Genetic Testing- Help please

I am doing a short project for my Medical Ethics class and I need information on genetic testing and diabetes. Can anyone email me any articles that they might have? Or list any website that might help me.

My email address is Dillripple@hotmail.com

Thanks so much!

SUE

Does anyone have any article of the stats of the percentage a child would have diabetes if the mother or father has Diabetes?

I know this was covered in another thread but I don't know which one. Sorry :/[quote user="Sue"]

Does anyone have any article of the stats of the percentage a child would have diabetes if the mother or father has Diabetes?

[/quote]

Here you go - from the ADA website.  :)

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/genetics-of-diabetes.html

Type 1 Diabetes: Your Child's Risk

In general, if you are a man with type 1 diabetes, the odds of your child getting diabetes are 1 in 17. If you are a woman with type 1 diabetes and your child was born before you were 25, your child's risk is 1 in 25; if your child was born after you turned 25, your child's risk is 1 in 100.

Your child's risk is doubled if you developed diabetes before age 11. If both you and your partner have type 1 diabetes, the risk is between 1 in 10 and 1 in 4.

There is an exception to these numbers. About 1 in every 7 people with type 1 diabetes has a condition called type 2 polyglandular autoimmune syndrome.

In addition to having diabetes, these people also have thyroid disease and a poorly working adrenal gland. Some also have other immune system disorders. If you have this syndrome, your child's risk of getting the syndrome including type 1 diabetes is 1 in 2.

Researchers are learning how to predict a person's odds of getting diabetes. For example, most whites with type 1 diabetes have genes called HLA-DR3 or HLA-DR4.

If you and your child are white and share these genes, your child's risk is higher. (Suspect genes in other ethnic groups are less well studied. The HLA-DR7 gene may put African Americans at risk, and the HLA-DR9 gene may put Japanese at risk.)

Other tests can also make your child's risk clearer. A special test that tells how the body responds to glucose can tell which school-aged children are most at risk.

Another more expensive test can be done for children who have siblings with type 1 diabetes. This test measures antibodies to insulin, to islet cells in the pancreas, or to an enzyme called glutamic acid decarboxylase. High levels can indicate that a child has a higher risk of developing type 1 diabetes.

Also, on the JDRF website:

http://www.jdrf.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.viewPage&page_id=7779A7FE-7570-4E05-9CB2FA6BE7340ED0

Actually, if you go to jdrf.org, and type "genetics" in the search box, it looks like you'll find several articles.  Hope this helps!  :)

thanks so much! It does help alot.