Hello, new to the group

Hello!  My name is Mickie.  I have 3 wonderful children, Matt(16), Marissa(9) and Tanner(7). 

On October 13, 2009, I took Marissa and Tanner to the docs for their yearly physical.  They always do a urine screening. The nurse calmly asked me, " Does Marissa always dump sugar into her urine?"  Being a CNA for almost 13 years, I almost fell off my chair.  I said no, and by that time she was pricking her finger for a reading of 269. The doc checked her over then checked over Tanner.  She then said she will be right back and she was going to call the pediatric endocrinologist to see what to do from there.  Well from her appt, we went for lab work which she had a glucose reading of 209.  We seen the endocrinologist that very evening. Then it was an appt with diabetes self management.  At that point, they put her on 1 unit of Lantus at bedtime.  They said we caught it very early.  He wanted to do labs the next day to confirm everything and to see if she had ciliac disease too.  So she fasted all night, had her lab work done, then it was off then it was back to the diabetes self management class.  Everyone was so nice and helpful.

That very next day of finding all of this out, Marissa decided it was up to her to do her shot herself.  I was ready to do for her though.  I was so very proud of her to take the initiative and go into this all head on.  She pretty much does everything herself except when the rotation comes around to do her shot in the arms, then I will do those for her. 

She has only cried over this once and that was the day they called and confirmed she was a type 1 diabetic but was thankful she was negative for ciliac disease. 

She is so eager to do what she can and we have been looking into clinical trials.  She says she will do what it takes to help another child.  I am so very proud of my daughter.  Yes, I wish every day that I could take it from her, but I am very happy that she has taken the responsibility at such a young age. 

I am looking forward to getting to know you and your families. We are also located in South Central PA,

Have a wonderful night.

Welcome aboard Mickie.  I have 4 children,  Alley (17), Brittni (13), Cameron (11), and Destiny (6).  My youngest, Destiny was diagnosed with Type 1 in May of 2008.  She has an insulin pump and has taken over most of the management.  Of course I still help count carbs and change her site every 3 days but she is really good about taking care of it.  I am so proud of your daughter.  She will definatley have good days and bad days and that is why we are here.  I am glad you found us and look forward to talking to you again soon!

I find myself spending time here off and on depending on how things are going. I like to come here and read and write both when things are going well and when I am struggling. And boy are there roller coasters with this disease.

I have 2 girls -- Chelsey is 12 (going on 35) and Maya just turned 10. Maya was diagnosed on March 25th, 2009. Your post brought me back to those first few days. It was so incredibly emotional and still brings tears to my eyes. We have come a long way. We're just now in the process of deciding on a pump (or deciding that we're not ready -- still to be determined).

Best of luck with everything! Hope you find this site as comforting as I have.

Hi Mickie,

We are in South Central PA too, my daughter is Catie (9) and was dx 6/19/09.  Did you see Dr. Friedman at Wellspan Health?  He is so great because he lets us email him and call him any time with questions about changing doses, when Catie was sick with swine flu, etc.

Hang in there.

Yes, we see Dr. Friedman too.  I email him and Lori at Diabetes Self Management her glucose readings every week.

She seems to be on a roller coaster right now.  She was on Lantus just at night and was doing ok.  Then we were given a sliding scale which we start at 200 instead of 150 because it was dropping her too low.  Always counted carbs.  Last week, they started the Novolog with the 1:30 ratio with her carbs.  That was going really well.  Now last night she was just over 300 at bedtime and tonight at dinner time she was just over 300 at 5:30.  At 2, she was 190 and had  no snack.  I just dont get it.  Guess I have to call them tomorrow.

I am so frazzled and I know we are only at the beginning and it is going to take some time before she is anywhere near stable.  I just really dont want her getting sick.  I am so thankful it was caught early and not when we had to rush her to the hospital for some reason.  I want to put her in a bubble and keep her there to keep her safe, but I know she would have no parts of that!

I hope everyone has a wonderful night and all of our children stay within range, healthy and happy!!

Mickie

Hi Mickie,  Welcome to juvenation! I hope you find lots of helpful info here and can share some of your experiences with the community. Make sure to drop me a line if you have any questions or recommendations about the site.

~Red

My best advice -- DON'T STRESS ABOUT THE NUMBERS! You will make yourself crazy. Maya has now had diabetes for 6 months and we can go several days with sort of "normal" numbers (although never are they always in range), but then something I can't figure out will cause her to jump on the rollercoaster again. The hardest part of it isn't even not understanding -- it's watching her go through how awful it makes her feel to bounce around like that. She gets crabby and has headaches and feels plain miserable. But if you stress about the numbers, I think they notice and it makes them feel that much worse. Do what you can and ask for advice from the endo office, but keep your sanity intact. It will help everyone in the long run. They keep telling me that better control is in our future -- it just takes time. And there is always something (illness, puberty, stress, anxiety) that is not in our control that will throw their numbers out of whack.

Hang in there! It really does get easier.

Thanks for all the kind words.  The nurse from the diabetes self management office called me before I called her.  We are not going to  change anything with Marissa because her numbers have been pretty good with the exception of those 2 - 300's.  The one from yesterday, she thinks is because she had too much fat in that meal (Hardees) and it took longer to peak ( almost 5 hours later).  She was 187 at lunch then in the 190's at 2 after the 3 units of novolog to cover her lunch then jumped to the 300's.   She just suggested that maybe add another half unit or unit to a fatty meal but do check on her like I did yesterday to make sure it doesnt drop her too low.  She has a tendency to drop from 300 to the 70's or 80's right away. 

I am hanging in there.  This is an all new ball game for me compared to dealing with type 2 diabetes. We go back to the docs on the 24th, so we will see.

Thanks for being so kind to me during all of this.  I am glad I have someplace to go with all of this.

Mickie

Remember; they are still kids.  If you pick your kids up from school or if you walk in the door at night; make sure you ask them, how was your day?  Do you have homework?  What did you do in Gym today?  Same old questions that  you use to ask.  Don't start off on, how are you feeling?  What are your numbers?  Did you check your bs when you got home, etc... 

I've learned there is no rhyme or reason to these numbers; but I will tell you.  The healthier my kid eats, the better his numbers are to manage.  The more active he is, the better his numbers are.  I know they tell us that kids can eat whatever they want and just take a shot for it.  Well, it's usually with a price to pay.  If my kid eats Captain Crunch... ha ha ha.....  forget it.  HIGH HIGH HIGH....  If he eats oatmeal, great numbers.  If he eats pizza, High; Chinese High, Crappy food from McDonalds... HIGH... the higher the fat content the longer it "hangs on" and usually hangs on though the next day.  So you are playing catch up.  The better we feed him, the better his numbers are and he's getting that.

He's 13 and was dx July 08.  He's tried the pump trial and is not interested in it at this point.  I'm leaving it up to him.  He is the one having to manage this disease for the rest of his life. 

Hang in there; we have to be there for each other.  Tomorrow I will need the pick me up!

Most days I am glad she is homeschooled.  I try not to ask her all the time if she feels ok.  I only try to ask her if she is pale or just seems to be zoning.  I know if she gets irritable and cranky, she is usually high.

I dread the day she decides she wants to go back to school.  Right now, I am concerned about her competition cheering practice.  Parents arent allowed in the practice because there is reallly is no room and the girls need to focus.  I will have to inform her new coach of everything and Marissa always has her purse with her.  I will be staying in the parking lot so I will be close if here is need for me.

It is always so comforting to me to hear everyone's stories.  I am new to the group too, and still trying to figure out exactly how Juvenation works.  The one thing I have figured out is that I am glad it exists!  We have twin 7 year old daughters, and one of them-Jessica was diagnosed October 7th.  It has been quite a roller coaster and every time I think I am doing great I get another wave of sadness.  I love the advice of don't stress over the numbers, and am going to try to do that this week.  With our daughter too there seems to not be a lot of rhyme or reason to the highs or lows.  Hers was caught extremely early too, so she is on ridiculously small doses (1/2 unit of lantus and Novolog with most meals.)  It makes it hard for her diabetes team to give advice about what to do, especially with the lows.  I am hopeful it will level off over time.  All of these children amaze me with how well they cope with all of this.  And, I remain hopeful that as technology improves this will all get easier for them.  Hopefully it will get easier for their parents too.

Hello Mickie

Welcome to our world. You will find friends here, lots of real life information from those that have lived it and parents who have and are going thru it. There is a great deal of experience, we have some who have more than one child with diabetes, we have those who have had diabetes from the time they were teens to adulthood and we even have a gentleman who has had diabetes since the late 1950's. All are worth getting to know. You can get information on the pump, you can ask lots of questions but best of all you can share your problems. October 13 was not long ago and you will hear lots of verbage like A1C and bolas and Ping and might wonder what they are. You are leaning. The honeymoon period is still in your world and your child is a trooper like all the young people who get diabetes. You will have your good days and bad days.  I would suggest that Marissa accesses this site as well. Having people her own age will be of benefit. 

Hope to hear from you soon