Gas!

I am the parent of a 13 yr old diagnosed on 8/2 wth T1.  He has been on insulin since the morning of 8/3 and in the last 72 hours has really bad gas.  I was wondering if there is any correlation to the insulin?

I don't think that insulin causes gas. Is he eating differently now? MOre veggies?

I've never heard of a gas correlation with insulin, although a subsequent Google search turned up this:

http://www.medkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/diabetes-forum/25879/Does-insulin-cause-flatulence

Alternatively, has he eaten anything that may have triggered the sudden onslaught?  Fibrous foods are the most infamous of offenders.  Some medications can cause it, too.

A potential, more serious cause, which is an autoimmune condition like type 1 diabetes, is celiac disease, where the body is unable to process the gluten in wheat.  You can read more about its symptoms here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/DS00319/DSECTION=symptoms

My nephew have T1 and celiac disease! they can go hand in hand, which is not fun.

i have both t1 and celiac. neither are fun, but both are manageable. :o)

My daughter is Type 1 and also Celiac....Her gas is terrible...You might check into it :)

im not able to be any help since i was just recently dx'ed..but i hear ya on the gas lol.  i have never had such bad gas as i do since this last couple of weeks.  i also have not had to "use the bathroom" like usual and i am seriously hoping its due only to the increased fibers and foods im eating now.  before i was dx'ed i barely ate at all...it was healthy when i did eat..but i really just munched instead of sitting down and eating 3 meals a day and 3 snacks a day.  i know i stayed a way from veggies and such because i have trouble digesting them, but have had no problems since i have been on insulin...except the horrid smell that follows me through the house now lol.

i would say check with his doc..thats what i will be doing if my endo says its not related to the diabetes and  once i can get a general practitioner..

Haha...this is what I'll tell my girlfriend. "It's the insulin, baby, I swear!"

[quote user="Pat"]

[/quote]

Of course Pat comes back to make a comment about gas. (; (;

The dr. can do simple bloodwork for celiac screening. But, if it's a passing thing, maybe diabetes-realted stress? of just one of those things?

[quote user="Sarah"]

[quote user="Pat"]

[/quote]

Of course Pat comes back to make a comment about gas. (; (;

[/quote]

My.  Thoughts.  Exactly.

I've been busy at work. Working to find another job and stuff...as I write that my director walks by haha