HELP! Pump not working for me

Hi, I am 31 years old and have had diabetes since I was 4 years old.  I have never been able to find a regimen that actually w rks for me.  I suspect I have an insulin absorption problem the the very least.

I have been on the insulin pump for several years and have not had much luck.  I am allergic to the adhesive (i've tried tons of different infusion sets and 'remedies') and have to change the pump almost daily.  It has had a very negative impact on my self esteem... It leaves nasty scars behind.

I live in a geographic area that has no endocrinologists (!!!!) and no experts really to talk to about this.  I'm wondering if anyone has ideas or has tried lantus or any other options i might try?  Has anyone else had this problem?  What did you do if so?

Aloha-

marlena

I have had a pretty similar problem since i was dx at age 6. i found switching to Lantus and Novorapid, from the Humulin N & R i was on for 13years a great help. I recently tried the pump and after 3 months found that my blood sugar pattern wasn't ideal for that method of insulin delivery, due to not having a pattern in my levels and what I'm assuming to be a daily change in insulin absorption even if I do the same thing everyday!

Really, this is something that in the end you will need to contact an Endo about, as all we can really do is give you personal experiences. Is there an Endo you can be in contact via e-mail? Or possibly a family doctor that has experience with T1 Diabetics that you could see?

Hi, Im a mother of a boy who was diagnosed when he has 2 years (he got 9).  Always he's in high.  My husband and I, we don't like the pump insuline because he do a lot of sports which is soccer and others.

but we found this (Omnipod) is very nice and a lot of people are using and they are function very nice.  This is the website.  You could check.  They send you a demo and you can talk with them 24 hours.  This is the link and I hope was a help for you.

http://www.myomnipod.com/about-omnipod/

Hi. I seem to be having trouble with my pump as well.  I seem to become insensitive to 2 types of fast acting insulin (Humlog and Apidra) and have recently gone back to using Novolog pens and Lantus at night because I got a bad flu and had a bad blood sugar reaction. I seem to have more trouble with the pump with unpredictable blood sugars that do not respond to any type of insulin. I start to wonder if the pump itself is even working!!! So I know what you mean about having trouble with being allergic. I wonder if these symptoms are experienced by a lot of people? It seems like everyone raves about the pump, and it has worked insome respects, but you can not always tell if the infusion set is in right, etc. And the endocrinologists and diabetes educators don't seem to experience this too often. I am about to call Animas Corp to ask them about these problems. I hate doing shots again, but I have to right now. Good luck!!

Ariela

This sure sounds like your basal dosages are not on the mark with the pump. I've only seen this with infections or a basal that is not high enough. 

What % or you daily insulin dosage was basal when on the pump?

Hi batts,

I have an endo that I can fly to see, but for some reason he doesn't really give me alternate ideas- he thinks the sun rises and sets with the pump and so does his health educator that i get pawned off to.  They think I'm imagining things when i tell them I'm allergic to the adhesive, etc. 

I've tried lantus with humalog and its not too horrible, just not as tight of control as i'd like.  It was strange how my body all of a sudden worked with the pump when i was pregnant so i got a taste of what the pump can do for you when it works properly.  I haven't been able to get it to work for me again like that unfortunatley!

I scheduled an appointment with my endo and i'm going to take the ideas given to me on this post, so thank you for sharing!  I think if i come in with some solutions, he may be more open to discussing options.  Let's see...

Have a great day!
marlena

about 1/4 to 1/3 my daily dose. I kept increasing my basal, but nothing was working. I went off the pump this weekend and back to lantus and novolog and that seems to be working now. I realize now how inconvenient injections are compared with the pump, but at lest it gets my blood sugar down. Have you heard of this happening before?

Sorry for the bad experience brodskya.

The basal dose of 1/4 -1/3 of your TDI (total daily insulin) from what I understand over the is most often in the 45-60% range (roughly, I forget what Pumping Insulin has as a starting point).

I have a 42% basal dosage and have ranged from 40 to 50% over the last 14 years of Pump usage.

The only way to start use on a pump is to spend a week on establishing your Basal rates before doing anything else, I:C ratio, Daily Carbos, 1:mg/dl ratio, and other thing like that.

Pumping Insulin or Think Like A Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin are both good books on understand and managing D with insulin (MDI or Pump). 

Marlena-

I understand your frustration. Unfortunately there's no silver bullet regimen out there. My wife has had good luck with a Lantus and Novolog combination. Our daughter uses a pump. Different treatments work better for diffferent people- even if they're in the same family. It all depends on biology, lifestyle, etc.

One other thing that I have been reading more about is adding Symlin as part of  comprehensive treatment. Here's what it does according to the Drugs.com website:  It slows the rate that food moves from your stomach to your intestines, which keeps your blood sugar from rising too fast. Symlin also lowers the amount of glucose (sugar) your liver produces. Lastly, it triggers the feeling of fullness after meals to help control your appetite and decrease how much food you eat.

The best advice I can give you, if there are no endocrinologists in your area are to: 1.) ask your primary care physician to refer you to an endo she respects, and correspond with her remotely (email and phone) 2.) see if you can find a qualified diabetes nurse (preferably a certified diabetes educator- CDE) to help give you some guidance.

~ Red Maxwell

have you tried double side tape? The worse part of the pump is the scars

Great ideas- thank  you very much :)

Marlena,

I find it interesting that you had success with the pump during your pregnancy, but haven't been able to duplicate that when you're not pregnant.  Have you ever been tested for PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)?  It can cause insulin resistance and all sorts of hormonal imbalances due to cystic ovaries that can affect your blood sugar.  I'm thinking that if you did have PCOS, maybe the symptoms would be lessened during pregnancy because you wouldn't be ovulating?  I don't know, it's just an idea.  The test for PCOS is a simple blood test that can be added on to your regular bloodwork if you ask your doctor and he thinks it's a good idea to test.  Good luck!

Molly