Finger pokes and injections.. in public

I am 100% comfortable with testing and injecting Ri in public. I wouldnt ask her to hold her breathe in public and she needs to test  and have insulin in public as much as she needs to breathe! She is fine doing it around people who know she is T-1 at school and she doesnt care in the general public but has issues with it around people at school who dont know sometimes.

[quote user="Run D-Link"]

whenever I was "out" I would give injections in my arms only.

[/quote]

Do you live in Florida, lol? In the winter with 2 long-sleeve layers, I always wish I could use my arms, but feel uncomfortable taking off a sweater at a restaurant table.

I'm not on the pump, and I have to check my sugar and take shots everyday. When it comes to doing it in public I could care less, I don't get embarrassed about it or feel awkward at all. However, a few of my friends have told me that it feels awkward for them when I do do it. The worst things are the stares, and I was once told by a mall security guard that if I "did that (took insulin) again" publicly then I would be asked to leave the mall.

"are we really expected to go to the bathroom"

That is exactly how I feel about it! I mean you wouldn't go to the doctor and expect them to give you medical treatment in the bathroom.
At my current job my supervisors and the general manager himself came to have a talk with me about taking my insulin, they said that I HAVE to go in the bathroom, I told him just told him no, and I don't care if you fire me... there hasn't been any problems since then.

[quote user="Wesley"]At my current job my supervisors and the general manager himself came to have a talk with me about taking my insulin, they said that I HAVE to go in the bathroom, I told him just told him no, and I don't care if you fire me... there hasn't been any problems since then.[/quote]

They really can't fire you after that because it would be obvious discrimination against you because you are diabetic.  We are covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act.  I don't know much about the law, but I'm pretty sure you could take them to court for firing you, if you could prove it was diabetes related.

Yes of course, I was just pointing out how there are lot of employers that have diabetic employees, but don't know how to accommodate for them due to their lack of knowledge about diabetes. I think that if you are going to employ someone who has diabetes then you should have someone in your company that understands and knows how to accommodate for that person with diabetes.

Well, I think that a lot of employers don't necessarily know that someone they are hiring is diabetic.  I tend to keep that fact to myself during interviews.  Though discrimination is illegal, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  At my last job, only my direct supervisor and close coworker knew, and I told them a while after I had been hired.  I don't think we can expect all employers to be fully knowledgeable about diabetes.  We just have to expect them to be accommodating, as they would be with anyone with a chronic disease or a disability.

I keep my diabetes secret until after I have signed the all the papers for employment; I don't know about you but whenever I did tell someone about it in the interview I never got the job. But, after I get hired I make sure everyone knows, just because I hate getting offered sweets all time. lol.

I'm all about taking shots in public! never had a problem. The only time I ever had to watch it was when I was living in a large house off campus. One of my house mates is a recovering drug addict and would freak if he saw a syringe. So out of respect for him I didn't take shots when he was around. Any one else if they had a problem with it I'd just tell them to go away or not look, lol, heartless I know!

I do shots and testing wherever I am at, bathrooms are for going to the you know. If you don't like don't look!!!

Before we put our 2.5 year old on a pump, we would inject her at the dinner table in public. We didn't care what other people thought. We would get lots of stares and comments. I didn't feel that we should have to hide our daughters condition.

I'm currently on the pump, but did shots for many years.  Since I started when I was so little, it didn't bother me to do shots in public, at all.   Once I was even at Fazoli's and an old guy saw me injecting myself and smiled at me and said something like "Keep up the good work!"  :)  If people are "offended" by it, I could honestly care less, haha.  I've even changed over (switched my infusion sets) at restaurants and on a plane.   You gotta do what you gotta do! 

:)

My son is not shy at all although he is a little discreet LOL  - he says if they don't want to look they dont have to - but he HAS to do the shots.  He is MDI by choice.

It used to bother me, but I don't really care anymore. One time I was in the car and had to take a shot so I could go out and eat. I was newly diagnosed and very anti-tummy at the time. I only liked shots in my arms, upper butt, and hips. Anyway, I was wearing a sweater and couldn't get the sleeves rolled up enough so I really quickly pulled half the sweater off for a shot when this group of girls walked by and started laughing and pointing!!!! LOL They probably thought I was in the car making out with someone or something. But it was completely innocent and I was just taking a shot. LOL Another time I went to the bathroom at my church to take a shot and the womens bathroom was busy so I went to the mens. Of course right as I walked out some teenagers walked by and gave me the craziest look. Probably wondering why a 19 yr old girl was coming out the mens bathroom at church. LOL I used to be so embarressed of my shots and finger pricks, but my husband and I actually started to make a joke out of it. It's so funny some of the comments I get and the crazy looks. I am also very small, only 90 lbs so I used to get so embarressed when people saw me taking my shots. I know everyone probably thought I was taking drugs or something. LOL Anyways, I know longer hide the fact that I am a diabetic. I've accepted it. You gotta do what you gotta do to stay healthy. I could care less what other people think.

My youngest was diagnosed last year. When he was diagnosed, it was amazing how many people approached us trying to relate to us by saying things like, “Yes…I have Type 2 Diabetes,” or “yes, I have a family member with Type 2. I get it.” But they really don’t get it. And it’s absolutely amazing how many people don’t. It’s like you physically have to view what a Type 1 goes through daily to get it. So, DO those injections in public. Let people see…let it be an eye opener. Hey, if people saw, maybe they’d be more inclined to give (financially, voluntarily) toward that cure :slight_smile:

I am on a pump now, but I never had an issue with drawing up insulin and injecting at a table, a drivethru, where ever. I was diagnosed at age 13 and my doctors and parents never allowed me to think my diabetes was something to be ashamed of or embarrassed by. Sometimes I have to take all my pump supplies out and change a pump site in public, which sometimes makes people stare, but I don’t care. If someone is “brave enough” to ask me questions about what I’m doing, I am more than happy to answer them, so long as they are being courteous about it. After having T1 for 21 years, I’ve managed to get pretty good at stealthily doing my finger pokes.

Like most things, breast feeding, insulin injections, what have you, if people don’t like it, no one is forcing them to watch.