Hi All - it’s been a tremendous challenge to find acceptable babysitters and /or camps or even after school care for my daughter since she was diagnosed last year. I was able to push one of her camp sites to take her in during breaks, while I remain on standby in the vicinity (upstairs). I’m lucky enough to work remote, but others don’t. I’m on hand with a Glucagon pen and insulin and tabs. However, I’m interested in helping to start a summer camp for Type 1 kids in this area.
The school district nurse and others indicate that they are seeing a rise in the # of diabetic kids. There’s a tremendous need out there and I’m thinking about approaching my daughter’s camp / recreation site about working with me to set one up. Question is where do I start? what’s essential? Would love your input on what else I’m missing here? I want to approach them with a reasonable request.
- Staffing needs: NP / RN / diabetes educator on staff, 2-3 FT health assistants w/related experience
- time from NP/RN to review of each child’s doctor’s orders
- 2-3 hr training of onsite coaches (usually high school or college kids) on diabetic child needs and safety
- agreement on appropriate lunch and snack menu (current one is sky high on carbs)
- safety/liability agreements between parents and facility
-camp activities should involve a session that allows kids to address their Q’s and concerns about their diabetes - what it’s like to have T1? address their emotional needs…
-the place usually breaks up the child ages, but I’m thinking to ensure enough kids participate, they could be combined 5 to 12 yrs old.
My pitch to the campsite is that its an opportunity for them to market to this niche and they could charge a bit more, given the added cost of the expert staff onsite and specialized diets, and training time of coaches needed, perhaps 10-15% above usual fees. Would appreciate others thoughts on how best to approach this and what other considerations to share with the campsite. Thanks for your insights!