers license, medical alert necklace, and my cell phone (which I carry in my hand).  No iPOD.  I love music and in fact am a musician.  But when running I prefer the sound of the road.

I ALWAYS test ahead of time.  If I'm below 200 I eat a banana or 1/2 a power bar or a piece of cake or something.  Then I head out on a pre determined route around my house.  I have  2.7 mile route I run the most.  I'm never further than a mile away from home.  Tell my wife where I'm going and when I'll be back.  It might a little risky to not have juice or whatever, but I've been doing this a long time and it seems to work for me. 

Often if I'm planning on running later in the day I'll take less R and eat more to prime by BS up for the run.  I know they say don't exersize over 250 or whatever, but I do.

Keep up the good work.

i test before hand..but especially when im on the low side, i feel i should always have sugar. im alone, i'm a good 15min drive from home and since its a 4.84km run, i can't easily get to my car for sugar if i run low even a quarter of the way =/

i cant really take less insulin..as i dont take novorapid before i run anyways. i only take my morning lantus of 20units, before i leave the house. i usually eat when i get home to be honest.

I run about 15-25 miles a week.  I too wear a fanny pack but i put in a few packs of powerbar gel.  The gel has a high carb count and has worked the few times i have a low blood sugar.  To miminize the jingling noise when running I use a shoe pocket (a device that holds a key and ties to your shoe).  I put my car key in the shoe pocket and lock the rest of my keys in the car.  Haven't found a solution for the cell phone yet.  Good luck...

[quote user="tepperfamily13"]

I run about 15-25 miles a week.  I too wear a fanny pack but i put in a few packs of powerbar gel.  The gel has a high carb count and has worked the few times i have a low blood sugar.  To miminize the jingling noise when running I use a shoe pocket (a device that holds a key and ties to your shoe).  I put my car key in the shoe pocket and lock the rest of my keys in the car.  Haven't found a solution for the cell phone yet.  Good luck...

[/quote]

i'd use a shoe pocket..if my key wasn't heavy and HUGE. it probably wouldn't fit..and even if i put it in the fancy pack that's way more work than just sticking my lancer with my keys on it in my fanny pack. those dont make noise cuz i put them in the smallest pocket anyways..

I have two pairs of shorts with small zip pockets in the back.... perfect for just storing sugar.  I usually just take rockets with me and they fit really well.  

hmm i might try that. I've been meaning to get some new capris to run/excerise in(i hate shorts) and get one of those arm holders for my ipod anyways. i'll have to wait awhile but i'll give that a shot. then i can just put my keys in the pocket and leave the cell in teh car(it's a blackberry so it would be a little heavy in the pocket of workout pants haha).

thanks for the idea :)

Now that you mention that I actually have a pair of capris that has a small pocket too.  It doesnt zip but the rockets never fall out either...

Hope it works for you because that is all I have been able to figure out!

The best, easiest thing to use to get sugar while running are energy gels.  I like GU (brand), you can get them at most sporting good stores, bike shops, REI, etc.  I used a fanny pack for a while to store them, but got annoyed with the weight, so now (I'm a girl) I just tuck them in my sports bra...maybe pockets for guys?!?  Anyhow, I eat one about every 15 mins (and depends of course on what your blood sugar level is before you start and how long you are running)...btw when I know I'm going to run I take less insulin with the meal prior to running (2/3 the normal amount...this will probably vary for different people).

Anyhow, hope that helps...give it a try!

i read that fanny packs are back in style but now they are called something different. im not kidding. seriously. do you believe me?

Could be; I don't doubt you Courtenay!  After all, all fashions eventually come back in style!

Has anyone ever tried using the SpiBelt? (http://www.spibelt.com/)...
They've started to show up at all the Diabetes conferences I've attended and, although I haven't worn one myself, my friends LOVE them! They're similar to a fannypack but made of spandex so that it stretches slightly when you put items in, that way they don't jingle around and stay in there nice and tightly! I'd love to hear if anyone else has tried one out!

Also, I'd suggest (as others have) that once you start getting more comfortable with running and your routine, to try to switch over to a DEX tab, or a GU gel... HUGE difference in the amount of weight you're carrying as you run and most of them taste GREAT (I'm a huge fan of the Dex4 Grape flavour, but have been itching to try the Green Apple, currently not available to me in Canada)...

Hope your running is still going great!

jen

I must admit I always take glucose tablets, the Walgreens ones in a small tube with 10 in them.  If you don't want to where a fanny pack, these are small and light enough to just hold when you are running.  I am training for a triathlon at present, so need these on me at all times as putting in lots of miles, and must say they are great.

I have a suggestion and a question.

My suggestion: try one of those travel packs of tissues or a face-wash cloth tucked in between the things from keeping them from clinking together.

I get really sweaty when I work out, so the face cloth does double duty.

Also, speaking of the incredibly un-ladylike topic of sweating, I have a pump and when I don't wear shorts/pants with pockets I just tuck it against my body and it gets all sweaty.  I know it's probably nothing to be concerned about, but I worry that the sweat will somehow get into the machine and mess it up.  Plus, I find it gross.  Sometimes I just take it out (I have use the longer chord for situations like this) and put it in one of the cup holders on the treadmil if I am at the gym, but I worry about it falling or getting tangled in the other i-pod wires.

Any suggestions?

Try a Spibelt. I just got one a few months ago and it's great. It small but can expand to hold many things, including sugar, glucose tabs, keys, phones, etc. And I use it when i run and it doesn't move. 

www.spibelt.com

Here is what I use when I run:  it clips onto your waistband and doesn't move around.  It's not very big, but it does the job - it is big enough to fit a pump, and if you wear two, you'd have room in the other one for stuff to treat lows.  http://www.amphipod.com/080/080.html

A word of caution:  although pumps are usually water-proof or water-tight, the combination of temperature and moisture from being next to your skin can cause a pump to malfunction.  Unfortunatley, I know this from personal experience.  On my wedding day, I had my pump tucked into the waist of my Spanx, and guess what happened on the car ride between the church and reception?  My pump died.

awesome Kim thanks! good thing I looked at this forum again to see if anyone had replied since i posted this! i'm trying to get back into the groove of going out for jogs again and was wondering what i was going to do to solve my fannypack problem!

This is awesome! I am also a teen with diabeties and have NEVER met another teen with diabetes. So i would really love to talk to you and see how your doing with it and how you handle it!