I DON'T MEAN TO STICK MY NOSE INTO ANYONE'S BUSINESS, HOWEVER I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD RECOMMEND INSURANCE COMPANIES THAT COVER YOUR PUMP(MINIMED, PING, OMNIPOD), SUPPLIES, INSULIN, ETC...
IF YOU COULD PLEASE SHARE, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!!
Ive been covered for my pump by many: United Healthcare, Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, GHI
I just heard from an OmniPod rep that they have a special this month for $200, I don't know all the details but it might be worth a call to the rep in your area.
I've been on the Minimed for 18 years and have been covered by United Health Care
Would you recommend any in particular??
I think they are all good but make sure you have support from the rep and CDE/ Endo and maybe fellow pumpers. I like that my CGM and pump are all in one, I like Omnipods technology they seem to be cutting edge with a lot coming up...Talk to the reps and see who you feel comfortable with, look at the features and try to figure out which ones interest you most (and you could see yourself using) and then talk to you care team and see which one they are most familiar with.
Gina…was your pump fully covered by anthem?
I loved United Healthcare. My insurance changed in January and it's been awful.
Most insurance companies cover 80% of your pump and you have to pay the remaining 20%. If you have an old pump you can return it for a $500 rebate. That leaves you with $300-$500 to pay yourself and the pump companies will let you set up a payment plan that will give you 12 months to pay it off.
I think you would need to contact a broker/agent. I imagine almost all companies would provide coverage for the pump, but it would depend on your particular plan. For instance, I have BCBS through a group policy which covers my pump and supplies. Whereas, the same BCBS may not cover it for someone who has an individual policy.
Also wanted to add that most companies cover things like insulin, strips, etc separately from pump supplies. In my case, insulin is covered under the prescription coverage which is co-pay and no deductible. Whereas my pump supplies (pump, infusion sets, reservoirs) are covered under durable medical equipment which has deductible and a fractional patient contribution (in my case 20%). Many companies under individual plans may not offer DME coverage, or if they do it is a high deductible plan with more patient contribution.