How do you feel about diabetes?

I just want to know some good things you feel about diabetes and some bad.

For me I think it makes me more responsible but it also tends to push people away from me. I mean there is more but those are kind of my main reasons.

This is from a parents point of view...I am happy that it is a manageable disease and with each day that passes I feel we are that much closer to a cure.  I am sad that she has to live with this for the rest of her life, misses out on some things like she was not invited to a birthday party because the parents thought she would not have any fun because they thought she cannot have cake and may my biggest fear is that she will have complications from it down the road. 

-Meg (Emmies mom, diagnosed 10/29/09 at age 4)

at this point, i feel fairly neutral towards it. i've had it long enough it seems more second nature to me, where my own diabetes isn't constantly on the forefront of my mind. of course, i have my frustrating moments with BGs and insulin pumps, but for the most part i don't always think about it.

i do recognize that i would be in a completely different career field if i didn't have diabetes. currently, i'm interning to become a dietitian with my ultimate goal of become a diabetes educator. i wouldn't have the passion for the subject if it wasn't for my own diagnosis. elementary education was my first choice, and i went all the way through student teaching and obtaining my teaching license before changing courses.

i like who i am and i like what i do. diabetes falls in there somewhere, but i'm just not quite sure where :o)

[quote user="Meg"]

This is from a parents point of view...I am happy that it is a manageable disease and with each day that passes I feel we are that much closer to a cure.  I am sad that she has to live with this for the rest of her life, misses out on some things like she was not invited to a birthday party because the parents thought she would not have any fun because they thought she cannot have cake and may my biggest fear is that she will have complications from it down the road. 

-Meg (Emmies mom, diagnosed 10/29/09 at age 4)

[/quote]

hi Meg, I can't understand how parents would ever leave out a child for a party because of d.This is the second time I have read this on Juv.I hope your little one was young enough not to know she missed the party.Maybe when she has a party,everyone can come and have the best time ever :)

[quote user="andie_fall4you"]

For me I think it makes me more responsible but it also tends to push people away from me. I mean there is more but those are kind of my main reasons.

[/quote]

hi andie,I think d has made my daughter more responsible too.Seems to have made her a little more thoughtful of others feelings too :)

[quote user="andie_fall4you"]

[/quote]

Andie,

I feel like the pushing people away from you thing just has to do with your age. No offense, but teens do and say stupid stuff...I wasn't there too long ago myself and yeah, don't sweat it. You have plenty of time to find friends who will accept you as a whole person (diabetes included) and not worry about petty s***.

Personally, I'm glad I have it. I have a reason to stay healthy...I also have a great excuse to say no to foods that I don't want to eat if I want to cite that I don't have enough insulin or it just "wouldn't be good" if I ate it.

Sort of like the line from the Barenaked Ladies song "One Week," I'm the kind of guy who laughs at a funeral. I / You / We need to be able to find the good, the humor in our situations. Even if they aren't very humorous. I have to hold back on here because some of the threads/comments/questions that get posted make me want to jump into cynical/snarky mode, but that would probably offend people with non-dry senses of humor.

That tangent aside, these are the cards we've been dealt and we have to play 'em. Ante up and make the best out of the situation :)

This is hard for me to explain. I would say that I despise T1D, that I hate fighting with it everyday to keep my son happy and healthy, but I can't say that definitively. It is a part of my son and  I don't hate any part of him. I wish I didn't have to deal with it, but I don't mind dealing with it, again because it's a part of my son. I have days when I cry for him and want the T1D to just leave him alone, I wish he didn't feel bad from it so often, but that's not our reality, not yet. So mostly I would say I accept it. I'm teaching my son to understand it so that, hopefully, he will accept it and never feel it's burden. He's only 3 years old and I already wonder if he would be different today if he didn't have T1D. If it has had any part of shaping the little boy he has become it isn't negative, there isn't anything negative about my son.

Oh I definitely know what you mean about people sometimes always taking everything seriously. And I didn't mean that it was because of teenage things I mean I haven't been invited to parties and stuff since one time my friend had one and I had a low.  People were freaking out thinking I was dying so no one has invited me to a party since. And sometimes people have been scared what might happen if something bad happened to me. They don't know what to do.  They are just kind of scared of situations that relate to my diabetes.  Thats what I mean.But then again I do think your right with the teenage sitation.  Teenagers are cruel:)

Dealing with diabetes every day of your life gives you extra will power to complete things I think.

Maybe my mind set is different from most but when I see a high blood sugar I become concerned and I will do whatever it takes, dropping everything I have planned, to take care of it because my health is very important to me.  There are times where I think there is pressure to say I'll wait a little bit longer to take care of it but I lived with a1cs in the 8s and 9s for most of my diabetic life and I can't have that back to redo so I put diabetes first.  In no way does diabetes get in the way of me doing what I want, I believe it has given me extra will power when I am completely spent to do things. I wish I could explain it better than that.

[quote user="Trish"]

This is hard for me to explain. I would say that I despise T1D, that I hate fighting with it everyday to keep my son happy and healthy, but I can't say that definitively. It is a part of my son and  I don't hate any part of him. I wish I didn't have to deal with it, but I don't mind dealing with it, again because it's a part of my son. I have days when I cry for him and want the T1D to just leave him alone, I wish he didn't feel bad from it so often, but that's not our reality, not yet. So mostly I would say I accept it. I'm teaching my son to understand it so that, hopefully, he will accept it and never feel it's burden. He's only 3 years old and I already wonder if he would be different today if he didn't have T1D. If it has had any part of shaping the little boy he has become it isn't negative, there isn't anything negative about my son.

[/quote]

Trish I feel the same way. We are mommies we want to kiss booboo and make it all better. We cant with D and well it sucks to realize we do not really have any control over this and well so many other things we dont want hurting our kids.

[quote user="C"]

at this point, i feel fairly neutral towards it. i've had it long enough it seems more second nature to me, where my own diabetes isn't constantly on the forefront of my mind. of course, i have my frustrating moments with BGs and insulin pumps, but for the most part i don't always think about it.

[/quote]

same here. minus the pump part ;)