Getting Diagnosed

i hate when people ask if you are sure you can have it? why do they do that. ARE YOU SURE? ugh...

[quote user="Gina"]

i hate when people ask if you are sure you can have it? why do they do that. ARE YOU SURE? ugh...

[/quote]

I hate that too..but I also don't explain WHY i can have it.

I just go "Yeah i can." and take it. that's it. I feel no NEED to explain "yeah as long as my blood sugar is under control I can". that doesn't really matter to anyone but YOU, and it's none of their business anyways. all they need to know is that "YES I CAN HAVE A HUGE PIECE OF CAKE! GIMME! KTHX!".

When faced with this situation, I tell people that I have the 'easy' Diabetes since I can just pump insulin and eat whatever I want instead of having to control with diet, pills, and exercise like their Type 2 grandmother, coworker, husband, etc.  (Not that I should just pump and eat, but it usually shuts them up.)

[quote user="Lisa C"]

When faced with this situation, I tell people that I have the 'easy' Diabetes since I can just pump insulin and eat whatever I want instead of having to control with diet, pills, and exercise like their Type 2 grandmother, coworker, husband, etc.  (Not that I should just pump and eat, but it usually shuts them up.)

[/quote]

Hahhahah that is great. The "easy" diabetes. Yea, that's what it is. I'm sure people just nod politely and smile when you say that!

This isn't exactly on topic, but I feel it relates. Everyone has seen now the little flash advertisement up at the top of the page with the little animated woman taking the cupcake from her Diabetic friend and then fending her off after she tries to reach to get it back...

I used to work with someone like that when I was an intern a couple years ago. We would have department birthday get togethers and I would go for a piece of cake only to have it whisked out of my hand by this woman (who happened to be my manager!). What I wouldn't have given for this site to be in existence then, or if it was, for myself to have known about it.

Of the millions of Type 1's out there, there are probably 5 fold that amount of people who just don't understand or are ignorant of why we are insulin dependent vs. the Type 2's who are diet/lifestyle dependent.

Gina, I plan on printing out those Diabetes Etiquette cards because I'm sick of having to explain to people what I'm doing anytime I eat or have to correct a high glucose level. I especially enjoy the misconception that I've heard from many people when trying to bolus, "Oh are you giving yourself some sugar?" At that point, it isn't even worth explaining, and I just nod and smile.

You can't blame others for their ignorance I suppose, but it gets very frustrating to deal with the same questions over and over...much less from the same people.

Elie,

Although I haven't been officially diagnosed, I'm pretty sure I have Celiac's too because every time I eat wheat I have GI issues and joint pain. A little over a year ago, I was anemic and experienced extreme muscle fatigue in my quadriceps, especially when I would run or go up steps.

I hope this is helpful!

Mallory

Yeah, I don't know if it's muscle weakness or muscle fatigue (I still don't really understand the difference). But I'm cutting gluten out of my diet to see if anything changes. Thanks Mal =)

It took me about 3 weeks for things to get back to normal :)

P.S. Soy sauce and a lot of tomato products aren't gluten-free

Mal

Soy-sauce! I love soy sauce! And I was planning on making stir-fry soon.. All right, thanks for the heads up. Also, I don't know if it's too soon to tell, but I think I feel a little better. Who needs wheat anyway haha

That's the spirit!  

*<:^D

Hi I have Type 1 diabetes with Celiac disease. Actually, I was first diagnosed with Type 1 in 2003. I never had high sugars earlier. My sugars suddently shot up when I was being treated with Wysolone 5 mg tablet daily for Seaboric dermatitis (dandruff) . Once the sugars went up to around 400 mark, it wouldn't come under control thru tablets. I was put on insulin. Though I underwent lot of changes in my insulin regime, currently I am on combination of Rapid acting (Bolus) and Lantus (Basal). After 2-3 years of my Type 1 diabetes, gradually I had lot of stomach upsets and weight loss, when my doctor correctly diagnosed it for celiac disease. Once I stopped gluten, I gradually felt more energetic, gained weight and got the right BMI.

Over the years, I have experimented and found out lot of alternatives to gluten including Gluten free wheat. This has helped. But still, I need to be careful and the choices are not so many as one may think.... still working on my diet to make it better. Definitely, here a good support from my family has helped a lot.

I don't officially have celiac. Both my parents have gluten intolerance and our family doctor told me that it would help if I didn't eat is as well. Since I don't even have a gluten intolerance I "cheat" when I'm with friends but at home, everything is gluten free. There's a lot of stuff out there that's gluten free. Heads up, there's also a ton of stuff you wouldn't think would have gluten but it does. Spices, soy sauce (there is a gluten free version), canned soups, and some other canned products. Hope you feel better and let us know how it goes.

fyi - fwiw - i really like coconut aminos as a soy alternative...

hey just wanted to let you know, since you seem really into your soy sauce! haha they make a really good gluten free one that you can find just about anywhere and you honestly can’t tell the difference between them. we use it in my house and everybody loves it and can’t tell a difference! :slight_smile: