Probably 90% of the time that I have the need/desire to reveal to some that I have diabetes they assume its type 2. The other 10% have known someone with type 1, and it's always nice when I don't have to explain the difference and they can tell me their stories.
I have a problem with people being uneducated about diabetes, so I take every type 2 accusation as an education opportunity, though most of the time even after explaining the vast physiological differences between the two types they still tell me about their grandparent and their diet and exercise plan.
Being in California, a very liberal state where alot of medical research is going on you'd think the general populous would know more. I blame the media, mainly weight loss advertisements, for brain washing people into only seeing one form of diabetes.
p.s. I think Nick Jonas is doing a fantastic job bringing the spotlight to type 1 diabetes.