I hope I can do good for my daughter

Where do I start, I myself have type 1 since ‘85
I have 4 amazing children every year since they were born I got them checked it was alway All clear…
On September 13 2020 my only baby girl was diagnosed. Almost two weeks after her birthday…
I Really thought we were out of the bubble for diabetes.

1 Like

Hi Kreey @KreeyS, this news about your daughter must have been disappointing; I’m lucky in that I never received a similar report about any of my children or grandchildren.

From what you wrote here, my thought is your daughter [how old?] is in excellent hands - not so much because of what you say, or what you try to teach her, but by her seeing you, as you are, by what you have done, and you have done ALL this during 35 years while living with diabetes. A life well lived, teaches much more than the best medical tome.

Your words, “I have 4 amazing children” tell me much. Use of the word “amazing” [I’m not analyzing you] plus having four, tells me that you must be outstanding, and that your glucose management skills are top-notch. You can and will do good for your daughter!

3 Likes

I’ll add to @Dennis by saying first hi @KreeyS welcome to TypeOneNation and second that you can get diagnosed with type 1 from birth till your 90’s. So that’s some bubble.

2 Likes

Hi @KreeyS and welcome to the forum. I don’t have children (a decision not related to diabetes) so I can’t begin to imagine what you are feeling. But having diabetes yourself gives you the advantage of experience and understanding. Many parents write in overwhelmed at how much there is to learn about diabetes in general, in addition to how to learning how and when to make treatment decisions for their child. So your daughter has an experienced mom to champion and guide her, as well as a dad and siblings as veterans in her family support system.
Wishing you the best. Please keep us posted on how y the two of you are doing. There may be other parents with Type 1 who have a Type 1 child that you could connect with, although you might have to start your own topic to find them.

2 Likes

That sounds really heart breaking. Try to acknowledge the good things and not so much on the bad things. I know it’s easier said than done but if you ever feel defeated about what’s happening just focus on the good about things. One would be that she was your first baby girl! Congrats. Think of how there are worse diseases in the world. I’m not saying that any diseases are a blessing, but she got the one that will permit her to live a normal life if her diabetes is controlled. Also, older children have a really hard time adjusting to a new life all of the sudden when they are diagnosed they can get very sad. And think of how your daughter won’t go through that upsetting stage. Because diabetes care will be something she’ll be doing at a young age. I wish you the best and that you overcome this and any other obstacles. :sparkles::sparkles::sparkles:

1 Like

My baby girl Just Turned 18 two weeks ago…
She is our miracle baby…
Your words help so so very much, with tears in my eyes. I know it will be ok. I just didn’t want this for her

1 Like

Had her first appointment things are looking good.
She still making a tiny bit of insulin so she considered in the “honeymoon” stage. With all the new advances in medical And good insurance she will be golden.
Got to tell myself
ONE DAY AT A TIME

2 Likes

Hey Kreey. First off don’t feel guilty. I’m type one 37 years now I have 2 amazing kids 1 has diabetes and one doesn’t. I thought my son was healthy he’s good so we decided to have another one by the time our daughter was 1 1/2 she was diagnosed. The guilt ate at me but then I started realizing who else to walk in life with her than me I know we hate seeing our children suffer and hurt but you of all people know what she’s gonna feel and face in life so always be positive hold her hand and show her the way. As a mom sometimes it’s hard to understand our children but you better than anyone can show her life is good. God blessed you with 4 amazing babies so let her live life and enjoy it she has the best teacher ever…her mamma! Best of luck and we pray for y’all if you ever need talk please send message.

1 Like

Welcome!!! I dont have type 1 but my daughter does and I know the feeling of just being heartbroken after diagnosis. The good thing is that as a parent you wont be starting from scratch because you have not only knowledge but experience. That’s the blessing! I knew absolutely nothing but we’re 5 years in and my baby is 8 years old and thriving. I’m glad the first visit went well and stay positive and optimistic! Your daughter will be just fine with you by her side .

3 Likes