Feeling frustrated

I'm feeling very frustrated with my diabetic nurse. I was put on the pump 2 years ago the nurse never had any contact with me. About six months ago she finally got in touch with me. Now she wants to do all these changes that I'm not really sure of. She asked me to do some night basal rate which is fine but I told I could only do them on the weekend seeing as I work. I did four of them but not the right way according to her. Then she told me that when I have done the test to give her a call. Maybe its me but I feel like she has given up. I wish that these nurses would just stop and think what they say or how they say it. When she said that to me, I just felt like giving up. I'm to the point where I just want to change the basal rates myself. What I was thinking is that she didn't care for year and half now its really important that I do what she says its really annoying. I'm trying to get my numbers where they need to be so I can get pregnant but not getting anywhere.

Please help me.

Meghan

Get the book "Pumping insulin" and adjust yourself. I had great training from my pump nurse and the goal was to get me to do the adjustments myself. It's not rocket science, just basic math. I couldn't imagine always having to call someone to adjust my dosing.

How has your control been? I would question why she left you to your own devices for a year and a half and now wants to "take care of you".

Before I went on the pump my blood sugars where between 4-8. Then I went on the pump my sugar are between 3 - 15. I just got the book Pumping Insulin. I think I will make my own adjustment as I have been reading the book it is just basic math.

I'm not sure why she left me for so long but its not working for me. My goal is to get my blood sugar in target.

Thanks for your advice.

Medical professionals like that are so frustrating.  They act like they are helping you but won't acknowledge that you are more of an expert than they are on your personal diabetes.  And you have to endure the consequences of the bad recommendations they make.  

This is terrible, but I've sometimes wished those people would develop diabetes themselves so they could realize how complicated blood sugar management is.  They would dramatically alter how they deal with patients and the advice they give.  (My favorite are the diabetes educators who wore a pump for a weekend so they "totally understand" what it's like to have diabetes.  Give me a break!)

The general formulas for adjusting insulin or setting up a pump are a good starting point, but then they have to be adjusted to fit the individual.  Listen to her suggestions and be willing to try any that may be useful.  Only make one pump setting change at a time, not a bunch all at once, so you can track what's working or not.  

But trust your own instincts and your own knowledge of and experience with your diabetes.  It sounds like what you were doing before was working, so you should go back to it.  It you're having patterns of highs or lows, address them.  But otherwise trust what gets you the best results and what works for you in real life.