Finally a Small World

Today my daughter served a type 1 at work(waitress). Well this man was over 80 years old and here's the small world part. He was 50 when he got dx'ed and has no problems. He told my daughter that I was the first one he heard about that got dx'ed at about the same age as him. He also told her that trying to explain why a 50 year old man has juvenile diabetes wasn't always easy. LOL

Keith, I have read about two type 1s who were diagnosed in their 80s. It can happen at any age.

The following paragraph appears in the article linked below:

"Type 1 diabetes mellitus can occur at any age and is characterized by the marked and progressive inability of the pancreas to secrete insulin because of autoimmune destruction of the beta cells. It commonly occurs in children, with a fairly abrupt onset; however, newer antibody tests have allowed for the identification of more people with a slower onset adult form of type 1 diabetes mellitus called latent autoimmune diabetes of the adult (LADA).2 The distinguishing characteristic of a patient with type 1 diabetes is that, if his or her insulin is withdrawn, ketosis and eventually ketoacidosis develop. Therefore, these patients are dependent on exogenous insulin."

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/766036-overview

This is why I think that calling Type 1 Diabetes "Juvenile Diabetes" is misleading.  I wasn't diagnosed as a child either (although not quite as an adult yet), but at 17 yrs. old. and I have always struggled with the support until now with Juvenation b/c everything for Type 1 Diabetes were for children only.  It was so frustrating.  Now research has shown that Type 1 can develop in anyone regardless of age as it has been linked more to trauma or illness as the cause and not genetics. 

I know I am not alone on this, but getting dx'ed later in life does put you with a pretty small group. Some where I read that some hospital said their oldest type 1 dx. was 85. Can you believe it!!!