How to get on track and stay on track

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to get back on track with my diabetes care. I have been slacking in caring for myself due to multiple things. Between work, family, and just being plain old lazy on my part, I have fallen way off of the wagon for lack of better terms. I am looking for some ways that you guys use to help you stay on track. I have a minimed pump with a CGM. I try and use the CGM as much as possible, however I keep telling myself I will put in the sensor in the morning when it is the better time for me, I usually end up not putting it in due to a lack of time in the morning or other reasons. It comes down to the same thing with checking my blood sugar. Some of the things that stop me from checking it are I know it is going to be high probably to start off, so it is almost as if I put my head in the sand and just kind of ignore it. Anyways, if you guys could throw me some ideas as to what has worked for you to keep/get back on track that would be greatly welcomed. 

Hi Josh,

It can be hard in sticking to a diabetes plan when life gets hectic! There have definitely been times when I get up in the morning and don't really feel like checking my sugar and taking insulin.  I think "I've got to be out of here by 9:00! I really don't feel like taking yet another needle!"  Of course, having said that, I also know I will feel horrible and run down later if I don't check my BS and take a shot. Do you have a friend or family member who can help you motivated and on track? Sometimes that helps. Or perhaps you might consider talking to a counselor?

Also, make sure you are taking at least 5-10 minutes of your day to relax and do an activity you enjoy.

Below is a link to a great article on ways to beat diabetes burnout.

www.joslin.org/.../avoid_diabetes_burnout.html

Hey Josh,

I used to be horrible about staying on track myself, the only reason I am on one right now is because I was pregnant for 9 months and really had to stick to a schedule. I just had the baby in November.

Having a set schedule and eating the same types of things, and really forcing myself to stick to it is what is helping post baby, I was off the wagon for a month and wanted to get back on track again. So, I went back to my old pregnancy schedule of checking every two hours from the first blood sugar check in the morning.  I have the Minimed pump also and what i do is put the two hour reminder in it so it will beep or vibrate at two hours from the last blood sugar reading. Try to set a time schedule that works for you. When I was pregnant it was easier for me to wake up later, so my checking schedule would start around 11ish. Now, it starts at 630-7am and I work off the baby from when he wakes up.

Now, if you know you have to put in a sensor in the morning, it is really you having to force your mind to do it. Maybe a better option for you to put a new sensor would be when you do a set change for the pump. This way you kill two birds with one stone, you aren't going to skip putting insulin in your pump right? Makes sense to me!

Another thing that helps me is I downloaded the myfitnesspal app on my phone to log all of my food, you can also track on their website myfitnesspal.com if you dont have that capability. Writing down everything has also helped because I am able to just press a button and send everything to my doctor on a weekly basis. My endo is really good and will write me if i havent sent in any sugar or carelink logs. In a month I went from having blood sugars stuck in the 200-300s to 100-130s, just by using these simple methods. Keeping in contact with your doctor is key to getting your numbers better. I am the most motivated I have been in years!

Also, having your family there to support you and help remind you to check or bolus is a good way to help also. When I was pregnant my husband would do my night and first morning finger stick before he left for work. It took a huge burden off me.

Anyway, hope some of this helps! Good luck!!

Josh, I know what you mean.  I was trying as hard as I could to keep my numbers down and watch what I was eating etc and still because I wasn't on top of it all the time my A1c went up to 9.0.  I was so upset because I was doing everything that I thought was right.  My doctor up'd my insulin during the afternoon into the evening and then I just kept going too low below 50's and I gained more weight because of the extra insulin.  For me I finally got to the point that I said enough already.  My sister-in-law didn't take care of her diabetes and she has now passed on (she was only 50) due to complications and losing her leg.  For me I had to find a motivation.  My daughter.  When I had her she was only 3 lbs and she fought like hell and she is now a healthy 15 yr old young lady.  I want to see her graduate HS, get married, have kids herself.  I can't see that if I'm not here.  Now it's my turn to fight.  I am now eating no carbs until I can get to the weight I want to be at, it's helping my blood sugars, I'm losing weight and I feel good.  I'm setting my reminder on my Omnipod to check my sugars an hour after I eat and I've just order the Dexcon glucose monitoring system to keep me in line.  Find your motivation, talk to your family and ask them to help you stay on track.  You can do this.

Don't see your meter as a judge.  It's just a tool that tells you to take some more insulin or eat glucose.  

It helps me to have multiple meters so I can easily test wherever I am.  One with me, one in my desk at work, one by my bedside.  

Have you tried one of the new Bayer meters that communicates results directly to your pump?  Minimed is giving them out like candy right now and will send you one for free.  Because Minimed pumps let you input info from multiple sources, I'm hoping they will send me a couple extra meters and I can sync them all to my pump.  Let you know if that works or not.

I try to avoid any type of site change in the morning because it's impossible with trying to get me and  my family out the door to school and work.  I know there are best practices for managing diabetes, but we all have real life demands.  Be realistic about what you can do and when you can do it.  And don't feel guity about it.  

Take care.    -Jenna

Great advice Jenna !

Josh the one thing that has kept me on track my entire life has been the knowledge and fear of the complications that can result from not taking care of my diabetes.  You can make every excuse in the book to not do what is right for your diabetes care, but complications hear no excuses and will deliver themselves upon you without hesitation.  If you place any value upon having vision in both your eyes, having both feet and all toes intact, and not being subject to weekly dialysis because your kidneys have failed, that is about all the incentive anyone should need.  It certainly has worked for me.

Just remember that when complications set in, there is no amount of "living right" that will take those complications away.  No one can do it for you - you have to do it for yourself.