Forgetting and Zoning

Since I have been dxd with type 1 in Feb 2010 I have noticed and people around me have noticed in the last 4 months I have been slightly forgetful and I feel myself zoning out sometimes not able to focus as well. Reason I ask is this is not me. I am 44 years young and do not know if I am just getting old or what. I have my regular Dr's appointment in 2 weeks. I have tight control over BG's so they are not highs or lows. Curious if anyone else experiences this.

i stare at the ceiling quite a bit more than the average person. i don't think that has to do with my diabetes as much as my ability to be incredibly distracted. i stare off into space a lot and get lost in my own world. this is also fairly normal for me, though.... :o)

ooo shiny!

I was dxd 19 years ago.  Similar to you, I have good control and short term memory is occasionally an issue.  My endo says it is a side effect of low bgs.  Now I get that you are under tight control, but for me tight control means 3-5 low bgs per week.  they do add up over time.   I would say it is more D related than age related.   Now, what was I just getting ready to do........

-Jason

Hahaha. Lol. Good one. Thanks for the input.

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. When in school and college I daydreamed too much during class and had a very hard time concentrating. i made good grades, but they would have been better if i did not have that problem. My ability to concentrate has become worse as I have aged. I am 71 now and believe that I have ADS.  Is it my age, or is it all the hypos and seizures I had, especially during my earlier years??? Even though I had many seizures as a child, I managed to do well in college, become a college professor, marry and raise two sons, and even write a book about the first 64 years of my diabetes. Maybe my lack of concentration and forgetfulness has not been so much of a handicap after all. It requires some adjustment though. That has been the difficult part for me.

If I could forget the things I don't want to remember, and remember the things I don't want to forget, it would not be so bad. Lol!

[quote user="C"]

i stare at the ceiling quite a bit more than the average person. i don't think that has to do with my diabetes as much as my ability to be incredibly distracted. i stare off into space a lot and get lost in my own world. this is also fairly normal for me, though.... :o)

ooo shiny!

[/quote]

hahahaha.

i'm a goldfish. seriously. i will usually forget whatever is being said the second the person finishes talking. i have never noticed a connection with diabetes though..but i donno how you'd figure that out.

wow, i'm not the only one! i zone out sometimes, and my friends always wonder why i'm not always 'there'. i mean, i can stare at something for like 10 minutes and daydream, then when i come 'back to earth' i always find it so weird. i wonder why...

I was diagnosed in August of 09 and I have definitely noticed that I forget things quite a lot now.  My husband will talk to me about something that happened a few months ago and I find myself having a hard time remembering.  I really think it must be related to my diabetes somehow because I wasn't this forgetful before diagnosis.