How low is no numbers registering?

I’m curious if anyone knows how low a reading is on a DexCom G6 when it alerts with a reading of low with no numbers? I’ve been going through another rollercoaster ride the last few days even with lowering my basal and bolus doses daily. Little monster is kicking my butt.

If I remember correctly it’s under 40 but could be wrong on that. So sorry you’re on a low roller coaster! Thats never fun. Hopefully it turns around for you soon.

Thank you. It’s getting on my nerves. My CGM is going bazerk alerting lows since 4:00 this morning and throughout today I haven’t been above 125. Now it’s alerting at 50 and I’ve eaten and drank everything in sight. Uuuuuugh. Yesterday was the same pattern.

Yikes. Hang in there, Bill! Have you reached out to your medical team for help yet, or have you been too busy pounding carbs? I know you said you’ve been dialing everything back, but at some point, it’s wise to get an assist from the paid professionals.

Hello,
Such a coincidence. My sister was experiencing the same thing with her g6 just last night. It was saying her glucose was low but wasn’t displaying a number. It was not true because she wasn’t low when she finger checked. So when I went to calibrate her receiver it said she was reading 39. Yikes. So I agree with the other response. If your g6 reads low with no number, your glucose is probably under 40. Anyways, I hope things turn out for you soon!

1 Like

To expand on what Alexa said, regardless of Dexcom specs, if you are showing that low you should do a finger stick. Technology isn’t perfect yet, especially when extremely high or low. Good luck!

2 Likes

completely agree with @mikefarley , dex reads low to start with, AND compression lows are common while sleeping, so a good 'ol finger stick is needed… actually more like required, once in a while.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your advise. I have to admit that I had let my glucometer strips run out and had not refilled my RX due to being spoiled by my CGM. Then today when I called to refill my strip RX it was rejected because I now have a CGM and they won’t pay for 2 methods of BGL systems. Soooo, I had to pay out of pocket for a new bottle. Today and last night my BGL’s have gone up to 280 after lowering my basal dose to combat the lows and now I’m battling highs. Another day in paradise.

Which insurance is refusing to cover test strips along with a CGM? That’s nuts. Even Dexcom says if your symptoms don’t match your CGM, check with a fingerstick.

Any word from your medical team on dosing suggestions? I’m sorry you’re still riding the rollercoaster!

1 Like

It’s a Medicare supplement insurance. When I wanted to go on Freestyle II I had my doctor send the perscription to my pharmacy. I went to get the system. When they rang it up the insurance only paid $5.00 on the monitor and pennies on each sensor. I asked why they were only paying those small amounts and was told I could use finger pricks and that was good enough. Since then I have fought to get my DexCom but the copays still cause budget issues. That’s why I buy my Novolin insulin at Walmart. When I had my doctor send perscriptions for it to Walmart, I was told that the copay was $40.00 for each vial, but I could buy it over the counter without a perscription for approx. $25.00 per vial. Go figure. We’re conversing about dosage changes. Had to bolus last night with a 260 BGL, took 5 units R went down to 52 this morning.

OK, I found out what the problem was with insurance not wanting to refill my test strips. It was a communication issue. My original perscription for strips was written for 5 finger prick tests a day. They said I shouldn’t need that many finger pricks a day since being on a CGM and they agreed to a new perscription to be used for back up, calibration and comparison reasons, so all is good now.

2 Likes