I'll Take "Ups & Downs" For $1000, Alex

I was speaking with a fellow type 1, recently. She and I were talking about things that impact our BGs in strange ways.

Here are some things that tend to drop my BG levels:

• When I get nervous (I don't usually get nervous. When I do, it's because I feel unprepared for something)
  • Drinking beer
  • Golfing (I know it's not THAT strange, but it's not like I'm doing aerobic exercise)
  • Laughing/Being in a great mood for extended periods of time (this one is very strange to me. I think I understand it, but it's still strange)
  • Sadness/Crying (not to be confused with depression)

These are the things, that I've noticed, that may make my BGs higher:

• Being sick (most of us know this one, but it's strange when it happens)
  • Anger
  • Depression
  • Flying (I'm not afraid of flying, and I don't have any anxiousness towards flying, but I have noticed my BGs go up after landing...weird)
  • Working at my desk for extended periods of time (I'm sure this is due to inactivity. I still find it strange)

So, what are some things that effect you with ups & downs?

For my 13 year old daughter:

Lows:  school being mentally active makes her bg low

exercise

Highs:  we just figured out rasins make her bg very high

goldfish crackers

Kim

[quote user="ralfe1315"]

These are the things, that I've noticed, that may make my BGs higher:

• Flying (I'm not afraid of flying, and I don't have any anxiousness towards flying, but I have noticed my BGs go up after landing...weird)

[/quote]

I've attributed this to the fact that while flying you're just sitting there with no activity for hours on end.

Hmmm...

Things That Cause Lows:

• Taking hot showers (very annoying)
  • Badminton (will make me very low in what feels like 2 seconds)
  • Walking
  • Running (makes sense)
  • Being cold
  • Having auditions that I'm nervous for
  • Going into a test with a good number (it's almost better for me to start at a higher number before tests)
  • Sleeping in

Things That Cause Highs:

• Being sick (but only with some colds/viruses, nothing else)
  • Being really anxious and stressed

Also for highs:

• Eating certain kinds of pizza
  • Eating foods with refined flour for an extensive period of time

Weirdo highs.......Coffee    Sometimes it goes through the roof...other times, not so much.

[quote user="joy of diabetes"]

Weirdo highs.......Coffee    Sometimes it goes through the roof...other times, not so much.

[/quote]

Me too.  I had to try a week without coffee (much to my dismay) to try to figure out if it was the coffee or my breakfast ratio.  It was both.