Immunizations

So, I’m sure this might create a bit of controversy, but I’m curious about other parents’ research and decisions. My 4yo son was diagnosed a little over a year ago – no family history, no warning, etc. Since then, I’ve done a lot of research and reading regarding possible causes and correlations . . . and I had another child. Now, the issue of immunizations and causative relationships between certain vaccines and type 1 in mice – and higher rates in vaccinated children – have me questioning exactly what to do with my baby son. The MMR and Hep B vaccines have studies showing possible connections. My docs – peds and endocrinologist-- generally tell me everything is fine, no connection, big pharma and the FDA would never consider poisoning you or your children, keep drinking the kool-aid. Has anyone spoken with their docs about any of this? Have any further research or advice to share? Truthfully, I don’t think anyone will have “the answer,” as I doubt there is one, I’m just really terrified for my baby . . .

Hi @jbyerky,

I can understand your concern about your baby; even though T1D has been identified and treated for 3,000 years there is still much that is not understood or is misunderstood. I’m both a parent and a grandparent and all my descendents have been fully [heavily] vaccinated and to date none have shown signs of T1D - the same goes for my siblings, their children and grandchildren.

Best thinking now is that T1 may very possibly be the result of virus, a trauma or a combination of the two; Agent Orange onset T1 being an exception. In that some vaccines are composed of [killed or alive] virus, you may want to weigh the pros and cons of subjecting your new baby to one of these viruses in light of your older child being T1D.

I can see that this topic could generate very interesting discussion on this site and possibly someone here might conduct an informal survey - or maybe generate interest of a University research team. A couple of years ago we members of the Joslin Medalists [T1 for more than 50 years] did a non-scientific survey of trauma / virus experience prior to diagnosis. A very large numbers of the responders could recall a trauma or severe illness in the year preceding diabetes diagnosis.

It’s important to remember that Type 1 diabetes was not even survivable less than 100 years ago, these kids always died quickly. Kids were first treated with insulin in 1921, then primitive methods to test for Type 1 were developed over the next couple of decades. So it’s not like we have a long history of data to analyze. When I was diagnosed back in 1984, the rate of Type 1 in children was about the same as it was now. Most kids my age were immunized with MMR, but not Hep B, and certainly not widely in lower-income families. There have been some increases of Type 1 in specific populations, particularly in Scandinavian countries and other ethnic groups, but we don’t know why.

These articles might help - I realize it’s frustrating for parents because you want to try to pin it on something in the hopes that prevention or a cure can be found. But the reality is that we really don’t know what causes it yet, and parents need to plan for their kids to live out their lifetimes with it. There are times you will be angry - REALLY angry - but direct it at the disease, not the medical profession or industries that are trying to make our lives better with more effective care, technology, and medications.

I really wish there were better answers, because all long-term diabetics have been told a cure is right around the corner since we were diagnosed decades ago. Try to focus on the good news that there are so many great tools out there now like pumps, CGM and meters, none of which were available when I was diagnosed 30+ years ago. They can go a long way toward helping Type 1’s live a near-normal life. Wish you the best.

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0j_112.htm

http://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/vaccine-education-center/vaccines-and-other-conditions/vaccines-diabetes#.Vv7MivkrJpg

I really appreciate the links --that’s essentially what I was looking for-- and for your candor. While I, too, am grateful for the current technology that is allowing for the survival of my son, I don’t believe everything that can be done to cure this disease is being done, nor do I agree that the medical and pharmaceutical industries (FDA, ETC., ETC.) are truly concerned with the health and safety of myself or my family. There’s simply too much money at stake…

1 Like

I have wondered the same thing. The only answer I have is that I have 3 children and only my youngest has type 1 diabetes. They all had the same vaccinations. No other family has ever had type 1. We don’t know why he is the only one. It has made him more responsible and is conscious about what he eats and other healthy choices. Good luck with making a decision that’s right for you.