How many minutes a day do you spend thinking about diabetes?

When I originally thought of this question, several days ago, I thought my answer might be just a few minutes, from the time around whenever I tested my sugar, or gave a bolus, or checked for ketones.  But the next few days I really concentrated and tried to recognize when I was thinking about diabetes, not just my sugar levels, but also about the future of treatments, and how I would be affected at school, going on different websites like this one, or anything else, and I came to the conclusion that diabetes is probably the biggest thing and is on my mind most of the day, and I've just gotten used to it as always there.

Then I came to a different conclusion, that this constant thinking and subsequent worrying is what is really taxing on me, my normal life is just constantly thinking about this disease.  Thinking all day about how I can control my health, on a problem which wasn't my fault, certainly couldn't be good in any form.

Then I realized diabetes has not limited my thinking capacity nor train of thought, but rather given it a direction, a purpose on which to place my thoughts, dreams, and what I learn.  If I can relate what I perceive around me to my diabetes, I will critically analyze and remember it more, and that is always a plus.

So, just a thought I had.

i try not to think about diabetes all that often. i think about it when i check (or need to check) my bg, when i'm feeling 'funny', or when it's time to eat. for me, my area of interest (as in my career) is in diabetes, so throughout the day diabetes is always on my mind, however, it's not usually my own. because i've had it so long, i'm pretty good at shoving it to the back of my mind and not concentrating on it.

i can't put it into minutes. but i would definitely say d does not consume my thoughts or actions. out of a 24 hour day, i would guess about 3 hours are spent on my own diabetes. it's a little hard to separate a patient's d and my own at times. i don't want it to consume me, so i work hard at not letting it.

I'm not so sure. Maybe like 20 probably less I don't think too much anyway lol

Good question,I think on our regular days we both do what needs to be done and go on with our lives.There are so many things to do in the day that can be positive and fun-we can do the d stuff and move on.I will ask my daughter this question-she likes to stay busy with her teen life,haha :)

Hmmm.... probably over an hour, maybe a couple per day.   I'm really only CONCERNED with diabetes probably 20 minutes a day, with checking, and shooting up.  But I probably think about it far more than that, and time spent on this website would obviously add to that time spent.

Good question.  I think it is always on my mind.  I am very interested in diabetes.  Diabetes is also my profession, so it is inescapable.

Good question.  I think it is always on my mind.  I am very interested in diabetes.  Diabetes is also my profession, so it is inescapable.

A lot normally or up until yesterday. I dream about it often too. So it seems its on my mind more often than not. Tho it is starting to get routine I am always wondering what her numbers are or what I need to do ect.

As the mother of an 8 year old girl with diabetes, I feel like I think about it all the time. We are still new to this, so maybe in a few months we'll think about it less, but I don't think so.  We've read so much about the disease and have talked with many people, everyone says that it gets easier, but I don't see how. 

I think you are right about the constant thinking and worrying that is taxing to the soul.  That is exactly it.  I sat down the other day and for the first time since the diagnosis, wrote about how I feel about all of it.  My husband is a writer and blogs about this nearly every day, but I am a school teacher and don't normally write anything other than lesson plans.  It is the thinking and the worrying, before the checking of the glucose, after the beep of the monitor, before the dosing, after the dosing (did I do it correctly), middle of the night checks and everything in between. 

You are so eloquent for a young person.  I teach high school and rarely come across young people with such poise and grace.  I send you my best wishes for dealing with the disease. 

how many minutes are in a day?

I test 7-10 times a day and take shots 4 or so times so............15 minutes a day? Add a few more minutes if things go low or once a week if I eat out.  Basically, I don't think about it.  That's part of the reason I'm not on a pump.  Having a tube in me 24/7 would mean I would probably be thinking about it 24/7.  Right now, when I'm not doing the above I feel perfectly normal.  It doesn't define me  and my life consists of many components, one of which is diabetes but I try and keep it as small a part as possible.  

It's always somewhere in my conscious (or subconscious) mind, but I'm not sure about the exact time I spend directly thinking about it.  I like what you said about it shaping dreams - I can relate to that because I became interested in medicine (endocrinology and research) because of my experiences first-hand with diabetes.  When I'm not thinking about my blood sugar at a particular moment, or bolusing, etc., I don't mind and sometimes enjoy my thoughts regarding diabetes because they can drive me to succeed and help others. 

Average day-3 minutes maybe, if I see something on here that is of particular interest it could be anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes.  Other than having a particularly bad diabetes day, I just don't think about it anymore.

It is always on my mind.  If not in the forefront, than in the back of my mind.  I eat a lot during the day, so I'm always thinking about how much I need to bolus, did I bolus for my last meal correctly, and (if I'm going to do any physical activity) am I sure I have snacks in case I go low.  I also think about future treatments, I'm reading up on here, etc.

I really like your outlook, Run D-Link.  I agree that my diabetes has opened up my mind and helped to to think more critically and analytically at other areas because I'm often thinking about how my diabetes fits into things (or how I fit things in with diabetes).  And it's definitely made me more concious of my overall general health - even things that aren't directly diabetes related.  And that is definitely a positive thing.

I think this is a great question Run. I have to admit that on "good" days I rarely think about it. I just do what I have to do and move on like others have mentioned. Then there are "bad" days where I can dwell in it for hours and that just make the "bad" day worse.

It's always on my mind, but I hardly ever concentrate on it. I could go crazy if I let it consume my thoughts. It's just a part of Brandan, a part of caring for him and I don't let it control us.

Love your response:)

i dont concentrate on it either.. but the first thing i am in the morning is a diabetic, before anything else. its something i am always aware of and HAVE to think about condsidering injections, testing, every bit of food i eat ... i feel like considering even when im not thinking about it, im still thinking about it.. im going to say 24 hours a day lol

[quote user="Evamarie"]

i dont concentrate on it either.. but the first thing i am in the morning is a diabetic, before anything else. its something i am always aware of and HAVE to think about condsidering injections, testing, every bit of food i eat ... i feel like considering even when im not thinking about it, im still thinking about it.. im going to say 24 hours a day lol

[/quote]

So you're saying that there's NOTHING that you do that takes your mind completely off diabetes?

yes there are def a few things ... the 24 was an exaggeration :)