Flying with new TSA regulations

http://www.610wiod.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=122821&article=7849918

Discuss.

Hmmm....maybe the security guard was having a bad day or was new? Not that its an excuse.  I recently flew from Detroit to Cancun and back again. I never mentioned my pump (which I wore) or supplies, ie. insuin, syringes, etc., in my carry on.  No issues at all.  They never noticed.

When did you fly?  New procedures went into effect October 28.

[quote user="spaghettio"]

Hmmm....maybe the security guard was having a bad day or was new? Not that its an excuse.  I recently flew from Detroit to Cancun and back again. I never mentioned my pump (which I wore) or supplies, ie. insuin, syringes, etc., in my carry on.  No issues at all.  They never noticed.

[/quote]

Nov 8. Returned Nov 12.  I never said a word.

I think it's BS, but I also would have filed a formal complaint...

I even set off store alarms with my sensor, and usually when I tell them I have an insulin pump they are embarrassed they even said anything.  TSA has usually been the same way, although after switching from animas to minimed I don't seem to set anything off anymore.

What are the new regulations?  Just the body scanners? Or is there more?

I've seen many of the pat downs they are doing in lieu of the scanners, and I don't agree those are okay at all.  If somebody touched me like that I'd reach for the pepper spray.

I flew from Seattle to John Wayne airport on Halloween night.  I didn't notice any difference in anything.  I usually keep my diabetes stuff in my carry on and say nothing. It's never been an issue.  I don't have a pump so I don't have to worry about that.  I always carry the insulin boxes.  I think if there was a problem this would probably straighten it out.  I also have a letter from my doctor.  I'd think if you have a detachable pump, you could unattach and put in your carry on before you go through?

Really, mum is the word.  Say nothing and they'll never know anything.

I haven't flown since the Oct. 28th new rules, but learned in the past it's better to not mention insulin pump or any other supplies.  If you bring it to the TSA staff's attention they make a big deal of it.  Don't seem to notice it otherwise. 

Security, and especially the new regulations, are a joke.  The countries that have the best airline security are Israel and Great Britian and they don't do any of this junk... they profile passengers and do extra security checks on anyone who's in a high risk group. 

The last time I flew a nun and I both had to get a pat down while my 2-year-old son was completely unattended.  Give me a break. 

I agree that those new pat-downs are crazy! Yikes!!!!

I don't have a pump, but I've started telling the TSA about my dexcom sensor before going through because: 1) those creepy whole-body naked scan things pick up non-metal items like it, and 2) TSA is less familiar with those (vs. pumps) b/c they're newer. I don't have a note from my endo, but I bring the dexcom instruction book w/ the pictures of the device in case. I've never had a problem, and I live in DC where security is extra high, but that was before the new regulations.

I agree that I never mention insulin supplies in my carry-on b/c they seem to know what they are.

maybe i'm the only person... but i have no problems with body scans or pat downs. i've been through pat downs plenty of times and don't find them offensive. they tell you "i'm touching you here with XX part of my hand." my animas rep told me not to have the pump go through the xray thing because it will screw with the screen, so i let them know and they use a wandy-deal to check it over. again, it's never been a problem. 

if more pat downs and body scans means a safer flight for me, i'm fully prepared to go through with it. i like to travel and enjoy my safety, so i'll do whatever i have to. 

I'm flying back to Baltimore from LAX tomorrow. Should be interesting. Never had an issue with my pump. Have to take the metal clip off of it so I haven't set off the metal detector, but the guy/girl will always look at it and be like "is that one of those..uh.." and I fill in "insulin pumps?" "Yes."

I'm more interested in if everyone has to go through the x-ray scatter machine. Thinking of fun things to say like... "Don't judge, it's cold in here..." "Can anybody fluff me?" "If these go on your Facebook, please tag me."

Or if I get patted down, I'll just say something to make the guy as uncomfortable as he's making me..."As long as we cuddle afterward."

Please note though that everything they're doing this in response to (i.e "Underwear Bomber") boarded outside of the US.

[quote user="C"]

i've been through pat downs plenty of times and don't find them offensive. they tell you "i'm touching you here with XX part of my hand." 

[/quote]

I've had those searches too, and those aren't the ones I have a problem with, or that's being addressed here.  The new search rules, which just went into place in October, allow much more invasive searches.  I'm honestly panicking about the flying I'm doing next month - moreso than usual.

The first time i flew after getting my pump, i made sure i had the "note" from the dr, thinking that would be sufficient.  It has never worked for me.  I've previously checked TSA's website, trying to determine the proper way to get through security.  I have had a few screeners "demand" that I disengage my pump.  I've had my sensor taken, "swiped" with their pads, and even though I told them it cannot function beyond a certain radius, they continue to walk away with it.  I always get pulled aside. I've just given up trying to say anything before i pass through the scanner.

It is difficult for my wife when we fly together.  She has see me treated as if I were a criminal just because of my medical condition.  We have a trip planned for spring break, so it will be interesting to see the new protocols.

[quote user="Rich"]

The first time i flew after getting my pump, i made sure i had the "note" from the dr, thinking that would be sufficient.  It has never worked for me.

[/quote]

I'm not sure who your TSA agents are. I used to disconnect my pump and toss it in the bin through the x-ray machine, but then a TSA guy (nice one btw) at Logan Airport told me that I don't have to disconnect my pump when I go through security. Even after these "new" procedures were implemented, I haven't been questioned other than people confirming what it is.

[quote user="C"]

maybe i'm the only person... but i have no problems with body scans or pat downs. i've been through pat downs plenty of times and don't find them offensive. they tell you "i'm touching you here with XX part of my hand." my animas rep told me not to have the pump go through the xray thing because it will screw with the screen, so i let them know and they use a wandy-deal to check it over. again, it's never been a problem. 

if more pat downs and body scans means a safer flight for me, i'm fully prepared to go through with it. i like to travel and enjoy my safety, so i'll do whatever i have to. 

[/quote]

Maybe you are.  I was just a wee unnerved with "I'm going to use the back of my hand," but now with front of the hand between the legs and all around the breasts, I'm not so comfortable.  Neither are friends of mine headed to DisneyWorld next week with their 14 and 11 year old daughters.  At least they've called a halt to screen under age 12  (as of a couple of days ago).  When as parents we (of my generation and down) have taught our kids that no one touches them in private areas unless it's the doctor, it's unnerving to go back on that and include any TSA employee.

I'm not convinced that what they are doing DOES mean a safer flight, but that's a conversation for another place and time.

Someone shared this link on Twitter earlier today.  It's a pretty powerful point.

http://elusis.livejournal.com/2141915.html

[quote user="Angie13"]

[quote user="C"]

[/quote]

I'm not convinced that what they are doing DOES mean a safer flight, but that's a conversation for another place and time.

[/quote]

It's just a dog and pony show. If someone wants to get something past security, they will. Simple etc.

Quoting something from "Chit Chat" #1 because it's relevant, #2 because it's funny and I think some people need to lighten up. It is what it is, no amount of people complaining of how they don't want their peeners or girly bits touched is going to change the gov't for something they believe is for "the greater good." "Hot Fuzz" anyone?

Anyway, hope no one gets too offended :)

[quote user="Pat"]

[quote user="Kim"]

... so you're okay with getting totally groped in front of people at the airport?  I'd have to agree that the new search regulations are ridiculous.

[/quote]

while what you're saying makes sense and is beyond the social norm and what social perceptions are, the majority of people who are "in favor" of this are people who coincidentally enough, do not, or have never flown. I can see how it's more than some people are comfy with but this is what we get when people over react. I don't see the point of the "thorough" pat downs. If I get asked one more time if I'm trying to smuggle a kielbasa in my pants then I'm going to be upset. (*laughter*)

Otherwise, the pat down is the other option if one objects to being in the scatter x-ray thinger ma bob. Personally, I don't care if people see me naked. I care more so about being groped by someone who isn't my a) girlfriend (if I had one) b) doctor c) priest.

The TSA reaction is simple - don't wanna play by "our" rules, don't fly. Makes sense as long as the whole punish everyone for the actions of few. One could always take a train...or walk. Walking is probably better...especially for the fat person who sits next to me on my flights :)

[/quote]

Maybe I'm just way too easy going. I really just don't care. It doesn't bother me at all. Sure my face will turn red, but that's really not hard to do.

Pat is currently flying from LA to Baltimore and asked me to share this message with everyone on Juvenation:

Pat Fink
so for all you who are worried about airport shit, if you do not set the alarm off to begin with, your boobs, dicks, or Vajayjays will not be groped by a high school drop out.

whoopsy. well i guess there's a link to his facebook page too if you want it. heh heh.