High but invariable blood sugars

Hello,
What do you think of high but invariable blood sugars?
By this I mean if you keep blood sugar between 200 and 250 at all times with no great spiking at all times, will this harm your body if you eat well and lead an active lifestyle?

i work at a hospital and I have seen many type 2 diabetics with near normal blood sugars but unfortunately they are amputees with heart and kidney diseases. All the amputees I have seen are males. So are women more protected than men against long term complications?

This is really disappointing. I start to think that tight control might be more damaging.

Id work on getting your levels lower. You are almost where you need to be - you can do this. I dont think sex has anything to do with complications either, its more lifestyle factors. Maybe these people were drinkers? Heavy smokers? didnt have tight control when they were younger? you never know. Also, because type 2 happens because of lifestyle choices, these people are probably not very healthy in general.

250s are better than being 300+ all of the time, but why risk it? Lower your levels and you will feel better too :slight_smile: (i never used to feel sick if i was over 200- I do now). ,

Actually, women fare worse than males in terms of complications, possibly because of the extreme hormonal fluctuations we can experience on any given day and particularly around that time of the month, which can go on for a couple of weeks. The good news is your BG is stable, which means you just need to bring those levels down into the 100-130 range and you’ll feel and do so much better. I know you have seen some horror stories, but keep in mind that like you say, they have probably not managed their diabetes tightly for decades in the past, which is catching up to them now. Type 2’s are notorious for this because they can get by in the high 100’s or low 200’s all the time and not feel any different. You can turn this around. Please take the time to read about the DCCT trial that was done years ago, providing clear evidence that the closer to normal BG levels we can keep, it can prevent or at least delay complications. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_control_and_complications_trial

Keep in mind that managing type 2 diabetes can be HUGELY different from that of type 1. And @angivan is right: diabetes is more challenging to control for women. (Also, thank you, clustering of autoimmune conditions; you help so much. /sarcasmfont)

If you’re a brittle (or labile) diabetic, as I am, don’t beat yourself up that you have yet to achieve the tightest of tight control. Take each decision as it comes, and make the best one you can. Some days you’ll have many victories; other days, you’ll struggle to have even one. (Especially if you have other AI conditions on top of T1.)

But yes, the tighter control, the fewer complications and the less severe they are.