Honeymoon Ending

I am still currently in my Honeymoon period even though I recieved my first diagnosis last October where they were afraid I would go into DKA. I guess my dieting and stress management has been helping because my A1C is down.

However, I feel constantly in fear that my honeymoon period will end and I won’t know what to do. Is it an abrupt process? Should I just keep carrying on as if the honeymoon period will last forever?

my doctor obviously didnt give me insulin or glucagon so I just want to be aware of what I could even do if I am in ketosis.

Hi @BobBelcher . This is an excellent question. Honeymoons do eventually come to an end and in this case your doctor should be guiding you on what to look for. I was 3 years old when diagnosed so I’ve been married to diabetes for decades; and as such a young a “child bride” I don’t recall details. I imagine you will see your numbers rising at least gradually, and perhaps spikes that you’re not used to, but I defer to forum members who can share task first hand experiences. I hope your doctor is willing to work with you to get a preemptive plan in order and start training you on using insulin even before you need it.
I highly recommend you check out the book Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. He has diabetes and works in the field so has a unique personal perspective that is particularly helpful.

1 Like

If you have T1 your honeymoon will end and you will need insulin. My honeymoon ended over 40 years ago and I’m still here, I just need insulin. Diet and exercise are great but it will not delay the end of honeymoon nor is there a diet or exercise plan that will make it so you don’t need insulin. So all you should do is keep testing. When you start to need insulin they’ll likely start you on lantus or other long lasting insulin and then likely add fast acting for meal time. It is unlikely that honeymoon will end abruptly. There’s a book “Think like a Pancreas” it contains all of the basics and is worth the price. Good luck.

As your “Honeymoon” causes you to feel anxious and you feel anyway near as miserable as I felt in my Diabetes Honeymoon, I hope you soon leave that period and return to a more satisfying live with good TypeOne Diabetes. Why do I say this ----
I was diagnosed with diabetes [in that century there was only one name for diabetes] as a mid-teen. Being a “healthy and active kid”, for about one to two years before I ended up in a hospital in full-blown acidosis poisoning and with a blood sugar testing 1,700, I would always reply to questions about my health as “feeling just fine”. Real denial. I was really happy with insulin injected into me, a rebirth into sunshine. I am thankful for those pigs and cows sacrificing their lives to help me live.

Did “honeymoon” end abruptly for me? Yes, in the two weeks before diagnosis I lost 20 - 25 pounds and my physical strength declined sharply.

You mention that your first diagnosis was 10 months ago; have you had another diagnosis confirming that you actually have Autoimmune diabetes? There are a couple of Classification 3 diabetes types that are sometimes confused with T1D.

As for glucagon it would be wise to have one or two on hand when you begin insulin therapy just in case you make a severe error and over calculate the amount of insulin you need and not able to eat food necessary to make a correction. Personally, I’ve purchased and then thrown out several glucagon kits expiration, and never used any. Having some handy may be a good safety measure, but for me, is a last resort.

PS re glucagon - they’re is now an inhaled version called Baqsimi. It’s much less intimidating for some people than mixing the solution and giving am infection. I consider Glucagon the treatment of last resort - it typically must be administered by someone else. Hopefully it will not come to that.

1 Like

Thank you this was really helpful. I personally find this stage of living in fear with no resources more frightening than just having the insulin and taking it regularly. I am at a stage where I starve and eat only when absolutely necessary because getting sugar in me is easier than my blood sugar shooting up without insulin.
Yes, my diagnosis was reconfirmed in March and I have spoken to my doctor once since then to double-check that I am in fact diabetic. He assures me that I am since my GAD65 was around 1600 (supposed to be around 5). I just find it hard to be at ease when I don’t know what I am doing. But I will be sure to buy Think Like a Pancreas since I have heard many reviews recommending it. I don’t mean to dump this all on you but I am terrified half to death.

2 Likes

Hi again. If you are starving yourself to avoid spikes in your numbers, your doctor needs to help you learn to manage so you can continue to enjoy life - including eating.
You say you are without resources - your doctor and their medical team should be one for you particularly at this juncture. If you do not have an endo who specializes in Type1 specifically you to find one. Ideally they will have you work with a diabetes educator, who has more time to spend with you than the physician typically does, and therefore can teach you what you need to know help you gradually become more comfortable dealing and living with diabetes. I’m not saying there is nothing to fear, particularly right now: but education can help to allay fears or at least make them more manageable.

1 Like

Bob, this, in my opinion, is no way to live, and it sounds as if this DEFINITELY is not what you want. Keep in mind, that your doctors should not be ruling and inflicting cruel punishment like this. You are “in charge”!, not your doctor or diabetes, and I cannot see any reason to deny or delay beeded insulin that would permit you to lead a natural and very close to normal life.

I’m not a licensed medical provider, so I’m offering only my thoughts AND relying on the information you have provided; your doctors may have information I don’t recall seeing and possibly have a reason particular to you.

1 Like

Hi @BobBelcher I was diagnosed 5 years ago in my late 40’s. For me the honeymoon period lasted about 10 months and it was not an abrupt end. I started out on a small amount of Lantus and then as I noticed my BG spiking higher and higher after meals I started Humalog for meals. During that first year my doctor just told me to watch it. But my experience is that the first year was a slow slide to requiring more insulin. However, we are all different so definitely keep an eye on it.

2 Likes

I hear your concerns and had similar fears when my son was first diagnosed. What we noticed was his need for insulin increased slightly each time he recovered from a cold or illness. So it was a gradual but stepped process not the tsunami I was fearing. Just enjoy the honeymoon while it lasts and use it to build your confidence.

The trigger for him was illness but his initial diagnosis was following a bout of Influenza B so it might not be relevant in your case.

1 Like