Important update on Humalog® and Insulin Lispro availability:

Currently the 10ml VIALS of Humalog and Insulin Lispro may not be available at pharmacies. Limited supplies through the beginning of April 2024.

Pens are not affected by this shortage. Following is a link to the Lilly announcement. | Eli Lilly and Company

1 Like

There should be a governmental and legal investigation of the cause of this. I can think of no reasonable explanation. Lilly did not provide one.

1 Like

MIne was out of AccuChek Guide strips last week but pharmacies rarely stock anything anymore.

1 Like

According to Drugs.com, the shortage is also for the box of 3ml pens. The shortage has been going on since late fall of last year. I have been concerned because the govt program that I am on switched approval from Humalog to Novolog. I like Novolog better (I think I am allergic to an ingredient in Humalog), but I sometimes have to wait awhile for my insulin. The pharmacy has to order it and then I have to wait. This was unheard of a couple of years ago…

Lilly stated that they are working with FDA. Based on this it would appear they may be having quality issue(s) at the manufacturing facility for vials. This is not something they would outright say, however the FDA doesn’t get involved unless something is wrong.

Two hours ago I picked up a prescription for Humalog vials…

@homeschoolingmomof5 another option is Admelog - you might see if that will work for you. Your doctor might be able to get an override from your insurance if necessary, since you’re allergic to Humalog.

Oh I hate to see this news. I use Lispro pens and see where they may be affected too. When I refill my prescription, my pharmacy always has to order them, so I make sure that I give them enough time. thank you for this update.

Novolog and Insulin Aspart has been in short supply since either the end of 2023 or the beginning of 2024. Insulin Aspart Injection Drug Shortage Notice - Drugs.com I wonder if some demand shifted to Lilly as one of what might be many factors causing them to post this vague and oddly undated announcement. I looked up Humalog and Novolog in the FDA drug shortage database. Neither are listed.

I’m concerned that 2 out of 3 rapid acting injectable insulin manufactures might be having supply issues at the same time but not worried. To put the shortage in perspective, earlier this year with I heard from people having trouble getting Novolog from CVS in the middle of the east coast but Walgreens and mail order pharmacies (my Novolog order came from Florida) didn’t have a problem. Also, the number of reports was too small to know if CVS really was failing to flex its supply chain or the kids working the pharmacy didn’t know how to find other solutions resulting in ridiculous “its on backorder” statements.

demand for the analog insulin formulations increased very significantly at the beginning of the year. Much of the demand can possibly be the price “caps” put in place at $35; this put the cost of the analog stuff at or close to the outlay for the rDNA formulations.

It appears to me, that the added demand exceeded what the manufacture community expected.

Thanks Dorie @wadawabbit, but my govt program doesn’t work that way. They cover 1 fast acting and 1 long acting insulin. I just have to deal with what they offer. The Novolog is so much better than the Humalog that they originally covered. It doesn’t feel like acid when I inject. I am just thankful they switched back to Lantus. Levemir was awful. My A1C jumped from 6.1 to 6.5 because it stopped working after 18 hours.

Thank you for posting about this situation. Otherwise, I’d be like, “huh? whaa?”

I’m a T1 living in Los Angeles. I am on a Dexcom G6/Omnipod set up.

Vials of Humalog are currently on backorder at the Rite Aid I go to. There is either an extremely limited supply at their warehouses or they are out completely. Don’t know which. (writing this on 3/22/2024)

Rite Aid did have a few 5-pack boxes of Humalog Kwikpens in stock and, in theory, they have more at the warehouse level. My endo was able to get an rx for them approved through my insurance ($35 copay) despite my being on the Omnipod set up. She told me that she had to input it as “insulin for backup in case of pump failure” in order to get the approval.

If you aren’t aware - and it probably isn’t recommended so please don’t scream at me (lol) - you can use the syringe that comes with each Omnipod to pull the insulin out of a Kwikpen and then inject that insulin into a pod. Like magic!

I was diagnosed in 1978 and throughout all of these years, there were a couple of times where I had to struggle with the finances of getting supplies. However, I’ve never had to deal with a shortage. This is new and hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

@NickLanier Welcome Nicholas to the JDRF Community Forum! You are welcome here and I urge you to visit often and share good advice like this; your 45 years experience has probably given you more insight than many practicing professionals. Sometimes it is the “little things” like what you offered that can make a BIG difference.

I will add, if an OmniPod fails and the user needs insulin immediately, a needle and syringe can be used to draw insulin from the defective Pod for immediate injection.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip about the syringe I tried using a needle syringe a couple of times but it seemed like some insulin went into the pod but not as I thought I had dialed. If I fill with a pen again I’ll try that!

1 Like