Glucagon

Have you ever had to use your Glucagon kit?

Nope!!

I hope never.

K

Don't even have one.

[quote user="Keith221"]

Don't even have one.

[/quote]

I have so many expired ones sitting around the house -- want any? I always forget to refill!

(Luckily, never had to use one)

Once or twice a long time ago, but not since like 1990.

No.  I had one kit and it expired about 25 years ago and I never replaced it.

I have two and as a parent I dont think I will never not have one but maybe. She has hit some lows at night and doesnt feel them all that well. And it really doesnt hurt to have them on hand just in case. I hope with all my might I will never have to use one.

[quote user="Jessica "]

I have two and as a parent I dont think I will never not have one but maybe. She has hit some lows at night and doesnt feel them all that well. And it really doesnt hurt to have them on hand just in case. I hope with all my might I will never have to use one.

[/quote]

Ignore us Jessica! You absolutely should have one around. If only my Mom would get it refilled for me each time and send it up from FL, I'd be good. (:

But, I always worry that if my husband had to actually give it, he'd spend 15 minutes carefully reading the directions without giving it yet. At least you know how to give an injection now!

i have one; i've never used it. i have a tendency to let it expire too. not on purpose, though. i just don't think about it because i've never had to use it before. i hope i never have to. i have trained a couple of my friends on how to use them and where to find them just in case.

Nope, never used it.  They always expire.

I am working on a school project to make a better glucagon kit thats easier to use, better instructions..etc. If any of you could fill out a quick survey about glucagon kits, I would really appreciate it. I am a type 1 diabetic myself and I feel that if I were to ever go into a diabetic acoma with no family around that actually knows how to use a glucagon kit, I would be screwed!

Thank you for your time!

Heres a link to the survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z2L6GVG

Never used one.  All the ones I have are good (not expired)

I have 2 at my hosue, 1 right next to my bed, 1 in the cupboard.

My school nurse has 1

My coach has 1.

All know how to use it.

Never had to use one.   After the first one expired and my insurance wouldn't cover it, I decided not to get another one.  I tell everyone I am with if I do pass out, to put REAL sugar in my gum.  Never happened and hope it never does.  I know I should have one, but the extra money on top of everything else is just too much sometimes. 

I've never had to use one in my eight years of being diabetic. I'm required to keep a non-expired one in the health room at school at all times, and I always have one in my purse, but we're usually a few months late once we realize they're expired.

I hope we never have to use the one we have for my daughter, but I will always keep one on me just in case.

For those of you who have the expired ones have you thought of checking with your endos office to see if you can donate them to the hospital or something so that parents of new T1 have a way to practice while they are learning.  Thats what the childrens hospital has up here so while we were getting the education we were able to practice with the expired kits so we wouldnt be so panicy in that situation.

Yes!

I wouldn't go without it. My son used one once a couple years ago. We keep one with us when we travel, one at home, school and church. It is so scary as a parent when your child is out cold. The only worse thing is having it happen and NOT having a glucagon shot. It is sometimes a financial burden as insurance doesn't always cover it but I think it's a necessary one.

Having a glucagon kit doesn't help unless one person accessible to the diabetic ALWAYS knows how to use it. We have multiple people everywhere we routinely leave our son that know how to give him the shot. My younger son is 7 and has grown up around his brothers diabetes. He even knows how to give the shot. I guess I'm one of those better safe than sorry people.  

My doctor told us that we can use the Glucagon kit up to a few months after the expiration date.

Nope, never used one but I had one episode where it should have been used...They are all over my house, at school, and in my diabetes bag when I travel.   

nope ever but can u reuse exspierd ones.

I've had one used on me a few times when I was younger.  It sucked.  I always felt so tired for the rest of the day after.

I just recently learned that (at least in massachusetts) even paramedics won't give glucagon - of course, paramedics can start IVs and give IV glucose, which works even if your liver is out of glycogen, so it does makes sense... I just thought that was interesting.

I have never used a kit, but I have a friend who knows where to find one if she were to need it. She makes me nervous, though, because she seems to get high and low mixed up a lot. Hopefully, she won't ever have to do it.