I hate diabetes

Diabetes is retarded. Whats the worst thing about Diabetes to you?

The part I hate is how limited I am and how I have to take shots and eat right or people will look at me like im drunk and ill die.

i know seriosly i mean its not like we cant have a brownie or something on occasion, just not like everday. ya shots is the pits, i am was on an insulin pump (like five or six yrs) but then just recently my blood sugars skyrocketed to the 400s so the dr's think its scar tissue :-( said i didnt rotate good enough but honestly i didnt know where else they wanted me to put the stupid needles at because i'm small and i just didnt have a whole lot of places to go. AHHH its just so frustrating but now i'm on shots and already my arms and legs are bruising up. gosh sometimes i get so frustrated.

I hate it when you go to a restraunt and your sitting at the table like in the middle of the room really close to the tables around you and when someone tells you to check your sugar everyone stops eating and it gets really quiet and they stare at you for like ever.

I hate diabetes also because people treat you so much differently. I mean yeah I have a disease but it's not like I'm gonna drop dead or anything!

i know what you mean ,i was on the pump ,but,  i got bumps and bruises so i have to take a break.now i have 2 take shots twice every day

that happens 2 me all the time when im in class or something

Diabetes really shouldn't limit you for anything!

We all have our down days, don't get me wrong, but I promise, it'll be okay,

the worst thing to me is the fact that I have to poke myself so much!

I hate diabetes because I can't eat everything like a normal person. I have to take shots unlike a normal person. I have to check my sugar unlike a normal person. I wish I had my old life back. I want to be a normal person again! I know I'm not the only one but I feel like I am sometimes! It just sucks!

~Brittany~

I guess today is one of those days where I'm like mad at the world. lol.

brittnay-

everyone has those days..... i still get them after havin diabetes most my life... i wish i could eat all i want cuz i cant stop eating.. but you also have to know that we mature a lot quicker than ppl w/o diabetes... so that is a good thing....

Kirsten

I know eveyone has those days. I'm glad we mature faster though. That's a pro. But there are also alot of cons. I guess you just have to think on the positive side. I've been doing that for a while and it seems to help. I haven't had one of those bad days in a while.

I get the same thing. I have been on the pump for almost 7 years. I took a 3 month break a few months ago.  But I have never not eaten something because I have diabetes. In fact I cannot stand it when someone tells me that I can't eat something.  Its all about correcting for me.

This might sound horrible, but I've been living with type 1 for twenty years now, and some days I'd rather just lay down and let nature take it's course (in other words die) than keep fighting. For twenty years now I've been hearing promises that a cure is right around the corner. I don't care any more, I just don't.

[quote user="TimmyC"] some days I'd rather just lay down[/quote]

I hope those days are few and far between for you, TimmyC.  I know I have bad days too.  Please know that you are not alone.

[quote user="TimmyC"]

This might sound horrible, but I've been living with type 1 for twenty years now, and some days I'd rather just lay down and let nature take it's course (in other words die) than keep fighting. For twenty years now I've been hearing promises that a cure is right around the corner. I don't care any more, I just don't.

[/quote]

Timmy,

I have only had  diabetes for 9 years and in that short amount of time I have felt just like you. And, I have given up numerous times and have gotten really sick, and when I really thought about it, what was I really accomplishing? I learned to take care of myself again at the worst time of my life, when all I wanted to do was end it all. I was literally killing myself slowly but, I picked myself up for me and the people that really loved me, who didn't want to see something bad happen to me. Once I was able to get back on track my blood sugars got better and every day that I woke up, I felt like I was able to do this.

If I was feeling down, I would just go for a walk, or to the gym or call a friend. Those things all made me feel better. I also saw a therapist  who specialized in patients with diabetes as well. Which helped me tremendously.

Are there people in your family that you can talk to? If not do you think you would be able to go talk to a therapist?

I feel your frustrations about hearing that a cure is right around the corner but, there are ways to keep us healthy till and if that ever happens. The technology we have right now does make our lives easier although none of them are cures. It will keep us healthier and live longer.

I hope that you know you are worth it.

If you need anyone to talk to please contact me directly.

Gina

Timmy,

You don't say how old you, although that doesn't really matter, but I do want to say that I can really relate to how you feel.  I've lived with type 1 for 43 years and there is no doubt that there are going to be days when it just plain sucks!  But, after all of these years, I have discovered some really important things and I'm going to share them with you because they are definitely worth knowing.

• Think about the changes in management and medications you have seen in the 20 years you have lived with type 1. 
    • I don't know about you, but I started with a glass syringe and testing my urine.  I actually still have that syringe because every so often I take it out to remind me just how miserable it was back then.  Testing was completely inaccurate, but it was better than no testing at all.  Taking insulin using that glass syringe was better than prior to Dr. Banting's discovery when no insulin was around and people died within a very short time. 
  • It can ALWAYS BE WORSE!
    • I just lost my brother to cancer -- he had relatively no control over the outcome except to do whatever the doctors told him.  In our case, we are given recommendations and guidelines to follow, but for people like you and I who have had it a long time, we know what we have to do and when we need to do it.  It's up to us to do what's necessary to stay healthy.
    • My dear friend from elementary school has cerebral palsy.  Ever since 5th grade, people have made fun of her because of her appearance and how she walked and talked.  It used to make me so angry.  Now, I just feel sorry for those people because they never took the time to get to know her.  She has a disease...she isn't contagious and she's very intelligent.  At our last school reunion, people were amazed to learn that she had gotten married...and immediately saddened to learn that she had lost her husband to cancer.  Our fellow classmates were made to realize that she really is human.

You can call me optimistic, Pollyanna, or, as some people have said absolutely ridiculous, but it is also a proven fact that our attitude has a definite impact on our health.  I would much rather be positive and be healthy then be negative and have it impact how my diabetes control goes. 

Bottom line, Timmy, you're not in this by yourself.  I know you feel like you are, but drop me a note in my private mailbox because I have a feeling there is more going on than just diabetes.  Of course, if you feel better telling us all, have at it.  We're ALL ready to listen to help you get through this tough time.

Hugs!  (I send them to everyone that I'm certain needs them!)

Jane

[quote user="Mr. Weiner"]

Diabetes is retarded. Whats the worst thing about Diabetes to you?

The part I hate is how limited I am and how I have to take shots and eat right or people will look at me like im drunk and ill die.

[/quote]

You know that you CAN get a pump, and it doesn't limit you!!!

BTW: The deff for RETARDED is slow or limited in emotional development, intellectual development or academic progress.

Not that it offends ME but it may offend someone else even if it isn't used in reference to them. You are so politically incorrect.

[quote user="TimmyC"]

[/quote]

Hey Timmy,  why's that horrible?!

I can tell you one thing, it's cruel (to yourself) to keep thinking a cure is gong to save us. 

It's nice to know that there are people and institutions and companies out there working on vaccines and cures and therapies (because there are)  - but it's self destructive to be disappointed every single day when a cure does not magically materialize.

I've had diabetes 31 years and they told me (in the hospital) not to bother counting carbs - because a cure was so close (that was 1977)! 

anyway I wanted to chime in and say "yea me too", and also say that I feel better knowing that NO ONE IS COMING to rescue me and that I have to depend on myself, and do the best job I can do every single day, and that I have an incurable disease... for today, 'cause that's all I got.   defeatist?  arguable.  However that continuous disappointment, if I let it,  was going to kill me.

There are some of us veterans here that know what you are going through, and we all hope you can get to some level of acceptance.  See, I can't keep up a fight for 31 years and not be f%%%%ing exhausted.  However, if I wrap my head around just doing what I can for myself, one day at a time, it's something i can live with.

if you ever need to talk please feel free, my email is at the end of every one of my posts.

Timmy, you are at a burn out point, which we all have living with this disease, but you need to separate life  and diabetes. They are not the same. The "cure" is not coming soon,  and you probably would not like it if it did, but you don't need it to live normally. Everyone has some handicap or issue that affects their life. Ours is primarily insulin, restricted diet and risk of complications. Everything I wanted to do in my teens and twenties was denied to me. I thought my liife was a waste. But after a rough time, including depression and thoughts of ending it, I found that my viewpoint on life was very narrow. I discovered alternatives that have made me very happy with life and pushed my diabetes to be an inconvenience rather that a central part of my life. 45 years type 1, and I dont' expect, or care about, a cure. Non diabetic friends are in poorer health than me, and many have died. I do most of what I enjoy without restriction, have raised a family and have grandchildren.

Refocus on life and what it can be, not on what you wish it to be. You have not even scratched the surface of the wonderful possibilities yet.

Don't give up! Even with diabetes there is so much worth living for.

I hate diabetes too! I never asked for it. The worst thing about it is that I've had it forever and can't even remember the last time I ate something without counting the carbs and/or measuring it. My friends aren't very supportive so I'll be like at a sleepover and they'll be all "No, don't inject yourself" or "No, pleasea wait 'til we leave the room" but it's like I have to and usually I have to do it then. So it bugs me! I wish they'd undrstand and not be such babies!!! I wish thy could understand what I go through evryday but they can't and it isn't their fault but I just wish they wuld atleast let me do my thing. them asking me not to take my insulin is like me asking them not to take their medicine or eat. It's stupid! Diabetes is stupid but I won't let it get to me!