Fascinating article on a nearly no carb diet that can stop seizures

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/magazine/21Epilepsy-t.html?src=me&ref=general

It reduces or eliminates seizures in epileptic children. Some kids are even cured.

It was an old method that was forgotten in the 1920's. 

It makes me wonder if there might be a cure for diabetes one day that is just as surprising. 

Is it the ketogenic diet? Its such a dangerous diet it in its self. Its best to be under a doctors care while doing. I have issues with it on many levels more so now that Riley is diabetic and we try and prevent ketones in her. I cant see how something so dangerous and unhealthy is a train off for seizures. I know seizures suck and have their own risks too. We have researched this for my boys before and i have read of lots of people doing it. We tried lower carb for a while but with my boys being autistic too a change like that to their diets is way more than they cane handle or understand. Still I cant see the dangers of the diet being a trade off to not having seizures. Now I am going to go read this article.

Pretty good article glad they put this in and a lot of other details.

"We were desperate, and frankly, despite advances, the ketogenic diet is still only for the desperate."

My boys both have the same kind of seizures and one also has drop and grand mals. Its hard to deal with but man I really cant see them eating that way.

Look through it carefully. It requires Dr. supervision and then extremely precise measurements to even work. DId you notice that he said when he makes scrambled eggs he has to scrape all the egg from the mixing bowl with a spatula? WIthout that precision it doesn't work.

The diet is only used a few years in most cases. The Atkins diet did the same thing but wasn't as extreme. Ketosis and ketoacidosis are not the same thing. The ketosis is what stops the seizures though they don't know why. 

The ketogenic diet is NEVER prescribed unless under a doctor/dietitian's supervision, and it has to be a dietitian specialized in metabolic-something-or-other. it's typically anywhere from 80-98% carbs depending on the person's condition, and it's ONLY TEMPORARY. typically, children outgrow seizure disorders, so they are only on the ketogenic diet for a few years. also, it can stunt growth and development in children if followed for too long, so that's another huge reason why it's only temporary. it hasn't been totally forgotten because it is still in use. i've only ever seen 1 person on it, and that may be all i ever see in my career. here in iowa, iowa city is the only place a person can go to be followed on the ketogenic diet. other states may have more than 1 facility equipped for that diet. 

[quote user="Terry"]

Look through it carefully. It requires Dr. supervision and then extremely precise measurements to even work. DId you notice that he said when he makes scrambled eggs he has to scrape all the egg from the mixing bowl with a spatula? WIthout that precision it doesn't work.

The diet is only used a few years in most cases. The Atkins diet did the same thing but wasn't as extreme. Ketosis and ketoacidosis are not the same thing. The ketosis is what stops the seizures though they don't know why. 

[/quote]

I know this but sadly a lot of people try to figure it out on their own and why I said its best to do it under a doctors care. Mostly my hubby has been researching this for years and babbles at me about it . I rejected it 5 or so years ago when he brought it up to me because i felt it wasnt safe doctors care or not. I also know good and well there is NO way I could get my boys to eat that way.

If the diet is to extreme it can cause ketoacidosis tho that isnt what I was saying. Just in general we try to prevent ketones in Ri so it in general give me a hang up in trying to get them to spill ketones weather or not its the same thing.  It makes my heart race to hear there are ketones there period.

I am a pediatric home care nurse.  I have a patient who is on the Ketogenic diet. The ONLY reason why we can keep her on the diet is because she is fed through a feeding tube. I don't know how any child can eat by mouth and be on this diet.  I will say that the diet has worked some miracles for my patient. She had nearly continuous myoclonic seizures and now she rarely has one.  We have also been able to stop one of her 3 seizure meds.

I feel bipolar at times...at home I never want to see any ketones with my daughter and at work I always want to see large ketones with my patient.