I'm getting observed and I need your help!

So as I mentioned in an earlier post, I am in grad school now getting my teaching certificate for secondary education social studies. I have been working in a middle school for about two and a half months now and I am getting observed by my professor and some of the administration next week. I really wouldn't be too nervous about this at all except that the period in which I will be observed is an ESL social studies class. On top of that, I am now worried that this extra stress will throw my blood sugars into a crazy mess. Any words of encouragement or advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Dan, I can still remember the first time I was observed after I had started teaching. I was very nervous. It was such a long time ago that I did not have any way of testing my blood sugar. You can test and probably eat something 30 minutes or so before class so you will not tend to drop too low. I think that is what I would do. Good luck with the evaluation!

Yuck, observations!  I'm in the early education field, but observations seems to be pretty similar with whatever age group.  Just breathe, take it one step at a time.  It always helps me to remember that I am not perfect.  Do I make mistakes in the classroom?  Absolutely!  Am I going to be perfect when I'm observed?  Absolutely not!  Just do the best you can and trust that it will be enough.  It's easier said than done, I know.

My sugars go nuts too when I'm stressed.  Just try to mentally prepare yourself for that possibility, and try not to let the high numbers add to your stress.  Again, easier said than done.  Drink water and maybe some extra bolus-ing?

Good luck!  You can do it!

SO how did your observation go?  I am sorry that I didn't respond sooner......I would agree with what Richard said to do....try to check about a half hour or so before the observation....I am sure you did well:)

My observation is this Thursday, I will report back when after my meeting following the class. I am still quite nervous because somehow, through the luck of the draw, I will be observed teaching social studies to students who barely know English. I really just need to have a little faith in myself because I know I can do this. I am sure five minutes into the class all of my nerves will disappear and I will get into my normal groove.

So, what is your plan?  Will you be focusing on vocabulary???  Do you need any other suggestions???

I will focus on vocabulary but the tough thing with ESL is to not focus on vocabulary so much that the students loose sight of the connection between content and vocab. I am teaching the causes of the revolution so I was going to focus the lesson primarily on pictures. I figure it should be a lot easier to learn content through pictures than through language. 

Good idea on the pictures.....Best of luck to you!  Can't wait to hear how it goes. 

Couldn't have gone better :). I didn't tell my students that we were being observed beforehand, but for some reason they were much more attentive and excited to work throughout the class. Things really couldn't have gone smoother. Not to mention, BG before class 123, BG after class 120. Talk about everything falling into place.

I'm pleased to hear that Dan. It will be so much easier the next time you are observed. The fact you are forewarned so you can be prepared makes a big difference. I used to have the Dean or president of the college pop in for a 15 minute visit, without warning. That was very uncomfortable for me.

I'm sure you feel very good about the way it went. Good job!!!.

Way to go, Dan!  I'm so excited it went well!!