Highschool 504 plan suggestions

Hello all! Going through our middle school 504 plan for our now high school freshman! Any tips or suggestions for modifications or add-on?
Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Hello Victoria,
We just finished this process, and my son is in 8th grade. I’m not sure what type of insulin delivery you are using, but we have a Dexcom G6 and Tslim X2 pump. The main thing I made sure was on our 504 is my son can keep his cell phone at all times, including during State testing. It has to be either with him, or within a certain distance of him. I also added for this year that he can choose extra protein options for breakfast and lunch. Our school system limits the food choices students are allowed, so I through that in to help balance out the carbs/protein. I also included he can have extra bathroom breaks, water, and snacks when needed. I hope this helps and wish you the best!

2 Likes

@Victoria,

In addition to what @WarriorMom13 shared, include
[1] self-management
[2] extra time on tests for D management
[3] attendance allowance - NOTE: in another social media area, a parent was notified attendance was an issue even with a 504 plan. The school district stated 504 plans did not relieve the parents of complying with their state’s attendance laws. ACTION: Include something to the effect: (name of student) has a condition protected under the federal (USA) Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, offering protections and accommodations. It is expected any absences, tardy time, or leaving school early for the purpose of doctor visits, condition management, etc be expunged from attendance records and that no action be taken if attendance were to trigger local action.
[4] possession of items necessary for condition management shall be exempt from administrative searches, including but not limited to needles, syringes, and other items identified by the treating physician and custodial parent(s).
[5] the DMMP, as amended, shall be included by reference in (name)'s 504 Plan. Revisions to the DMMP shall not trigger a review of the 504 Plan, unless requested by (name) or custodial parent(s).

Hope this helps. There is a group on Facebook focused on 504 Plans with a library of documents.

2 Likes

Hi @987jaj . I’m not a parent, otherwise I might be familiar with it, but what is DMMP? Thank you.

1 Like

Diabetes (Diabetic) Medical Management Plan used in concert with the 504. Some districts want it all in one bundle making a fruit salad when it should really be two separate mutually supporting documents.

Good to know. Thank you for the info.

Thank you so much for this!

1 Like

This was very helpful. Thank you!

1 Like

I have some rather strong opinions on this topic.
My son was rather sensitive about his diabetes back when he was in high school. They would not allow him to discretely eat candy if he was low and would have to go to the nurse’s office to do so, which of course called attention to his diabetes and forced him to miss class. I hope a 504 would devise a better strategy for a not uncommon problem.

1 Like