How do I aproach sons teacher

Hi.. This is my first time in this forum, My son was diagnosed three years ago at age five. Up to date we have had the most amazing people helping my son at his school. Untill recently...This year my son is in third grade and has always loved school now he struggles and crys in the morning and comes home upset saying he hates school becouse his teacher hates him. At first she was doing things like making him rush in the cafateria with lunch and acting annoyed with him but today he comes home and says  he told her he was low in the middle of a math test and she refused to let him go to office and test till he was finished. I am so angry at this moment I see my self going into her class tomorrow and stapling our 504 plan to her face! I know that wont help justin so what do I do!

oh my! I wish I could offer advise, but my daughter is only 6 weeks into this, and doesn't start school until this year. I can only ask that you seek first to understand. It's possible that his perceptions of her hating him is slightly off. It's probable that she doesn't understand the gravity of his situation. Ask if you can meet with her quickly and find out her understanding of Type 1, maybe you will have to do a little educating. If that doesn't work you may have to see if it's possible to move him into another class. You can't have him going low, no matter how bad she want's to make a point about a test. 

Welcome to Juvenation -- I'm glad you found us!

Sorry you and your son are going through this -- it sounds terrible. If meeting w/ the teacher doesn't help, I agree about meeting with the principal about getting his class changed. I'd start keeping track of what happens in written form as "proof"  for the principal and of course bring the 509 plan.

If this teacher is acting this way w/ D, how does she treat the kids w/ learning disabilities, etc, etc in her class? It's sad!

WOW!!

I am really sorry...First and foremost, we all know that this teacher is behaving poorly.  I am always so shocked to hear of this- our school nurse is like a member of our family and our school could not be more accomodating....

if your child has been at this school for several years, you know that you have staff/teachers who you can work with and have been a positive person in your son's life.  So you have a couple of options... you can email the teacher and cc the principal and the school nurse and ask for a conference based on your child's reports or you can march up there tomorrow and wait in the office until the teacher/principal/and nurse can hear your comments....

However you chose to handle this, at the close of the discussion, I would ask for a second meeting with the school team to put your child on a 504 plan.   Then if the teacher continues to treat your son in this unacceptable manner, you have Federal Law on your side.  

At the beginning of the school year - since our son started Kindergarten (he is now a 5th grader)- we have a big meeting with his teachers, PE coach, specials teachers, and nurse and lay the ground work... Everyone signs off on the plan and is unbelievably supportive.

Good Luck and know that you have the support of all of us!!  

I am sorry to hear your story too. I too have been so blessed by amazing teachers that have been so willing to help my son and so apologetic if they've made a mistake.

But I would suggest going to talk with the teacher today. I would start by telling her what your son told you, in a very matter of fact way and then asking for her side of the story. Try not to react emotionally or cut her off to point out where she violated the 504 plan, just hear her out. I would then (as calmly as possible) remind her that for your son, low BGs are critically dangerous to his health, he MUST get them treated right away as not doing so could cause him to pass out or have a seizure in her class. Which, you could add, would be must more disruptive to the class and the test than letting your son leave to go test.

Since it is a violation of the 504 plan, you should talk with the principal too. My approach would not be to make a huge deal out of it, and demand a new teacher right away, but that your son does seem to be having problems that he hasn't had in years prior. A principal's job is to deal with staff issues, so it is completely right that you should address it with him/her. You could ask what the next step is if there continues to violations of the 504 plan by this teacher.

Good luck!

Thank all of you for your support and advice it's nice to know there is support out there. Called the pricipal he is out to day so I spoke with the office staff whom I love dearly and they are very shocked and going to follow up with the teacher and pricipal. Still waiting on the district nurse to call back to help us out, she has allready had to reeducate this teacher on several other occassions for rushing justin in the lunch room. One nice thing is the office staff keep a log of every time justin comes down and test and there it is tuesday he was 400 in the am and 2hrs later he came down and was 92 im sure he felt like he was dropping when he told his teacher he needed to test and then wendsday he tested at 70 after his teacher made him wait till he was done with his test (wich im sure he didnt do well on since he reported his head hurt and he had that scared feeling). Well GOD works in mysterious ways Justin is home sick to day with a horrible cough so I wont be marching in her classroom flying off the handle today (probably a good thing) I will let those who care about justin help us work this out....Wish us luck

Just patiently try to work with this teacher.  If there is any way the school will allow, it would be great if your son could have testing supplies and glucose tablets in his desk. 

Test stress can easily make a kid go high or low.  As long as your son isn't taking advantage and making up diabetes problems to get out of a test, the teacher should be willing to make accomodation.

You will have to come to an understanding with this teacher and it may require a written plan. Your child has legal protections against this kind of treatment.

Thankfully people that suffered and walked this path before us did a lot of work that will help us newer folks. Get that 509 plan going. There is a copy of one in the Pink Panther book your pediatric endo probably gave you.

You need to go to her and ask her is what your son saying true. The tell her what can happen if a diabetic doesn't get immediate treatment for lows. Tell her that you will complain to the principal, guidance counselor, and even the superintendent if she denies him his right to diabetes supplies. Have your son start carrying around sugar (i.e. airheads, skittles) and if he fees low during a test or something he can just eat it. I do this in school all the time if I don't want to disrupt the class. If he doesn't feel comfortable doing this then just tell the teacher that if he is denied access to his equipment that you can/will take legal action against her.

[quote user="jennibop"]

Hi.. This is my first time in this forum, My son was diagnosed three years ago at age five. Up to date we have had the most amazing people helping my son at his school. Untill recently...This year my son is in third grade and has always loved school now he struggles and crys in the morning and comes home upset saying he hates school becouse his teacher hates him. At first she was doing things like making him rush in the cafateria with lunch and acting annoyed with him but today he comes home and says  he told her he was low in the middle of a math test and she refused to let him go to office and test till he was finished. I am so angry at this moment I see my self going into her class tomorrow and stapling our 504 plan to her face! I know that wont help justin so what do I do!

[/quote]

Why does he have to go to the office to test?  By law we as Diabetics (and anyother disability) are allowed to do what ever is necessary to take care of ourselves whereever... and whenever... Your sons teacher has NO LEGAL GROUNDS to prevent him from testing..... and i would advise you to personally write and hand deliver (silently) a letter reminding his teacher that if he is prevented from testing on time he COULD FALL OVER DEAD IN HER CLASSROOM and that if they will not allow him to test you will promptly sue the teacher for attempted murder....

I dealt with a principal throwing my supplies away and trying to have me arrested for having drugs at school once... i am a fervent supporter of making the extreme dangers known to problems like yours and then work on making them more friendly to the situation... i think it is better to have them scared rather than uncaring... and uninformed...

[quote user="jennibop"]

[/quote]

Since your son has a 504 preventing him from testing is a federal violation and lawyers will line up for lawsuits as it is.... My dad who is a teacher... is of the mind to sue right now.... on that sort of thing because of the dangers inherent with that teachers actions...    if you need any more helf from someone who has dealt with this many times over.... please dont hesitate to contact me...  i will not hesitate to bring in national news to support your son.... i will not allow a uncaring burned out teacher to make your son feel like diabeties is a bad thing and further damage his self esteem.... I had/have enough trouble dealing with my own fears.... i know he does to... that teacher does not deserve the PRIVELIDGE of teaching your brave son....

As a teacher and a type 1 diabetic myself, this really makes me angry!!!  You should definitely request a meeting with the teacher, guidance counselor, nurse, and principal about the 504 plan.  I cannot believe a teacher would do this knowing what is in the 504 plan.  Has the teacher received any training/information about type 1 diabetes?  I cannot believe that any teacher would do this..........definitely needs to be addressed!!  Sorry that your son and you had to have this happen.  It is definitely uncalled for and unacceptable!  Good Luck....keep us posted!