Freestyle Libre - Allergic Reaction

I have been using the Freestyle Libre sensor system for over 2 years, changing sites every 2 weeks etc… However, a few months ago my skin started to show allergic reactions (i.e. rashes and blistering) - probably I developed a contact allergy to the adhesive tape: https://jdrf.org.uk/news/mhras-advice-to-freestyle-libre-users-experiencing-skin-reactions/. Has anyone experienced similar reactions? Are there any ways to prevent or alleviate these reactions (e.g. I tried to put Tegaderm below it but I would still get the same issues)?
Thanks.

Spray Flonase on your skin before putting the sensor on. This should alleviate any skin reactions to the adhesive.

2 Likes

I’ve found that Benadryl helps with allergic reactions, including those affecting the skin. Check with your doctor re effects on blood sugar - I haven’t used it in a very long time and can’t recall.

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try these and see if they work

Im my experience, Benadryl doesn’t or hasn’t effected my bg at all. Curious to hear what others experience has been!

I had some weird blood glucose swings while taking benadryl and claritin. Nothing terrible. I probably could have adjusted my insulin doses to accommodate, but I didn’t really believe my symptoms at the time really were allergies anyway, so I decided it was easier to just stop taking the allergy medications.

I’ve been using the Libre a couple of years also, never had a problem after taking one off and having a skin irritation, just a little redness. The past couple of months though I do get a lot of irritated redness type rash. It’s a perfect crop circle for everyone to see at the gym. I use A&D ointment and neosporin for a few days until it clears up. It’s always healed for the next sensor 14 days later. I’m wondering if my dryer skin this winter has something to do with it

I have recently had the exact same thing happen to me. The rash is really itchy and lasts long after I remove the sensor. I have stopped using the Libre because of it. However, I have to say I am actually enjoying not having it on. I didn’t realize how much I was checking it, how many times a day I was having to be cautious about not putting pressure on the sensor because of where it is, cautions about not ripping it off when I change (esp sports bra). It feels better not having it! I do have to finger stick more, but at this point, I really prefer that!

Jess