Guilt

I love carbs and it is very hard to stay away from them I always feel tempted to eat bread, cookies, juices, and other foods that are high in carbs. It is extremely hard to stay away and it makes me feel guilty when I take a bite because then my sugars spike like crazy. It is sad to see my family and friends eat whatever they want at any time they want. Any advice and tips? Newly diagnosed about 2 months ago.

Hi @Pris804 it takes a long time to learn to use insulin. There are many variables including your level of stress, intake of fats, consistency of exercise… etc. that goes into blood sugar outcomes After experience and observation of what works for you, then there is zero reason to avoid carbohydrates. I enjoy pizza and candy when I want to eat them, zero guilt as guilt is completely optional in my opinion and my highest A1C has been 6.5% for the last decade. Please consider getting the book “Think like a Pancreas” and working with a CDE and a nutritionist and I believe you can figure out diabetes in a way that works best for you. :four_leaf_clover:

I was diagnosed 11 months ago. I have found some really good lower carb options for many foods. I found Kroger Carbmaster bread that I think is delicious and allows me to eat a sandwich or toast. Think! Keto protein bars are also delicious (I like the peanut butter pie covered in chocolate) and I feel like I’m eating dessert. I buy Keto ice cream, etc. I bolus for the carbs which are much lower and find the spikes are much reduced. Don’t feel guilty. This is not easy and very unpredictable. With time you can find alternatives to higher carb foods that you can enjoy. I also eat birthday cake, donuts etc but much smaller quantities than before diagnosed. I feel “normal” while keeping my numbers in line. I also found some pizza stores offer crustless pizza, which I really like. If not - I mainly eat the toppings.
This is really hard and lots of people don’t understand the lifestyle changes we need to make.
I second reading the book “Think like a pancreas”!
It’s very helpful
Take care and best wishes. Celebrate the good days!

Hi @Pris804 and welcome to the club nobody wants to be in. It will take some time to learn how to manage your diabetes. Your at the bottom of a step learning curve and you’ll never stop learning because your body’s needs will change from time to time.
I highly recommend you check out the book Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. He has diabetes and works in the field so has a unique personal perspective that is particularly helpful.
Work closely with your medical team - ideally am endo who specializes specifically with Type1; a nurse educator; a nutritionist; and if you think it would be helpful (many do) - a counselor.
You may be on a strict regimen as you work with your doctor to find the regimen that works best for you - adjustments to insulin will be necessarily as you figure things out, and that’s part of the process. In time, as you learn how to cover carbs you’ll be able to join your friends.
Keep good records of your carbs, exercise, stress and general health - this will help your doctor tweak things (eventually you may be able to do the on your own). There are a number of apps to choose from: - most are free but my favorite was MyNetDiary which had an annual subscription fee; I use Glooko now (switched to Glooko when I started using an Omnipod pump). It’s really a matter of psychosocial preference, and of course you can just plain old pencil and paper if you prefer. I find the me vigilant me records, the better I’m able to manage and adjust.
Wishing you all the best.

Hi Priscilla @Pris804! I was diagnosed 3 years ago. I do not limit my carbs and I eat what everyone else eats. I just adjust my insulin for my food. I have found that eating the “low carb” processed options aren’t for me. Often the low carb processed foods (like tortilla wraps or bars) include ingredients that spike my blood sugar. I would rather just have the real flour tortilla. I do occasionally cook low carb. Like cabbage sautéed with veggies and protein. But, I do it because it is tasty. I put my homemade jam on my toast, I eat pizza, and when I make peanut butter cookies for my kids, I don’t stress when I blink and eat 4 of them! :slightly_smiling_face: I have learned, through trial and error, how to use my insulin. For foods that really spike my blood sugar, I bolus ahead of time. Cereal (for me) needs to be eaten for lunch. Etc. You will be ok and should be able to eat like a normal person. The only difference for me is that I whip out my insulin pen before eating!

1 Like

It’s hard. It’ll take a while to get used to how your body works now.

But how high are we talking? For how long?

Carbs are not the enemy. Your body literally runs on sugar. Every cell in your body uses sugar to recharge itself as it goes through its necessary activities. Complex carbs are just sugar molecules connected together in a chain so that they digest more slowly. There is no guilt in wanting carbs because your body biologically needs carbs.

The major trick is to moderate your intake, so that you’re eating the right amount of carbs for your metabolism, activity level, etc.

The other trick is learning to take the right amount of insulin at the right time. You’re only 2 months in, so you may find your insulin to carb ratio changing over the next year. That’s natural. But work with your doctor and if you need more insulin, take it. It also helps if you can take your insulin first and eat 15 minutes or so later, so the insulin has time to kick in before the carbs hit. (Depending on what your blood sugar is before you eat, the specifics of what you’re eating, etc.)

Diabetes is a lot, especially early on. But as you learn the ropes, get experience, and understand more about how your individual body responds to things, it’ll start to become second nature. It’s okay. Hang in there. You’ll get it.

Don’t feel guilty for wanting food. You can’t live without it. Just don’t overdo it. And talk to a dietician if you need help figuring out what’s appropriate for you.

I totally felt that when I was first diagnosed. I totally thought I couldn’t eat things that I used to (like desserts). I’ve learned since then that YOU CAN EAT WHATEVER YOU WANT WHENEVER. Please don’t limit yourself to keep your daily carbs low. Doctors do like it, but it’s better for you to be happy. Don’t go overboard with it (like don’t be giving 200 carbs at once), but eat what you want. Idk if you use a pump or a shot, but on the Omnipod pump you can give an extended basal, which is really helpful for controlling your sugar after a lot of carbs.

I promise you can still live a normal life. All you gotta do is give insulin for the food you eat. It’s not a big deal.