For the environmentally conscious diabetic

Doesn't it concern anyone how much plastic we have to use as diabetics? I try to recycle as much as I can and use as little energy as possible, but does it bother anyone else when you're changing your site or putting a new needle on your pen to see yourself surrounded by so much plasitc? Is it even safe to recycle some of that stuff?

Don't get me wrong I am by no means some neo-hippie hell bent on saving the universe by not showering or flushing the toilet. But sometimes it's upsetting to see that not only does diabetes place a burden on myself, but on the environment as well.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, thats true, i never really thought about all of the diabetes supply waste from an environmental perspective, its true, its a lot of plastic!! But in general there is still a lot of room for improvement if we want to improve the environment. I go to my SAT class, and omgoshh, they waste SOOO MUCH PAPER!

It bothers me too, J.  I'm not sure what the answer is - but I'm ready to hear it when someone figures it out.  :)

No it doesnt bother me. I dont feel guilty for making my kids drink 8 glasses of water a day. It keeps us/them/you alive. To me its not a waste abusive or a burden on the environment. Now if you changed your site every day just to change it then yeah that would be a burden a waste and abusive to the environment.

I think about this from time to time as well.  Especially when I change an infusion site and see how much trash is generated from it.  But what can you do?  We need this stuff to stay alive and in tight control.  And I don't really care to have companies waste research time and money trying to find "greener" ways to live with diabetes.  I'd rather they focus on technologies that will help with better control.  So I just try to put the thought out of my head and waste less in all the other areas of my life.

I'm more concerned about plastic water bottles - why bottle the most abundant thing on Earth when you can just drink it out of your faucet?  At least we diabetics are using plastic for a good reason.  There will always be consumption; when one's goal is to eliminate excess consumption whenever possible, start with things that actually aren't conducive to our survival.

I've thought of this too, but I also figured there are other places to try to use less waste, but this isn't one of them. Of course, a cure could solve this problem! (; Until then, does perpetually forgetting to change my lancet help reduce waste?

[quote user="Sarah"]

I've thought of this too, but I also figured there are other places to try to use less waste, but this isn't one of them. Of course, a cure could solve this problem! (; Until then, does perpetually forgetting to change my lancet help reduce waste?

[/quote]

Yes, yes it does.  :)  I definitely do the "reuse" part of conservation as well...

It bothers me, too, and obviously there's not much we can do regarding our use of, say, necessary sets, syringes, etc. that would not also harm ourselves.  Still, the way everything is packaged could be modified so that less plastic is used, like what happened with plastic water bottles.  Also, some infusion set brands, such as Quickset, require a reusable insertion device, whereas the Inset sets come packaged with a disposable insertion device made for one use only.  Though changes in product design are less noticeable to the consumer, when multiplied by all the users and the quantities of products being consumed, a LOT of plastic could be saved. 

I would never encourage putting the environments well being above your own, if that's how it seemed in my original post. I just meant that the packaging used for pumping, etc., seems a bit excessive as I believe Katie was saying. And of course the best solution for this dilemma would be a cure for diabetes =).