How to check a 1-yr-old's blood sugar?

My son is not diabetic, but I am.  If I were to ever suspect something was up, and I wanted to check his blood sugar, how do I do this?  Can I use his finger?  When he was a baby, the hospital used his heel but at what age is the finger okay?

~TIA

My son was diagnosed at 16 months.  We were taught to check using his fingers or toes.  We use the edges not the middle.  His skins is still "thin" so it doesn't take a high lance #.  We used a 1 or 2 on his fingers & a 3 or 4 on his toes.  

Hope that helps & I hope you never have to worry about it with your baby!

Debbi 

We do the same as Debbie.  Ayden was diagnosed at 19 months.  You could also use a urine strip.  We put cotton balls in his diaper and squeeze urine onto the strip to test keytones, but it will also show if there is sugar in the urine.

My son was diagnosed 8 months ago at 18 months old and we use his fingers and toes on the side.  Our pricker is measured in 1/2 increments and we still use that for fingers, but 3 or 4 for toes.  Make sure fingers are warm so he bleeds well.

Why are you checking, if I may?  Does he show signs?

Cheers,

Ryan

[quote user="BlakeT1"]

My son was diagnosed 8 months ago at 18 months old and we use his fingers and toes on the side.  Our pricker is measured in 1/2 increments and we still use that for fingers, but 3 or 4 for toes.  Make sure fingers are warm so he bleeds well.

Why are you checking, if I may?  Does he show signs?

[/quote]

Thanks for the responses.  No, I haven't checked and he's not showing signs.  I was just wondering. 

I don't have a child w/T1D, just 40 years of first hand experience.

Does anyone use the earlobe? It is a good source of blood for testing. but still thin skin.

[quote user="sjwprod"]

Does anyone use the earlobe? It is a good source of blood for testing. but still thin skin.

[/quote]

When my son was first diagnosed the earlobe was mentioned ONCE. I shuttered at the thought and quickly dismissed it. (Don't really know why, I have several ear piercings.)

I was told it's more common to use an infant's toes, and my son was 12 months old when diagnosed, but once we got home neither of us were comfortable with using his toes. His hands are kinda on the big side anyway, always have been. I checked my youngest one time, just paranoid, when he was about 15 months old and I used his toes.