Help! Too Many Carbs

We have a 40 lb child that is newly diagnosed Type 1. She is on a carb:insulin diet. The nutritionist wants her to have 45-60 carbs/meal and 15 carbs/snack. This just seems like so much to me. Diabetic adults eat this much per meal… We stay away from processed foods, so getting this many carbs in a meal is extremely difficult. She has more food on her plate than anyone else in the house. Any ideas on how to increase her carbs with HEALTHY carbs? the poor girl is really getting sick of brown rice and whole grain pasta. TIA

I recommend talking to the nutritionist. it is likely that your daughter is below average weight for her height and age and this might be an attempt to put some body mass on her. if this is the case, IMO, any calories would do the job, and this is not limited to loading up on carbs and insulin.

if the nutritionist wont work with you, you can always find another one, they’re supposed to work for you.

good luck

@Onehappylady,

When I was first diagnosed my doctor put me on 60 carbs per meal because I was VERY underweight at that time. For obvious reasons. Get carbs from fruits and veggies. My go to for carb counting is calorieking.com, most CDE offices have this book in print and they have a mobile app as well. I know it seems difficult right now but, it does get EASIER. Hang in there! We are here for you!

@Gina makes a great point. Some great high carb foods are milk and fruit juice, which are great for kids since they’ll actually eat them and they don’t fill them up too much. I really like the GoGo Squeeze applesauce (you can find them at WalMart and other grocery stores) especially the cinnamon, and they are all natural and easy to take with you or put in a lunch.

Calorie King has a website, app, and also a book you can find for less than $10. It’s the best resource I’ve found for carb counting after doing it for 20+ years.

Know that a lot of nutritionist encourage newly diagnosed diabetics to eat a strict meal plan like what you’re doing now. It’s to help you get a feel for carb counting. What most of us do in real life is eat normally and then adjust our insulin for the actual food eaten. Strict “diabetic diets” are unnecessary thanks to carb counting, but you do have to be aware of how certain foods affect blood sugar and sometimes decide what’s worth it or not (like I rarely eat cereal in the morning because it spikes my blood sugar too high).

Your daughter may also have been malnourished from before her type 1 was diagnosed, but she should catch up from that pretty quickly now that she’s getting more normal insulin levels now.

If you haven’t read them there are a couple diabetes books that have helped me a lot. Your library may have them or you can find them online:

• Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner
  • 50 Diabetes Myths That Can Ruin Your Life; And the 50 Diabetes Truths That Can Save It by Riva Greenberg
  • Using Insulin by John Walsh