Hi everyone! Future pregnancy hopefully!

Hi everyone! My name is Mariah Campbell. I am 21 years old, my husband is in the military and we are stationed in California right now. I have type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed with it 3 years ago. My husband and I are planning our first pregnancy and shooting to start trying in the next couple months. I just got the Paradigm Minimed pump but havent started therapy on it yet. My A1C the last time I was at the doctor was 7.6 and I want to bring it down even further, it is so hard to wait when I want a baby so bad but in the long run with the pump will be better I think. I was just hoping to make friends with some other women who have diabetes and have had babies or are in a pregnancy now. I have cut out bread, pastas, rice, and mostly all starchy carbs and I was just wondering if anyone has any good snack ideas, I am having a hard time figuring out what to eat! lol I have this longing for a baby and I just want to do whatever it takes to get there, I'm sure many of you can relate! Hope to make some new friends on here soon! :)

Hi Maria! Welcome to juvenation. I'm 26 years old and have been diabetic since age 13. My husband and I just had our son in August and I'm also on the Paradigm. I've found it to be so helpful in maintaining a good A1c. Even when I think my sugars have been less controlled I end up with a good result. It's wonderful to have the assistance it provides especially now that my hands are busy with a little guy.  I went on the pump prior to conceiving and things its a good way to get a baseline read on your insulin needs before hormones throw things off. I know its hard to wait, but a month or 2 won't make a huge difference in the long run once you hold your baby in your arms.

As far as snacks go, I recommend lots of vegetables and fruits if you need a sweet treat. You can also snack on small portions of nuts (raw is better) to help hold off cravings and stay satiated. If you need carbohydrates, whole grain or brown rice is best. It's processed more slowly and you can work with your Diabetes Educator or Endo to figure out how best to use the Dual Wave function to work with the breakdown of sugars in conjunction with your metabolic needs. Be patient and feel good! 

Keep us posted! :)

Hi Mariah. My name is Ashley and I live in Scottsbluff, Nebraska. I am 23 and was diagnosed with type 1 8 years ago. I just became engaged and am finally starting to take my diabetes seriously. My desire to be a mother has me making some drastic changes. My last A1C was 11.2. I know.. terrible! I won't even consider going off birth control until I get it down. So I think you are doing awesome. That's good that you are getting on the pump. I am not on one now, but was a few years ago. I just joined this group and also hope to make some new friends. Happy New Year and best wishes to you.