Insulin requirements drastically reduced from weather

Has anyone else noticed that their insulin requirements have drastically reduced because of the weather. It's been around mid to high 90s the past few days and everytime i'm outside... my basal needs to be reduced to 50% when walking around and 75% when outside just in general. Last night I was down at a music festival and I had my basal reduced for a good 5 hours. I also ate some food that would not be exactly reccomended to a diabetic and I was surprised that it didn't even made a noticible rise in my blood sugar.

So I was curious if anyone else noticed this?

I was at a lake house this past week and the weather was in the high 70s to low 80s and I saw a little bit of a change. Not so much that I could reduce my overall intake of insulin, but I rarely got a BG over 120, without even paying that much attention to what I was eating. I think it might be that your body is using energy to fight the heat, especially if you are active, so you end up with an effect similar to exercising. That's my theory.

-Rosemary

Melissa,

I think it's a little different for everyone-but everything that effects us effects our blood sugar. What is interesting for me is that I have found sitting in the sun will start my blood sugar dropping and if I move to the shade, it flattens out again (can you say fun CGMS games?!?!?). 

Another juvenation member mentioned a similar reaction to me - only said hydration level had  a huge impact on this effect...

I expect there may not be a good pharmaceutical reason to do it but it sure seems like it'd be fun research to read about...

Cheers!

A-D

[quote user="Melissa"]

Has anyone else noticed that their insulin requirements have drastically reduced because of the weather. It's been around mid to high 90s the past few days and everytime i'm outside... my basal needs to be reduced to 50% when walking around and 75% when outside just in general. Last night I was down at a music festival and I had my basal reduced for a good 5 hours. I also ate some food that would not be exactly reccomended to a diabetic and I was surprised that it didn't even made a noticible rise in my blood sugar.

So I was curious if anyone else noticed this?

[/quote]

hi Melissa,  no not that much, maybe the warm weather is 5% different for me.  I was just thinking, though, a couple of things:  Warm nice weather makes it easier for us to be more active.  I can reduce my TDD by over 50% if I am really active.  The other thing is that stress makes a big difference in how insulin resistant I am.  A typical work week with typical work stress makes me very resistant and my basal rates are higher to prove it.  When I am on vacation I have to lower my basal rates because I am not under as much stress.  soooo maybe a nice warmer day and you are more active and less stressed?  Hope this helps!

its possible that my activity increases. I'm definitely busier than I was during the school year. I'm working three jobs, taking an online class, and also taking misc. babysitting jobs on the weekends. But it's only when I'm outside that I have to change my basal.

I guess for me this is one of the most aggrivating parts of diabetes. ANYTHING and everything can affect blood sugars.

Gee, wouldn't it be magic if the rain made your BG lower.... then I'd have a real reason to live in WA lol

The temperature here has been over 100 for the past few weeks, and my insulin requirements have gone down drastically.

I've noticed that in the heat, I barely eat anything, so. I mean that's why my ratios go down on really hot days.

I noticed in the summer months my blood sugars are much lower than winter months. I am much more active in the summer and eat lighter foods so my waist looks better in my bathing suit LOL

Are you kidding, Gina? I'm so lazy in the summer lol I'm just not motivated... for a while. I work up to that during the day lol but in the mean time I sit around on Juvenation haha