Hey, Did you hear that Diabetes is now "DEADLY"

It is no longer manageable!!

I got this email from USF as i am an ALUM:
From: Jay Wilson, Director, Foundation Communications [mailto:jaywilson@usf.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 11:12 AM
From: Jay Wilson, Director, Foundation Communications [mailto:jaywilson@usf.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 11:12 AM
To: Terle, Scott
Subject: USF Diabetes Center Searching for Cure
View this email in a web page
USF: UNSTOPPABLE
Dear Friend of USF,
The USF Diabetes Center, part of the USF Morsani College of Medicine, is conducting global research to find a cure while making life better for patients in Tampa Bay. Led by Drs. Jeffrey Krischer and Henry Rodriguez, the Center is focused on making a difference in the lives of patients today and bringing an end to this deadly disease.
To watch the video, click the image above or follow this link. To learn more about the USF: Unstoppable Campaign, visit http://www.unstoppable.usf.edu. To give to the Diabetes Center, click here.
USF FOUNDATION
© USF FOUNDATION / UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA
CONTACT US / UNSTOPPABLE.USF.EDU
University of South Florida Foundation
Subject: USF Diabetes Center Searching for Cure
View this email in a web page
USF: UNSTOPPABLE

NOTE: they state diabetes is a deadly disease …Have i been lied to all these years? I have always been told it was a MANAGEABLE disease - yes complications are possible. So I wrote to Jay and asked him when they changed it from manageable to deadly. His response:
Hi Scott,

I’m glad you enjoyed the Webisode on the USF Diabetes Center. I can promise you we’re not making a marketing point when we call T1 Diabetes a deadly disease.
According the American Diabetes Association Website:
Deaths: Diabetes remains the 7th leading cause of death in the United States in 2010, with 69,071 death certificates listing it as the underlying cause of death, and a total of 234,051 death certificates listing diabetes as an underlying or contributing cause of death.

Best,
Jay

So has our status changed — I believe that ALL T1 diabetics should receive FREE medical care if it is DEADLY!!
Scott Terle

I try my best to have no animosity and not discriminate against type 2 diabetics, but when it comes to statistical research, type 2 numbers really skew the numbers for type 1s. Researchers and medical professionals all like we’re all alike and that’s just not true.

Someone with type 2 is much more likely to be in poor health, be older, and have worse education. The type of complications they develop and the rate at which they develop them is different. And the mortality rate from them is different too.

So Scott Terle is just like the most of his colleagues. But he’s still wrong and you are right. Type 1 is manageable.

P.S. The question kind of made me curious about what the other causes of death are. http://www.realclearscience.com/journal_club/2013/03/01/top_10_causes_of_death_in_the_us_106473.html

@jennagrant

Wow, with unintentional injuries being #5 I should by accident insurance!!

Diabetes still ranks #7.

Yeah, don’t know if it makes me feel better or worse that statistically I’m more likely to die from a car accident or poisoning than diabetes. Of course, I’m not a statistic.

And the truth is, we’re all super likely to die from heart disease or stroke. Guess I should put the double cheeseburger down…

Interesting topic. I read a book a few months ago called “Bitter Sweet.” It described how a young person (usually, but not always) diagnosed T1 died within year or two. This was literally a “deadly” disease: starvation,even with access to plenty of food. But the advent of injectable insulin turned “death sentence” to “chronic,” ie, manageable. And the unintended consequences of things like vision problems, neuropothy, needle injections, diet control, etc. I would HIGHLY recommend this book. Be warned: the turn of the century (late 1800-early 1900’s) photos of emaciated (dying) children will break your heart. But, maybe diabetes is again considered a “deadly” disease?

It makes you wonder why Diabetes is still such a misunderstood disease compared to others such as breast cancer.

It all comes to marketing I suppose. More people want to talk about breasts than they do high blood sugars… Not that I want to down play any other diseases because they all suck. My friend is a breast cancer survivor and she went through a lot which made me thankful that there were so many organizations for her to reach out to.

But as a diabetic, I would like to see more attention on us. The ride the cure in San Diego each year I don’t think even reaches it’s goal of $500K. I actually think they lowered the goal for 2015. But I could be wrong here.

And yes, it is interesting to think that in the early 1900s diabetes was essentially a death sentence. Didn’t they discover insulin by testing on dogs? It’s sad to think about, but that’s a whole other debate.

Type 1 Diabetes is a mystery to most people. My former father-in-law thought I was mentally unstable because I am a diabetic. And, davidv39 you are right, no one pays much attention to Type 1s. I have been Type 1 for 35 years, being diagnosed at 25. Where I live right now (small town), I am one of 5 type 1s. This is a rather small town but, with a great hospital and choice of physicians. The first time I went to see a doctor he looked at me and said "no one here really knows what to do with a type 1 diabetic and, this was a young physician (35yrs old). Ever wonder what they are being told about us in med school? We type 1s need to stick together and go to Wash. DC if necessary to get the attention we need.

Right now I am struggling with not having insurance, not being old enough for Medicare and living in a state that does not provide me with any assistance. Anyone have any ideas?

I’m in agreement that more attention needs to be placed on type 1. I am a teacher and we have talked about raising awareness through a walk or something in our school district. I need to find out how to set something like that up for next November. My doctor’s office is really good about giving me samples of insulin. You should check with your endo. They get samples all the time. Mine just gave me 4 vials of humalog around the holidays.

I wish I had an endo. With no insurance I can’t afford one. I do get the insulin through a free medical clinic. Since I lost my job last month I have tons of time on my hands and plan on doing something to ge T1D more attention.

We are all going to die of something, and it is not always due to Diabetes! I always say, I could walk to the store and get hit by a car. Did my diabetes cause it? Nope! there is still so much confusion with this Diabetes. And I also agree, type 1 Diabetes needs more attention and correct information!