Husband anger

My husband has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and started his multiple times a day injections. He is so angry. Yelling. Outbursts. Stony silence. Death glares. So much so that I don’t know how long I can deal with it. We have four kids all together. While he seems to do this only when he is alone with me and not when the kids are around. What might I be unintentionally doing to cause this? I am willing to change. Talking to him just makes him angrier.

He’s mad at life because his world suddenly crumbled with the diabetes diagnosis. It’s something most of us go through at one time or another.

As the spouse of a diabetic you need to set boundaries for how he treats you. It’s not his fault that he has diabetes, but that doesn’t mean that he gets to be inappropriate with you. He’s allowed to be angry, but needs to find a way to deal with it or get counseling.

There are a lot of good books on learning to deal with a chronic disease and managing anger. If you google “anger and diabetes” you’ll also find a lot of information.

I’m sorry you’re going through this. Setting appropriate boundaries will help him to get back to a better place and deal with his new life. Diabetes is not something any of us would choose, but it’s not the end of the world. You all are going to be ok.