Hypoglycemia Near Impossible?

I am very grateful for never having a low in months of being T1, but I’m curious as to why it seems impossible for my BG to go low. It can go down to 90 and raise back up on its own, it’s weird; however, I do immensely enjoy it! I’m curious as to if anyone has an explanation or has had something similar happen to them. Some things that may help are tat I’ve only been T1 since December (that’s when I got diagnosed) and that I’m still very much in honeymoon phase, I also keep very good control of my BG, I’ve only had one high when I was sick (above 300, I go over 200 after each meal but it comes back down).

If you’re still in the honeymoon phase (yay for you- I never had a honeymoon phase!) then maybe it’s possible your panc is still able to signal your liver to release extra sugar to avert lows…. Lots of people experience a “dawn phenomenon” where the liver releases sugar and their BG rises. I’d do the research but I bet you’d love to do it yourself.

1 Like

Landen @REESEScups07, it is refrehing to hear “a complaint” like yours; rather than what I hear more often like “I can never get my BG below 200” or “my BG drops so suddenly I end up in ER”.

If I had your lab results at hand it is possible that I may an “excuse” for your BG not dropping lower - but I presume that your medical team has a better explanation. One possibility is that your autoimmune system didn’t do a complete job in destroying your body’ ability ability to produce viable beta-cells and that your beta-cells continue to produce Amalyn - the “other” hormone.

3 Likes

@REESEScups07 even for me (T1 40+ years) my liver dumps sugar when I get low and so I see (on a CGM) a dropping blood sugar level out at about 70 mg/dl (about 50% of the time) . For many Type 1’s the liver sugar control is compromised too and, from what I’ve read and heard, it is much harder, in general, to control blood sugar. If I am being too aggressive with insulin then I can get into the 40’s pretty easy… good luck.

Are you sure you are a T1D? You body sounds like it’s not really sure because it’s acting like maybe borderline. Do you use a pump or insulin shots? Not sure if you can do this but a C-peptide blood test is what I had to have when I started Medicare. I have used a pump for 30 years and I obviously knew my body was producing zero insulin but they wanted the test which I had never had. If it’s below .05 ng/mL you qualify. Well mine was .00002!!

Gee Larry @808IUFan, your c-Peptide is high, compared to mine. At 5-year intervals, Medicare has insisted that I have mine tested - Medicare apparently believes that T1D can be cured. Both times results came from the lab with >0.00% meaning, as the endo suggested, that the lab couldn’t find any.

1 Like

Wow I guess my lab had more decimal places than yours!!! LOL

1 Like

I’m definitely T1D, I have all the lab results from when I was hospitalized, and I have had episodes of very stubborn hyperglycemia, and borderline hypoglycemia, when I was hospitalized mine was 0.7, which according to Vanderbilt is the lowest you can be while still being technically healthy; however, my A1C was 14.6% I believe, and my C-Peptide, they said was still dropping, as they theorize I’m in honeymoon, which they can unfortunately not test for. When tested for antibodies they said, “Your islet cells are healthy but you have two of the three antibodies required to be a type one diabetic.” Unfortunately, as much as I wish the lab results were wrong, I am Type One. I remember specifically one time my Lantus needle broke and my dad still trying to inject, just to find out I didn’t get any Lantus, we asked my hospital and they said that it was normal for my blood sugar to have stubborn highs for three days after until the Lantus could start consistently working again, I don’t really understand why it’s three days, but there is so many mysteries with this disease that come with it, haha. I don’t mean to insult you, your intellect, nor your judgement, simply stating that unfortunately I am in the club of sugar and shots, lol. I will say however, it’s likely that I won’t just be hyperglycemic forever, and just like the rest of you be able to experience the joy of juice! (At the cost of my blood glucose, haha) I just think that maybe I’m not fully there yet, I don’t know if you’ve heard about T1 having stages to it, I didn’t until recent. But it’s really interesting and I don’t know if we caught it early or what happened. Thanks for your response as it did make me question some things of how T1 works, which as some on the forum may have noticed, I really do enjoy having an excuse to research further than I would have thought to. Thanks for that, sorry if my response sounded condensing or rude (that wasn’t my intention), and happy hunting.

Sounds like you may have some insulin

Landen @REESEScups07, Larry @808IUFan, there are people who have lived with diabetes can at times produce small amounts of insulin [even when life with diabetes is never a “honeymoon”]. Results of this study are among the many reports published by the Joslin Medalists.

Contrary to inference that Joslin Medalists is to have a big chunck of metal to wear around one’s neck, the purpose was to find a large group of people living for a long time [50+ years] who would volunteer living bodies to be poked, prodded, jabbed, examined, etc. for three days by teams of researchers to try to figure out why we are still alive; the study is closed, but volumes have been published and incorporated in treatment protocol. Prior to selection for in-person study, we filled out a very long survey - took me a couple of days.

@808IUFan @REESEScups07 I’m in this game a long time. 44 years T1 this fall. Every once in a while I need less insulin and my sugar hangs out at 70-80 mg/dl for long periods of time. Last time it happened I didn’t need meal insulin (bolus) for 3 days. The only explanation is I was making insulin for a little while. Then of course it goes back to my normal blood sugar response to carbs. It usually coincides with some kind of mild cold. Just like honeymoon, it’s unpredictable and a bit of a pain, compared to always off or always on. Just my experience here. I’m sure it doesn’t happen to everyone. :shamrock:

I’ve never heard of that happening before- sounds interesting from the medical side and like a huge pain practically! Especially if you’re already sick or something.

I’ve had T1D for 3 years now and my body is still producing a bit of insulin- I think my last c-peptide levels were around .4 and as landen already mentioned, lowest “normal” level is .7
I do use the normal amount of insulin for my age/BMI, I’ve never had antibodies and when I was diagnosed I wasn’t in DKA, even though my BG was 789 and A1c too high to read. Genetic testing confirmed that I don’t have MODY. I wish there was more research on us mystery diabetics.

Enjoy the time that you don’t have to panic if you leave the house without snacks + extra snacks + some extra food stuffed in your car/jacket pocket for a low! You’ll be chugging juice at 2 am for the rest of your life - It’s not as thrilling as it sounds - until some genius finds a cure!

But I get the missing juice part :slight_smile:

Medicare has never requested that I repeat my C-peptide test. I use traditional parts A, B and a supplement. I am surprised you have had to repeat your testing. That would be quite a waste of testing, since the C-peptide level will never increase. Strange. Maybe they will request it at some time in the near future.

1 Like