General allergies and Type 1

Hi everyone, I’ll be getting married in a few months and my fiance has a cat. I’m allergic to cats and I’m trying to troubleshoot how to coexist with his pet. Does anyone else have experience with this? What type of allergy medications would you suggest? Do allergies impact blood sugar? Does allergy medicine? What are people’s experience with allergy shots? Anyone else live with an allergen nearby? Thanks!

hi @hannahbecca hey congratulations on your upcoming wedding I hope everything is perfect!

too bad about the cat though, I am allergic to cats as well as grass, tree pollen, dust and a couple other things.

most “allergy” medication have zero diabetes impact for me… Montelukast sodium, allegra (Fexofenadine) and Zyrtec (Cetirizine) antihistamines have no impact on sugar… benedryl knocks me out,but doesn’t affect bs otherwise.

I also use inhaled nasal steroids, Rhinocort and Flonase, with no affect on blood sugar but the stronger steroids will absolutely cause insulin resistance and I have to be ready. Asthma inhaled steroids cause me to have to increase basal insulin.

Shots that introduce allergens in a controlled way to held build immunity will not generally affect blood sugar. the thought of nearly continuous shots for a cat allergy is not appealing to most people. Just a thought. Shots suppressing the immune reaction can affect bs but these area also generally steroids.

good luck!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I have kitties in my house and thank goodness I don’t have any allergies to them, I’m sorry that you do and I sure hope you can find something that works for you. I was told early on in my diabetes, which I have had for 28 years, to be cautious taking antihistamines. I found that they cause an insulin sensitivity and can dramatically dropped my blood sugars. I took a couple of them one time after a flu shot reaction that gave me itching and bumps all over, I actually went through a whole bottle of glucose tablets trying to keep my blood sugars up.It may not affect you at all, but I just wanted to let you know how they affect me. I wish you the very best!

1 Like

Congratulations on your up coming wedding! I hope it is very special and everything you have dreamed of. My answer is a bit different but may contribute. I have a friend that is VERY allergic to cats and I have 3 cats but she never has a problem at my home. I feed my cats something called the Missing Link. It is a dry supplement that I sprinkle on their food. Many people that are allergic are reacting to the dander not the cat itself. The Missing Link changes the cats body. You might give it a try to see if it will work for you. It can be purchased at most pet stores and on Amazon

Loratidine is cheaper, non-drowsy, and does not affect blood sugars. I use it for all my allergies, to cats, dogs, grass and tree pollen!

Hi there. I was diagnosed with diabetes in 1963, and have had allergies all my life - most were seasonal although for a while I was allergic to fur. It didn’t stop me from loving up our cats and dogs - I took OTC medicine and it seemed to do the trick for the most part. to help with the sneezing and watery eyes.
I had the opportunity for allergy shots as a child and had no trouble with needles, but just didn’t want to go to the doctor for them; and since they weren’t serious nobody pressed me,
Having said all that, last summer (2018) my allergies changed from sneezing to very bad coughing, I was treated for possible bronchitis and when the antibiotics did nothing was told I should see an allergist. It turns out I had developed cough variant asthma, apparently from having allergies for so long. Who knew??? I don’t need an emergency inhaler or anything, thank goodness, but was told it could progress to that point without treatment, so I started allergy shots last year. Have been getting them once a week and was just told my asthma has improved to the point that I can now go every two weeks instead. As my resistance to my triggers builds up, my asthma should continue to improve. So I would say definitely see an allergist about shots. I haven’t noticed any effect on my blood sugars myself. Oh, my allergist switched me from the OTC medicine I had been taking to a different one she said was better quality, I don’t like to give out those kind of details since some things should be done on the advice of a physician, but that one is working well for me too.